• This topic has 165 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)
  • Thank the Lourdes
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ of course

Andy_K

Bet Gee’s a happy man

pictonroad

Sod that for a laugh, shame.

Points on the board for Gee though. 😮

chakaping
    Free Member

I looks like Avoriaz when it rains.

**** lethal.

Klunk
    Free Member

great run from Bruni !

ferrals
    Free Member

So we’ve learnt god hates 29ers?

wiggles
    Free Member

Well that was a load of shit, only positive is that 15+ riders were in the bad weather not the top 5 or something, so shouldn’t effect the overall much.

fifeandy
    Free Member

So, to summarise:
    Womens was sadly a farce as usual – 22s down gets a top 10.
    Screw riding that track in the rain!!
    Some good riders have a pretty good head start in overall due to conditions, wonder if any can hold on and take the lead to the end?
    29ers? To be continued…
    What madness made Vergier run a mud spike? I’d have thought in those conditions you want the biggest surface area you can manage?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d hardly call the women’s a farce.

fifeandy
    Free Member

What on earth else do you call it with such big time gaps?
    22s back in the Mens got you 67th, top 10 covered by 5s.

Its supposed to be a World Cup which implies a certain level of competition. It’s a bit mind boggling they are even managing to attract sponsors when they are that far off the pace.

cchris2lou

so what do you suggest ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, but you’re a bit of a DH mysoginist, so best ignored to be honest Andy.

fifeandy
    Free Member

That, I don’t have an answer to. Suspect its largely due to not enough participation at grass roots level = too small a talent pool to draw from. and if thats the case it’ll take at least 5-10 years to fix even if we could start tomorrow with an equal number of young girls/boys riding MTB’s on their local trails.

@Nobeer, get over yourself, anyone with a set of eyes can see that 5-6 competitive riders doesn’t make a world cup level competition.

jam-bo

He’s right though.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I think Fifeandy should get himself up to fort bill and show the woman what a great time/rider he is.

I bet he be more than 22s back…….

fifeandy
    Free Member

Sigh, clearly MTB Rob doesn’t read the forum too much, but for his benefit, i’ll reiterate that i’m a card carrying mincer and would likely need to wear a nappy to attempt a WC DH track.

And yet amazingly that has absolutely no relevance to the depth of competition in the event in question.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It could be worse, we could be forced to watch the lap after lap drudgery of xc….

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

DH isn’t Moto GP, time differences are much more similar to WRC.

As for Caludio banging on about the 29er question only being answered in Fort William – well it **** won’t will it Claudio because there are other races that might be better suited to 27.5 – and the fastest rider from the top 10 qualifying was on a 27.5.

superstu
    Free Member

Really interesting but a shame weather made the men’s a non event.

robowns
    Free Member

Fifeandy does have a point as much as it is a shame.

Run of the day was from Connor Fearon.

jam-bo

and the fastest rider from the top 10 qualifying was on a 27.5.

Did you actually watch the race?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, the massive field of competitors makes the mens a joke – the time it takes to send them all down the track means the event is to open to weather changes.

Cut World cups down to 30 riders and include more tracks in a season.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Did you actually watch the race?

Fastest in the race, from the top 10 was Bruni – wasn’t it. Am I wrong? Vergier,

Did I miss him suddenly swapping to a 29er?

Edit: Wait you’re right Minaar 59th

ferrals
    Free Member

from a viewing point of view it does get dull with R. Atherton winning the entire time. For the casual viewer it makes it less interesting – e.g. my wife doesn’t see the point of watching the women as it’s a foregone conclusion. Can’t really ask Rachel to slow down though so the others need to step up!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

jam-bo

Fastest in the race, from the top 10 was Bruni – wasn’t it.

And Danny hart crashed on a straight section of track….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yeah, the massive field of competitors makes the mens a joke – the time it takes to send them all down the track means the event is to open to weather changes.

Cut World cups down to 30 riders and include more tracks in a season.

Must be a troll.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Must be a troll.

Aren’t a lot of the fast guys asking for the same thing?

fifeandy
    Free Member

@Tom_W interesting idea cutting the mens field right down, but then you’d have to run another set of high level races and have some promotion/relegation/wildcard criteria. Not sure DH is popular enough to generate enough income to be booking double (or more since you want more races) race weekends.

@jam bo. Think Hart landed on the side of the bank which was what was responsible for him getting out of shape. Shows how slippy it was that he couldn’t straighten it up though.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tier two level race, eg DH2 – like superstock – using off the shelf parts only?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From a bike geek instagram post Greg out down the fastest from the top ten qualifiers. Certainly a run that stood out in the weather.
    Cutting the field would be a step backwards it like skipping the middle 50 laps of a gp because the exciting bits are the start and end. If you dont have the attention span don’t blame the event.
    Women’s needs the time and the representation to grow, to get the grass roots through needs work, support and initiative (things like women’s races and days which the haters love to hate) and things will improve. There was a point where if your name wasn’t Williams it wasn’t worth turning up to a grand slam utility people didn’t want to to cut them down to 4 games.

Qualifying shows that there are women who can challenge, we don’t really know how much the wind played a part on race day.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and to add…
    If you want the top 30 to race and I guess 5 women? How are you going to fund that? How much do you think a WC costs to host? Given that wouldn’t even cover most of the top teams it’s getting a bit silly and there would not be more races.
    As far as other series goes there are Regional, National and things like Euro series to feed in. Problem is with such with such a northern hemisphere/Euro based series the rest of the world needs to decamp up for the season, people like Connor Fearon would be stuck in the Aus Nationals still, who is going to fund trips to a low coverage 2nd tier event? Riders like that get their chance for a breakthrough at the WC level and get to learn as they go along. It’s part of the way feeding through works.

There may be work to do and the weather does play a part but as said in commentary it’s a freak occurance really for a race to turn like that normally the weather hits and the best can come out on top.

chiefgrooveguru

Shame about the weather! At least when the rain came down you could clearly see the seconds being lost but even before then the wind was costing the riders an unassailable amount of time.

chakaping
    Free Member

They’ve already cut the numbers.

30 elite men would not be enough given the depth of talent currently.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And would make for a short days viewing. One of the best days watching is surely the wander down from the top to the arena at FW, cutting the numbers would seriously affect that, and tbh it’s those spectators that are the important ones, not armchair wannabes that have never done dh….

nickc

the time it takes to send them all down the track means the event is to open to weather changes.

just like any other outdoor sport that takes a day to complete then, like say; Golf..? 😆

I think the extreme closeness of the Men’s race highlights the opposite in the Women’s, but the racing is no less interesting because of that, and what’s the option, a race of 10, or 5 racers? Any slip up or crash between the top 10 will still have an effect, it’s not Rachel or Tanee or PomPon can have a fag break half way down and still win.

MrPottatoHead

Less riders but 2 runs and average the results.

rickmeister

It could be worse, we could be forced to watch the lap after lap drudgery of xc….

Personally, DH is best on the telly box… top level xc best at the event …

mikewsmith
    Free Member

MrPottatoHead – Member
    Less riders but 2 runs and average the results.

How does that work for funding? Why the desire to boot people from the start list?
    To get 30 UCI points is a tough ask, the people there are on top of their games.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

To get 30 UCI points is a tough ask, the people there are on top of their games.

Superstock riders are at the top of their games as well, I’m not sure that warrants pitting them against the elites in WSB/Moto GP.

I don’t watch DH for the endless low ranking privateers, I watch it to see who wins out of the actual consistently fast lot – and that means watching them race on a reasonably level playing field – not having some nobody wipe out the competition because it took two hours to get all the competitors down and it that time the weather had gone from dry to pissing it down.

It’s that or run two race events like WSB and issue points for both, or issue points for qualifying.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Thank the Lourdes’ is closed to new replies.