Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • thankyou Kevin pietersen
  • Pook

Strauss retires.

shame.

Scamper
    Free Member

Pity, thought he’d carry on.

6 losses in 11 and a more permanent decline in batting form does not help either.

mboy
    Free Member

Nothing to do with KP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19408311

He’s not been on form with the bat for some time now, and though he’s been a great captain, can only imagine that starting to feel like a bit of a passenger in your own team would be quite disheartening, and so he chose to quit on his own terms.

Shame, but I can understand why… Lets just hope that Cook has a wild return to form ASAP, as his batting has left something to be desired on the whole this season!

camo16
    Free Member

Are we thanking KP for Strauss’ form over the last year, or for the overall team losses? IMO it’s a pretty good time for Strauss to call it a day.

Junkyard
    Free Member

and strauss said it had nothing to do with KP so wjhy take the tabloid route in reporting it?

Pook

I fail to see how kp’s behaviour cannot have influenced his decision regardless of what has been said.

I don’t think KP will be welcomed back anytime soon though.

And I had read the BBC article, and I’m not taking the tabloid reporting approach. I’m thinking for myself.

If Strauss had said it was due to KP the door would be permanently closed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

so he siad it had nothing to do with KP = you dont believe him

He say s it was KP you would have belieived him

Why doid you even bother readin gthe comments as it was KP wot done it?

I supect it did not help and perhaps was the straw that broke the camels back but that is all

Pook

I’m not arguing with you junky old chap. I think, as you rightly point out, that KP had something to do with his decision despite what has been said/reported.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bout time for a change what what.. Boy Done Good.

I hope he doesn’t return in say a years time cos’ Gurland are doing poorly and he’s the “default” choice by the ECB..

New Emperor, new clothes please.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

So what are we thanking KP for?

yossarian
    Free Member

Agree with Pook. Strauss is just being a captain and gentleman about Pietersen. Sorry to see him go, but perhaps it’s not a bad thing. We have crested this year and need some new impetus, both from the captain and further down the order.

Pietersen must never play for England again. Plenty of home grown talent coming through. Time to blood some new batters and find a properly decent all rounder.

psling
    Free Member

So, as I understand it from the BBC Sports report, Strauss has retired from ALL cricket, including I assume Club cricket which is a real shame because I’m sure he still has a lot to offer to the game. Does seem to be a scale of disillusionment which suggests more than just poor batting form.

mboy
    Free Member

Why all the Tabloid press approaches to Strauss’ decision? Why don’t you just believe him?

Aside from the fact that Strauss has long been a public and press favourite and can do no wrong (even when he’s in bad form with the bat), and KP has always been a bit of a rogue, why would Strauss be in the slightest bit bothered about what a (former) team mate thinks about him when his stats tell you the success story?

Pietersen must never play for England again.

Why?

I think he’s done something more than a bit foolish, but is being turned into the whipping boy for anyone who wants to play in the IPL, in the same way those who went on the South African tour in the 80’s were exiled for a period of time.

He is still a brilliant cricketer (149 in his last test, hello!!!), he just needs to eat some humble pie, and he should be allowed to play again (if his performance warrants a place). He’s not the first person to air their opinions publicly of team mates and coaches, although he is probably one of if not the most high profile person to do it.

mboy
    Free Member

So, as I understand it from the BBC Sports report, Strauss has retired from ALL cricket, including I assume Club cricket which is a real shame because I’m sure he still has a lot to offer to the game. Does seem to be a scale of disillusionment which suggests more than just poor batting form.

Not wholly surprising though Peter. He’s had a England Central Contract for as long as I can remember, he has sat out of (through choice) many One Day series over the last few years, even a test series or two, he’s hardly played any county cricket for a long time now! Big shame, as indeed given he’s still pretty young he could contribute quite a bit, at least just for his county. But by the same token, he has nothing left to prove. He certainly won’t need the money (like cricketers of old would have done, as it didn’t pay to play for your country in days gone by), and he has a family he probably wants to spend a lot more time with.

Besides, Michael Vaughan retired earlier… Retired from the game at 33, and he’s hardly struggled since has he, consistently commentating for Sky, and also appearing on various TV shows as a presenter since. Strauss is 35, it might be relatively young, but if he carried on it would only be to keep himself busy (or earn money if he needed it, as they used to do with their county “Benefit” years etc.)…

Scamper
    Free Member

KP needs England and England certainly need KP looking at the general state of the batting this year.

yossarian
    Free Member

Why?
    I think he’s done something more than a bit foolish, but is being turned into the whipping boy for anyone who wants to play in the IPL, in the same way those who went on the South African tour in the 80’s were exiled for a period of time.
    He is still a brilliant cricketer (149 in his last test, hello!!!), he just needs to eat some humble pie, and he should be allowed to play again (if his performance warrants a place). He’s not the first person to air their opinions publicly of team mates and coaches, although he is probably one of if not the most high profile person to do it.

I’ve no problem with him being a gobshite. Slating your skipper to your mates on the other team is a bit juvenile but neither here nor there. Telling them where to bowl at your skipper is entirely another matter. Whether or not they already knew its treacherous and cannot be forgiven.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Strauss has had a fabulous career, we thank him for that.

Let’s not sully this discussion with mention of cricketing low lives. @scamper England do not need self serving backstabbing egotists in the team.

loum
    Free Member

yossa +1

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

yossa +2

redfordrider
    Free Member

‘Please come back KP. All is forgiven!’…and that’s just the South African Cricket team!

kimbers
    Scamper
    Free Member

Do we actually know for fact what was in the text messages? I presume we will know within a short time following his iminent meeting with Management depending on if KP is picked for England or not. Although a spell on the sidelines will do him good, in practice its a case of he has to be in for good or out for good form India onwards.

Obviously he and his advisors are largely to blame, for an individual to become so outcast and isolated within the team the managment and captain need to take some blame. South Africa although rightly keeping out of it, don’t seem to see what all the fuss is about the “banter”. I doubt KP sent chapter and verse as to how to bowl to Strauss, and guess it was some quip if ill judged about the Captain’s technique and toungue in cheek bowling suggestions.

As for KP spouting wrongly all over the media, certain England players have not exactly been keeping it in the changing room either, in their critisism of KP.

dannyh
    Free Member

It feels very weird when someone I played cricket with at University has retired from the game! I’m now getting to the age where most of the sports stars are younger than me and that makes me feel OLD! Apologies for the shameless name-drop, but I’m running out of them nowadays as they’re all retiring!

I doubt he’ll remember the few games I made it into the 1st XI – I was mostly in the seconds – one unfortunate call-up occured when I’d already planned a night on the piss (2nds didn’t have a game the next day). I opened the bowling (against Edinburgh I think), sent down about five overs of utter rubbish and spent the rest of the day nursing a hangover on the boundary. I think he might have been captain that day, but I really can’t remember too much about it.

You have to separate the Pietersen issue from Strauss resigning. I remember him as very level-headed even at Uni – are we really saying someone who has played 100 tests, 50 as captain, would give it all up because of a doos like Pietersen. I think not. Also, Strauss had only been in the team a year when Pietersen surfaced – I think he would have had him pretty well sussed after a few games.

Pietersen is a pillock and a nasty one to boot – the team is better off shot of him (in the long run) – just don’t assume everything revolves around him. That’s what he’d like to think, when he’s kissing his autographed photo of himself and strutting around like he owns the place.

Cook now needs to get a grip quickly – amazing to think he’s played 70 odd tests already, but I think the man-management side is what needs to be done first. Swann, Broad, Anderson and plenty of other need to know that the pissing about stops here – last warning.

Good luck to Andrew Strauss in whatever he takes up.

yossarian
    Free Member

I doubt KP sent chapter and verse as to how to bowl to Strauss, and guess it was some quip if ill judged about the Captain’s technique and toungue in cheek bowling suggestions.

I don’t doubt you are right. However if I were in the same eleven I’d not want to have that thought in my mind at all when facing my first delivery. It’s a respect thing, a team thing and a trust thing. KP hasn’t just damaged his relationship with the captain, he’s damaged it with every other team mate, the selectors AND the supporters. You don’t tell the opposition anything, even in jest, that has any chance of damaging your teams chances. If you do it, expect to be shown the door.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘thankyou Kevin pietersen’ is closed to new replies.