Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Test Way Stockbridge area – conditions?
  • cinnamon_girl

Is it worth bothering with? If not any suggestions for other tracks in the vicinity please?

Thank you. 🙂

drover
    Free Member

Unfortunately there where lots of tree’s down across the trail between Stockbridge and Chilbolton Common when I was last down there a week ago, don’t know it they have all been cleared away yet,also rather muddy due to the recent rain so it turn the day into an obstacle course.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Looking at the way things are flowing around the upper reaches of the Test, CG, I’d imagine it’ll be jolly moist round that way by now!

If you can try and stick to the higher ground, you’d probably be OK, but the valley areas are likely to be wetter than an otter’s pocket.

Why not just can it for the day and sit in Stokes with a slice of cake and a coffee? 😉

cinnamon_girl

Thanks chaps for the replies. 🙂 Cake sounds good but needs to be earned, no?

My thought was to ride from Horsebridge to the Mayfly for a pint then back the same way. 😀

Wanting to avoid the chalk and the sofa.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Rode some of the Test Way up to the John O’Gaunt at Horsebridge last week and the hardcore sections were OK but with some slippy slidey bits.

cinnamon_girl

Mostly Balanced – ok thanks. Where did you join the Test Way?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Started at Romsey. There are a couple of BIG trees across the path just south of Belbins.

EDIT: Just checked the map. The bit from Romsey isn’t the Test Way. I picked it up at the Bear And Ragged Staff.

drover
    Free Member

My thought was to ride from Horsebridge to the Mayfly for a pint then back the same way.

A fine plan, could be hampered by the fallen trees…

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again for your help. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

A fine plan, could be hampered by the fallen trees…

Got used to climbing over them when we last had strong winds! Or are they impassable?

drover
    Free Member

Depends on how much scrambling/lifting you are willing to do with the bike… I had to navigate 12 tree’s. If the Leckford Estate have been out and cleared them then wouldn’t be an issue…

cinnamon_girl

Terrific ride today. 😀 Joined the Test Way at Horsebridge and was pleasantly surprised that it really wasn’t too muddy between there and Stockbridge.

Lovely slow pootle along the High Street and now know where to find the cafe that the Cap’n recommended. Also, I discovered a memorial to Spike Milligan on the bridge that crosses the fast-flowing Test, Salisbury end that is.

Returned along the Houghton minor road, overtaken by a chain gang plus stragglers. Felt a tad chilly on the road where it was exposed, criss-crossed the Test again and saw flooded fields.

First time out for a month and I’m smiling again. 8)

drover
    Free Member

Glad you had a great day 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Thanks! 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Test Way Stockbridge area – conditions?’ is closed to new replies.