Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Teva Links waterproof shoes – anyone use them?
  • retro83
    Free Member

Looking for some shows for flats which will resist getting soaked, Teva Links came up as an alternative to 5 10s.

Anybody use them? Aside from the ‘jazzy’ purple appearance they appear to be just the ticket.

nigew
    Free Member

Hi, Ive being using a pair since September, their not quite as grippy, still very good though but they dry so much faster than 5 10s.
    They do get wet despite the “ion protection” or whatever its called but dont hold the water
    I would buy them again.

honourablegeorge

Not a fan of the appearance either – and I ended up on the other colour, ‘cos the black were sold out – but they are pretty decent in terms of being splashproof, and the bud wipes/rinses off them really easy post ride too. Haven’t been out in a proper, full-on downpour, but every ride I’ve been on since I got them has been wet to some extent, and I’ve never had wet feet, they’ve dried quickly, and I’ve not found myself wanting for grip in any way.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Had a pair for Christmas. Used once so far for a *very* sloppy Wharncliffe session.

Thoughts? Grip levels are slightly less than my old 5:10s, but nothing to complain about. They’re marginally better for pushing up in, although that still equates to poor (although given the ground conditions, you’d need footie boots to actually get grip)

They’re not waterproof in the slightest (actually soak through faster than my Freeriders)in a “stand in a puddle” way, however they don’t hold water, so you don’t end up with massive heavy cold sponges attached to your feet, and they seem to shrug off splashes fairly well. After 4 hours playing in the shite, my feet were damp, but not sopping, and with woolieboolies, still moderately warm.

They then got a proper drenching to clean them off – drying out has taken a lot longer than expected. They got to “mostly dry” overnight, but the tongue and ankle collar took another 36 hours before they were bone dry.

Oh and yellow laces – crap idea!

honourablegeorge

They do come with two sets of laces, to be fair.

retro83
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies.

JonEdwards – Member
    They’re not waterproof in the slightest (actually soak through faster than my Freeriders)in a “stand in a puddle” way, however they don’t hold water, so you don’t end up with massive heavy cold sponges attached to your feet, and they seem to shrug off splashes fairly well. After 4 hours playing in the shite, my feet were damp, but not sopping, and with woolieboolies, still moderately warm.

That sounds pretty good.
    I used ‘waterproof’ 😆 walking shoes in Betws last year. Did penmachno on the first evening. Didn’t manage to dry them out at all over the 4 days i was there! Thought I might get trench foot by the end 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I just got a pair. In terms of sole stiffness and grip and feel they’re very similar to my AM40s (i.e. I’ve never once wished I had more grip and they’re stiff enough to pedal hard on long rides without aching feet).

Mr Edwards, did you stuff yours with newspaper when drying them out or was that 36 hours drying time unaided?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yes I stuffed them with newspaper for the initial 12 hours, which left me with a pile of papiermache and some wearably damp shoes. The rest of the time they’ve just been on the kitchen floor within spitting distance of the radiator – so warmish, but not hot.

(to be fair, they’ve dried quicker than my walking boots, which got fairly wet on NYE and are still wet, despite similar treatment)

devs
    Free Member

I’ve been using them all winter along side my 5:10s. They are nearly as grippy but not quite. They let water through much quicker than the Impact2s that I also use but they are quicker to dry. They certainly aren’t the miracle replacement they were touted as on here when they first came out and most certainly don’t warrant the price tag. They are much colder when wet too. I have used both the Links and 5:10s with sealskinzs and stealth tights which have proved to be a great combo in the wet. The difference then is the links are lighter when wet. But colder as I already said. The 5:10s are comfier and better to walk in if you require to do hike a bike. I’ll be using both on the Puffer, just as I have for the training. They are more of a “as well as” rather than a replacement for 5:10s. If I had to choose just one it would be the 5:10 but the majority of my riding doesn’t involve getting soaked right through. If it did then the Links might get the vote purely because they dry in a quicker time but it’s not the “water repelling super quick dry before the next ride” solution that some had us believe.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Agree with the above, not quite as grippy as 5.10s but quicker drying and comfier to walk around in.

ransos
    Free Member

I have some Teva walking shoes, but can’t remember which model. Anyway, they’re not waterproof and not grippy. I’d look elsewhere.

lilesy
    Free Member

bought for winter 3 months ago as my beloved shimano am40’s arnt very warm especialy when wet,
    alot warmer and thicker but had no grip issues they are thicker but thats what makes them warm even when wet threw may feel a bit cumbersome compared to summer weight flats

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Teva Links waterproof shoes – anyone use them?’ is closed to new replies.