Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Teva Links, Oppinions?
  • Bigmantrials

I am looking to replace my riding shoes, i currently have a very old pair of 5:10 Impacts which i picked up for £15 off ebay over a year ago!

Currently I have been looking at either 5:10 Freerider VXi’s or Teva Links, I am currently leaning more towards the Links however I am aware that they are not quite as sticky as the 5:10’s, but how noticable is it?

There is something about the smooth section of sole on the 5:10’s that I can’t get my head around.

I will also be fitting new pedals, current plan is DMR Vaults.

Oppinions on both the Teva’s and 5:10’s are very welcome, I am having ahard time deciding which to go for.

Thanks

Adam

ton

very comfy, dry quickly………..but 5/10s are better.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Heavy, sole is too stiff, sizing is weird and don’t dry out anywhere nearly as quickly as folklore will have you believe.

One of those products where I just cannot see how they managed to get good reviews…

neilwheel
    Free Member

The Tevas are good, as Ton above, but the company have decided to stop making bike shoes, not sure exactly why.
    I have strange shaped feet and they work for me.
    I have a set where the outsole reinforcing, at the ball of the big toe, split just after a year of not too heavy use.
    I tend to trash the soles of 5:10s so wanted something with more durability but ride with SPDs most of the time.

vonplatz
    Free Member

I have only ever owned links and not 510s so I have nothing to compare to, but I like em. Very comfy and plenty of grip. I got them wet and left them in an airing cupboard overnight. They were dry in the morning.

agent007
    Free Member

Very happy with my Links, 2 years old now and still going strong. Never felt like I’ve needed more grip on the pedal even with the pedal studs set on the shortest setting.

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

I’ve had Tiva Links and currently own some 5:10 Freerider VXi elements. My links lasted 18 months from new, winter-summer-winter, and were grippy enough, dried well on the radiator with news paper in and were comfortable. And that’s also my opinion of the Freerider VXi elements (2 months in) a little more grip, maybe. I also had my doubts about the flat soul but haven’t noticed any lack of traction but haven’t tried them in winter slop/wet grass yet either.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of links, can’t stand them for riding, sole isn’t that grippy compared to five tens and I find the sole isn’t as stiff so you can feel the pedal through them. They don’t dry out as fast as people seem to say they do but they definitely aren’t as heavy wet. I’m using some freerider vxi which I much prefer and wear my links everyday as they are super comfy.

Depends what your after but as a riding shoe I didn’t like them.

timmys

I much prefer my Links to the 5:10 Impacts I had before. Slightly less grip but I prefer that and find the amount is spot on with a pair of Vault pedals.

FOG

Only worth buying if they are cheap, which they are at the moment at J E James and various other places.
    I do wear mine regularly but if I am doing a longer ride, I always wear my Sombrios.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ve also had 5:10s and Links.

For me, the better drying time and lighter weight when wet was very imporant, as I was simply ruining the 5:10s.

The Tevas are nowhere near as grippy though, really quite an obvious difference I thought. Matter of taste, of course.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

DaveyBoy’s comments are spot on. Get some 5/10 freeriders

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sizing is broken in them, just have some as some dossing around shoes that I got in exchange for helping a mate run a race support day. The inside of the heels is trashed though.

davosaurusrex

Expensive but the new 5 10 VXi impacts have a fully treaded sole and are supposed to be light, water resistant and dry well too. I also like the look of the specialized 2fo which are out soon but probably too vented for most of the year in the uk

digga
    Free Member

Had some links. They were comfy and gripped okay to start, but then the soles seemed to go brittle and the waffle pattern broke up, so zero grip. Had them re-soled with 510 Stealth rubber and they;re still going strong, but I’ve just bought some 510 Impact VXIs and they are the dogs bollocks – light, grippy, good at repelling splashes and look to be fairly quick drying too. They just look a bit speshull.

mudsoul
    Free Member

Happy with my Links mid tops which I’ve owned for about 8 months now. They’re very comfy and they do dry reasonably quickly. I alternate between flat and clipless shoes and I like both on the stiffer side.

Big-M
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of Links, wore them for a week in the Alps recently, I like the stiffer sole as I have big feet and soft sole tend to wrap around the pedals too much.
    They fit well, they’re comfy and dry as quickly as any other shoes of a similar type.

If you can find some in your size and they’re cheap then get them.

mcnultycop

Two pairs of Links, think they are brilliant. One Hi, one Lo.

The water dispersal thing is bollocks, at least after the first ride. They dry out like any other trainer, newspaper and radiator. I have two pairs to allow for drying times!

daveh
    Free Member

Happy enough with mine for £42.50 but only for commuting, I like full fat FiveTen Impact grip for proper offroad so no other shoe will do. Impact VXis for me as soon as they become a little more reasonably priced.

daveh
    Free Member

In fact they have become more reasonable, £80 plus some free socks! Purchased. Thanks for the nudge OP!

weeksy

I have both the usual suspects and there’s very very little in it.

The links laces are lots better, as is their overall softness/ comfort inside.

Soles on the links are heavier and lack feel.

biglee1

If you`ve size 6.5, 11 or 12 feet bargain freeriders http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Footwear/Approach-Shoes/Freerider

hainman
    Free Member
    Bigmantrials

Thanks for all your help guys, I have just had a look at the new Specialized ones mentioned above, the 2FO ones, I think I might hold out for those, they look like a very good middle ground!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Teva Links, Oppinions?’ is closed to new replies.