Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Teva Shoes…HELP!!
  • burgatedicky

Having a bit of a foot conundrum at the moment guys, so anyone got any advice?
    I’ve decided to get a pair of Teva Links Mid but have size 9.5 feet.
    Obviously Teva only do full sizes, so being a pedantic kind of guy I’ve picked up both the size 9’s and 10’s.
    They are now both sat on the floor in front of me and I can’t decide which pair fit better! (Sounds crazy I know)

The 10’s have a lot of room in the toe box, and are comfortable with Sealskinz on, but when I just wear my normal thin “summer” socks they are a bit loose. Not to the point of falling off, but I need to tighten the heck out of the lases.

The 9’s are tight all round, but have a better fit in the toe. They are very tight with sealskinz on and I have to loosen the laces right out.

Basically, what I’m after is anyone with experience of Teva’s in my situation.
    Do the shoes “give” a bit with use and stretch?

I’m erring on the side of thr 10’s at the moment, but anyone got any better ideas??

Thanks in advance!

ransos
    Free Member

Don’t. I bought some (expensive) Teva trail shoes, and they are rubbish. Leaked from the start (despite having an Event liner) and have worn through in two places after around a year’s use.

devs
    Free Member

Mine seem to have shrunk after repeatedly getting wet and drying out so go with the bigger ones.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I bought some (expensive) Teva trail shoes, and they are rubbish. Leaked from the start (despite having an Event liner) and have worn through in two places after around a year’s use.

Sounds familiar…

Pair of these?

On my second pair, after warranty replacement. Am going to bin this pair and buy something better.

svalgis
    Free Member

Teva do make half sizes. Available from Bike Discount for example.

That said, I went for half a size smaller than normal and I don’t regret it. I won’t be using them in the winter though – if I was I’d go a size up to fit warmer socks and still get some wiggle room.

I’m pleased with my Links overall, though I do miss the grip of 5.10’s sometimes. Quality seems spot on though, and I’ve yet to get wet in them despite the awful autumn weather.

burgatedicky

Cheers so far guys, bit miffed about the longevity issues reported.
    I never heard of any problems with Teva shoes from the shop guys (but then I guess they’re trying to sell them!)

Anyone got some Links that have fallen apart?
    All the reveiews (inital and longterm) that I googled seemed to say they were pretty robust…

ransos
    Free Member

CFH, mine look pretty similar. They’ve worn through where the mesh meets the leather at the front. I’ve tried Nikwax re-proofer to no avail, they still leak like a sieve. My Meindl boots on the other hand are excellent, so I think I’ll buy a pair of their trail shoes.

fabs

I bought a pair of their links bike shoes. I am in between sizes, and opted to go down a size.

I regret this as they size up fairly small anyway. A year on and they have stretched a little, and fit well. However before they stretched, they were not all that comfortable – Last winter my toes got particularly cold as the circulation was restricted, and I was forced to wear thin socks!

They are great now, but I would probably go up a size next time to avoid a couple of months breaking them in / stretching them!

Also, that “ion mask technology” water resistant nonsense didn’t last long (about half a ride). So if you want dry feet, use your seal skins!

fabs

Teva do make half sizes. Available from Bike Discount for example.

Strange that http://www.teva.co.uk doesn’t!

Wish I had known this earlier.

traildog
    Free Member

I thought the “ion mask” meant you still got wet feet, just the the fabric didn’t hold onto the water. If you’re wearing socks, then I’m sure they’ll still hold the water though.

DezB
    Free Member

Aw, how sweet. OP in need of a nice lady to bend down in front of him checking the fit?

BadlyWiredDog

I thought the “ion mask” meant you still got wet feet, just the the fabric didn’t hold onto the water.

Yep, it’s just an advanced water repellent treatment which is applied to the whole shoe – uppers, laces etc – and means water isn’t absorbed as readily into the materials of the shoe, so they should dry out faster when they do inevitably get wet, but won’t be waterproof.

fabs

I understand that it is not supposed to be fully waterproof, and I expect to get wet feet anyway so I don’t really see it as an issue! I was just trying to comment/help the OP, who mentioned sealskins.

But the ion mask stuff just doesn’t last. Initially, the water rolled off in droplets, and the materials didn’t really absorb anything. Now, if I put my running shoes and my Teva on a radiator to dry after I have used them in the wet, my running shoes are dry the next day, but my Tevas are usually still damp!

In fairness the Tevas are still in good shape after a year, and I expect to get another year or two out of them. So they are fairly solid.

burgatedicky

It’s OK DezB, I’ve just a bit of a complex about women and shoes….after my parents beat me with a slipper as a naughty child…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Teva Shoes…HELP!!’ is closed to new replies.