Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Texting STOP to stop texts
  • nickjb
    Free Member

The hardened sceptic in me says any kind of response to spam texts marks the number as active and a target for more spam so I just delete them, trouble is now I seem to be getting more of them. Not hundreds but enough to want them to stop. Should be I be texting STOP as they suggest or using some other means?

Tiger6791

Screwfix are like the worst Bunny Boiler girlfriend ever!!!

They text me all the time and I never reply, even Glenn Close would have taken the hint by now

NewRetroTom

I was getting some from B!Games which I just ignored.

It turns out they were charging me £0.99 per week and had been doing for over a year.

Once I realised (after querying what “services from other providers” was on my EE bill) I asked EE to stop the service.

I’m now trying to get my money back. B!Games/Buongiorno have offered to refund half but I haven’t accepted as I don’t think I should have to pay for a service I never wanted and have never used.

No idea how I was signed up. B!Games claim I must have clicked on a pop-up.

footflaps

I just block the number (iPhone).

Cougar

Like spam, the answer is ‘it depends’.

Legitimate companies will honour STOP requests, but if it’s unsolicited bobbins from scammers then you’re just validating your phone number (potentially at a premium rate).

jimdubleyou

You can forward the text to your network’s spam monitor. They will work out if it’s legit or not.

At least, Three do – I assume other networks are similar…

deadkenny
    Free Member

STOP texts aren’t honoured by spam/scammers and can be used to stick you on the confirmed active number list.

Many phones have a facility to block a number, so you can try that.

Sadly there’s no TPS for text messages (though I recommend registering with TPS anyway), but the messages are illegal if you have not requested them so report them via ICO https://ico.org.uk/concerns/marketing/spam-texts/

(noting that usually companies argue that you have given permission at some point in the deep dark past because you did or didn’t tick a relevant box. Usually BS).

And yes, some operators have a text reporting facility as mentioned above. I think you basically forward the text to a particular number to report them.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

All phone companies have a forwarding number for sending spam texts and caller details too. Check yours carrier’s number out online. Numbers identified by this registry process as spam senders are shut down. Since I started forwarding spam texts to my (GiffGaff) carrier’s number – I no longer get spam texts, ever. I think I may have somehow been black-listed on the spammer’s database as a risky number to send texts to.

Replying ‘STOP’ to the spammers just seemed to make things worse.

ads678

I just block the number (iPhone).

I do the same (Andriod)

Cougar

You can forward the text to your network’s spam monitor. They will work out if it’s legit or not.

At least, Three do – I assume other networks are similar…

That’s a good point. O2’s is 7726 (‘spam’ on a keypad).

konabunny
    Free Member

Catfacts?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

EE have something similar. I believe they all do. 7726

(edit) ooooops

drlex
    Free Member

Catfacts?

Came, expecting such; leaving with warm glow of satisfaction.

bigblackshed

Forward the offending text to SPAM (7726). They will ask you to forward the number, it then pretty much stops. IME anyway.

nickjb
    Free Member

Thanks all. Have forwarded to SPAM and it seems promising.

perchypanther
    Free Member

STOP

slowoldgit
    Free Member

(edit) ooooops

– was for the second of a double post. Now that the first has been taken down, it just looks silly.

Stoner
    Free Member

the most common lies in the world:

1) STOP will make spam texts stop
    2) I have read the Terms & Conditions
    3) Of course I love you
    4) Remember Me on STW log in page.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Texting STOP to stop texts’ is closed to new replies.