• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by scud.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tethering A Garmin To The Bike
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I Bought a garmin edge 810 a few weeks ago and within 2 rides I had rotated in the mount twice and knocked it completely off the bike once. Luckily I saw it fall.

I have temporarily used an old camera wrist strap looped through the back of a garmin silicon case to give add a bit more security but its not the best as the garmin could still come out of the silicon case.

I read about people making holes for lanyards with a heated implement or unscrewing the case / rubber usb cover to wedge in a knotted lanyard but I would rather avoid anything warranty voiding for now if possible.
    I have also searched for a hard case similar to the clip on one ones available for phones but I couldn’t find anything. Probably due to the shape of unit not really lending itself to one.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Andy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had a bit of trouble with the mount and rubber bands on some bars. But fine on stems or anything without a taper. Also on the stem it’s out of the way for being knocked. On the mtb I have a rigid mount and not had any issues with that.

njee20
    Free Member

Does it not have a loop for a lanyard? The 1000 does.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

As does the 510. It came with a lanyard that I put over the stem, just in case.

mrblobby
    Free Member

No such loop on the 810.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Would be interested to hear of any suggestions as I’ve had the same problem myself a few times with my 800, usually after coming down fast/rocky descents.

I bought a garmin out front mount but fitted it so it’s facing inwards as it looked a bit vulnerable to damage for my next trip otb.

Still find the garmin turns in the mount and now paranoid it’s going fall out eventually.

cp

I’m amazed it’s coming out of the mount. My 800 is solid as a rock once in the quarter turn mount. Are you using a pukka garmin mount?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I bought a garmin out front mount but fitted it so it’s facing inwards as it looked a bit vulnerable to damage for my next trip otb.

3 OTB’s one serious and the garmin and mount were fine, I’d go with the Stem Cap but that would ruin my colour combo’s.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d be interested in something like this, but for the smaller units (500).

I crashed my brains out at a race last month, in the middle of a stage and the Garmin disappeared off into the woodland, never to be seen again!

gogg
    Free Member

I have one of these, K-Edge stem mounts for my 800. Rock solid and bang tidy at the same time.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Likewise my 510 came with a lanyard and it has a hole to loop it through.

Though mainly I’m putting the thing in my backpack now and forgetting about it. Tried the provided out front mount and never had a hint of it coming undone. Still, I feel it’s vulnerable there, plus for night rides it gets in the way of the beam of my bar light.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Mine was on one of the K-Edge mounts before it ejected itself.

I don’t always ride with a pack, or the pocket space to fit it in, so the tether makes the most sense to me.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah wouldn’t use the out front mount on a mountain bike. I’ve got a SRAM Quickview mount – like a reverse out front mount, puts it over the stem. Very secure.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Use a bit of silicon sealant in between the unit and the mount (means you can get it off if you ever want to sell it) and then cable tie to the bars?.

I bought a wrist strap from amazon for my 500 for going running, and it came with a few handy mounts, one being a wee solid plastic unit that was ideal for this above.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’m using the 3 genuine garmin mounts that came with the unit. I have tested the garmin on all 3 the mounts and all seem to take the same required force to rotate. The first part of the rotation is stiffer as it releases from its retaining clip but after this there is virtually no friction.
    Unfortunately I cant really do the silicon method as I swap the garmin between bikes daily.

bails

I had the same problem. I think I knocked it with my knee once, so it had rotated 1/8 of a turn, and then it wobbled it’s way out and dropped off. Luckily the rider behind me spotted it and picked it up.

Now I use the silicon mount with an O ring looped through it. The O ring is then attached to some velcro that’s looped around my stem, it’s not noticeable once the garmin is fitted. I leave the silicon case permanently attached to the O ring and velcro and just put the Garmin in the case when I use the MTB (don’t bother with that security for the road bike)

It could come off the mount and come out of the silicon case at the same time but it’s pretty unlikely, given how well the silicon case holds onto it.

andysredmini
    Free Member

That sounds about as secure as what I have done by looping the lanyard through.
    The times I have knocked mine haven’t been when riding. Once was pushing the bike through the largest longest un-rideable muddy bridleway. Another was lifting the bike over a gate and the last was just moving the bike before riding.
    I know I could be more careful and have been being but I just don’t think it should rotate as easily as it does.
    Typical but since I have had the lanyard on I haven’t had it happen again.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’m using the proper garmin out front mount, had read the k edge can damage the mounting tabs, how true that is I can’t say.

I guess I must be waaayyyyy more ‘rad’ than you guys that don’t have a problem.

timba
    Free Member

Add text to the start up screen Add text
    I’ve done this for my Etrex, doesn’t solve the lanyard problem but it might get your 810 back to you

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers timba, just done that on my 810 and it works perfectly

Superficial
    Free Member

Mount it on top tube just behind stem. Nice and visible but the stem protects it from knocks etc. I’m surprised the 810 doesn’t have somewhere to attach a lanyard. My 510 does and I always loop the lanyard round something for extra security. The mount has never failed me though.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Wont your knees hit it on the top tube?

scud
    Free Member

On my road bike i use on of the “out front” K-Edge ones which holds unit fine, but on MTB i had same problem with the standard mount, I superglued a square of road inner tube doubled over inside the mount, so it was about 2-3mm deep, so as you put the Garmin in to the mount it compresses the inner tube and makes it more secure, plus easy to take Garmin in and out.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tethering A Garmin To The Bike’ is closed to new replies.