Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Thai Green Curry – Does it exist..?
  • yunki
    Free Member

While there can be little argument against Thai Curry being the absolute pinnacle of delicious, is it real..?

The green and red stuff that we get here, is it authentic tasting..?
    I only ask because as delicious and utterly beguiling as it is, I can’t help but wonder if it’s a by product of manufacturing, perhaps some sort of effluent from the Dairylea factory..

Do we have any Thais or experienced Thailand visitors able to shed any light on this subject..?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

My old flatmate spent a lot of time out there and would some times bring a fair bunch of the raw ingredients back. Cooked up a really cook green curry. Tasted pretty similar to the stuff a good Thai restaurant would serve, if with a little less finesse.

creamegg
    Free Member

ive eaten some green stuff in Thailand. hard to know what it was it was so spicy

SamB
    Free Member

The green curry I had out in Thailand was a touch spicier than the stuff I’ve had over here, but otherwise was pretty similar.

Having said that I was in fairly tourist-friendly areas of Thailand – I don’t know what it’s like out in the jungle 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

We spent a month in thailand on our honeymoon. During the stay we took a thai cooking course. Was quite an eye opener in terms of the flavours, ingredients and techniques and how much they differ from the way the British have been taught to cook thai curries.

Hang on a minute, Ive still got the recipe book from the course here in the kitchen. I’ll photograph the Green curry recipe..

Keef
    Free Member

good man Stoner !

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

The important bits was the cooking of the coconut cream with the palm sugar and curry paste, then the meat. It’s like poaching the meat in fat, as opposed to in watery coconut milk that we do in the UK. Much richer texture and flavour.

I still cook to this method, minus a couple of ingredients, as paste, palm sugar, and coconut cream are relatively easy to get hold of.

Pea eggplant and sweet basil are harder to get hold of.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Stoner, he needs a photo of page 13 too!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That recipe looks pretty similar to what I would cook as a green curry. 😕

(What you buy as pre-made green and red curries are pretty sanitised though IMO – and way too “creamy”. You have a better chance with pre-made Bangladeshi curries I reckonz.)

One thing I realised recently (as a scrimper tip type thing) – coconut milk in a can is a bit pricey these days, but the little boxes of creamed coconut (almost impossible to chop with a knife 😆 ) bring the price down to a quarter that of cans.

Stoner
    Free Member

Creamed coconut is OK, as long as it’s got the fat levels of coconut cream rather than just being coconut milk with water removed.

The first few hours of the course were spent making coconut cream and coconut milk straight from coconuts. A bit of a drag, that.

p13 coming up

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The first few hours of the course were spent making coconut cream and coconut milk straight from coconuts.

Normal people don’t have time for that kind of thing.

But some of them do have time to make their own paste. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Normal people don’t have time for that kind of thing.

Oh she said that. But just wanted to make the foreigners suffer a bit for their food for a change 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

zilog6128

I buy tins of coconut cream rather than coconut milk. The tins are smaller, and a lot cheaper – you get the same amount of coconut just mixed with less water (so it’s thicker as well which is a bonus). Waitrose often has the organic stuff on offer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I hope you wash your hands before cooking this evening’s dinner. 😡

poonprice
    Free Member

I’ve had Red, Yellow and Green out in Thailand.. all exist and all tasty…

andytherocketeer

Recipe I use is much the same I think, and is the one from the website of my favourite Thai restauraunt in Holland.

http://www.sabai-sabai.nl/thaise_recepten/kip_curry.html (need to stick it in google transalate)
    Couple of other Thai recipes on there too.
    But as others have mentioned, it is kind of poaching the chicken, rather that frying stuff and adding sauce.

250 grams of chicken breast
    2 tablespoons green curry paste
    3 dl coconut milk (or coconut scream)
    4 Thai eggplants
    15 Thai basil leaves (bai Horapha)
    2 red chillies
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 tablespoons oil
    1 lemon leaf

Cut the eggplant into 4 equal wedges. Cut the lemon leaves into thin strips.
    Cut the chilli 2 times diagonally in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
    Heat the oil in a wok and stir fry the green curry paste until the aroma is released.
    Turn heat to low and gradually add half of the coconut milk, stir
    mixture and let it boil. Add the chicken and thinly sliced ??lemon leaf
    and stir-fry until the chicken is tender. Add the rest of the coconut milk and Thai eggplant and cook it boil. Season to taste with sugar and fish sauce. The basil leaves and red peppers and add one more
    by stirring. Garnish with some basil leaves and some red pepper.
    Is only used coco scream then the curry creamier.
    If necessary, add some water to dilute.

Instead of chicken can also use beef, pork, fish or shrimp.
    For a vegetarian curry can be a mix of fresh vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, baby corn, carrot, Thai eggplant, beans, beans, snow peas, mushrooms
    and tauhu (tofu) take.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Thai Green Curry – Does it exist..?’ is closed to new replies.