Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Tescos. BEWARE of using credit cards
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

Neighbours of mine discovered yesterday that there had been 3x transactions in America on their Credit card.
    When they went up to Barclays in Bushey High Street, the teller knew instantly that it was, as she told it, derived after a breach of the Tesco's mainframe server (or whatever the tech' term might be).
    They’d been dealing with such fraudulent claims all week at the bank and all from this Tesco’s breakdown in security.
    Said neighbour only uses that credit card in Tescos, so it was a bit of a no-brainer!
    It was an in-store transaction, not through Tescos Direst.

If you shop at Tescos – check you c/c and d/c statements

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Find it hard to believe the teller would divulge information like that.

druidh
    Free Member

Sorry, but this sounds like a load of tosh.

Ti29er
    Free Member

As I say, it's what my neighbours told me when they came over for dinner.
    I have no reason to doubt them, but thought the STW massiv would benefit from being given a heads-up on this (potential) issue.

Kit
    Free Member

I've got no money anyway, so good luck to the crims trying to use my card!

Ti29er
    Free Member

I've passed the information onto Money Box via their BBC on line commenst form and see if it comes to anything.

GW
    Free Member

a 4yr old informed me recently, it's "TESCO", not "TESCOS" he was right 😳

Ti29er
    Free Member

J'sus.
    Now they've nicked the S too!
    What's the world coming to?

jon1973
    Free Member

I have a way of checking for fraudulant activity on your card. Just let me know the 16 digit card number, exp date and the 3 digit number on the back of the card and I'll check it out for you for free. 😉

LMT
    Free Member

Very much doubt it would be a Tesco system, more likely a dodgy cashier, the systems are very robust, and actually maintained by a certain well know bank not by the store itself, hhhhmmmm i wonder which bank…..barclays by any chance!!

jahwomble
    Free Member

I'm struggling with the idea that people actually use credit cards rather than debit cards for a weekly shop.

jimmers
    Free Member

My name is George Agdgdgwngo…

I have a way of checking for fraudulant activity on your card. Just let me know the 16 digit card number, exp date and the 3 digit number on the back of the card and I'll check it out for you for free.

Source: phonejacker

Wiredchops
    Free Member

I'm struggling with the idea that people actually use credit cards rather than debit cards for a weekly shop.

Some credit cards (tesco's for example) give you many rewards for using the CC, then just pay off the balance at the end of the month. Know a few people that do this and enjoy many glorious benefits.

Nick

Funny how google doesn't turn up anything, if this was real you can be sure it would have at least hit the IT industry news if not the mainstream media.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Remember that if you use a d/c you are not insured.
    It's at the discretion of the issuing bank as to whether you get your money back, or not.
    With a c/c you are insured.

So if someone steals your pizzas from the car whilst returning the trolley, more-fool-you if you paid by d/c!

Also be aware that the law changd 2 years ago (?) in that you can't approach the police for a crime number and have them investigate a fraudulant transaction on your card (for example), that has to come from your bank approaching the police. This is why most of the transactions are so small as banks are reluctant to take these cases to the police – I know, it happened to me through my ex-Tesco Direct a/c.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I find it strange to believe that people only ever use that particular credit card in one particular shop.

It was the same when Wiggle has issues…people adamant that they only used that credit card at that specific shop. All very strange.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I use a credit card for everything – but have no credit card debt, everything is paid up at month end

it means I get more cashback each year from both of my credit card providers

and

if someone does get hold of my card details, and use them for fradulent transactions all I have to do is call the CC company – and they will tell me not to pay those charges whilst they investigate and (Hopefully) refund me.

If the same happens on a debit card – my current account gets emptied and it could be days or weeks before the bank get round to refunding me. I know which situation I would prefer to be in. I only really use my debit card to get cash out the ATM

Scottlacey
    Free Member

Some credit cards (tesco's for example) give you many rewards for using the CC, then just pay off the balance at the end of the month. Know a few people that do this and enjoy many glorious benefits.

Yep

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I get 1% cashback at the end of the year on all CC purchases (just bought a ticket to see Kiss and paid for the hotel out of the cashback I just got in January). And I overpay my flexible mortgage at the beginning of the month then take out what I need to in order to settle the CC in full at the end of the month so enjoy the benefit of chipping away at the capital left on the mortgage.

I am struggling with the idea that other people don't think about ways of making their money work better for them.

donald
    Free Member

Debit cars should only be used for getting money from ATMs and for purchasing from cowboy outfits who charge extra for credit card purchases (yes Ryanair I mean you). Cash back credit cards should be used for everything else and payed off in full every month.

aP
    Free Member

I'm struggling with the idea that people still buy things at "The Shop Formerly Owned by Dame Shirley Porter"

uplink
    Free Member

I find it strange to believe that people only ever use that particular credit card in one particular shop.

A couple of years ago I had a new card that I used twice in the space of a few days at a well know online bike parts outlet

It was compromised & someone went on a mini spending spree in Split

The card was never used before [or after] the 2 purchases that I made

You can find that strange to believe if you want – but it happened

jon1973
    Free Member

About £100 a year cash back is a good enough reason to buy everything using my CC.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I'm struggling with the idea that an adult would think that. Why wouldn't you use a credit card to do your weekly shop or any shopping for that matter. Points make prizes.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

cowboy outfits who charge extra for credit card purchases (yes Ryanair I mean you)

btw Ryanair now charge for all debit cards. This month you need a 'prepay mastercard' to avoid the "hidden" charges. But who knows next month?

mudshark
    Free Member

I need little excuse not to go with Ryanair – I'm well off enough not to have to put up with them.

As for CCs – use them all the time, pay off by dd and get 1% each Jan. Nice – esp if I've been staying in plenty of hotels for work.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

jahwomble has gone a bit quiet LOL

Perhaps he is applying online for a cashback credit card.

Ti29er
    Free Member

The neighbour in question is a house wife and 100% under the control of her hubby.
    They have very clear divisions, this must be another one.
    Thus one card per activity; in this case the weekly Tesco shopping trip.

I confess to only using my AmEx for petrol.

My business charges the % surcharge if you as a customer pays by c/c as we pay that same % fee to the merchant services provider. A d/c transaction costs me, the retailer about £0.30 + vat per transaction, regardless of the amount so as you'll appreciate, we don't pass that charge on top of any transactions.

Simply the terms & conditions of a small business, if you buy something from me for £3000, I end up about £85 out of pocket! Better to be out of pocket £0.30 I think you'll agree.

falkirk-mark

Creit card always gets used for Booking holidays and car repairs it gives added consumer protection plus you hang onto your cash for another month.

aracer
    Free Member

Remember that if you use a d/c you are not insured.
    It's at the discretion of the issuing bank as to whether you get your money back, or not.
    With a c/c you are insured.

So if someone steals your pizzas from the car whilst returning the trolley, more-fool-you if you paid by d/c!
    Neither are you insured with a c/c if you spent less than £100 on pizzas.

jahwomble
    Free Member

"I'm struggling with the idea that an adult would think that. Why wouldn't you use a credit card to do your weekly shop or any shopping for that matter. Points make prizes. "

Simply because I earn enough not to **** about worrying about £100 a year,it's not even £2 a week can't be arsed poncing about at the end of the month making sure my potential debt is up to date for a couple of quid?

"jahwomble has gone a bit quiet LOL"

No, I just had better things to do than read about credit card deals, and have only just logged back on. that's all.

🙂

al2000

jon1973
    Free Member

Simply because I earn enough not to **** about worrying about £100 a year,it's not even £2 a week can't be arsed poncing about at the end of the month making sure my potential debt is up to date for a couple of quid?

My CC bill is paid in full, by direct debit at the end of the month. Hardly poncing about. So it's really no hassle at all – and no risk of fines / racking up debt.

£100 a year isn't life changing I agree, but if someone offered you £100 cash you wouldn't refuse it presumably. So every January, that money comes off my bill – which at the time is a big bonus, because you tend to forget that it's coming.

Each to his own, but it works for me.

psychle
    Free Member

I had a call from Barclaycard on Wednesday to advise my work credit card (which I use to buy stuff for the store I manage) had a fraudulent transaction on it Tuesday night, interestingly I use it quite a bit at Tesco; Tuesday night I'd used it to buy some Budweiser from Tesco as well as Papa Johns pizza online (we were having a USA talk in-store and needed some 'American' food 😆 )

crikey
    Free Member

I'm struggling to believe that in 2010 there are housewives who are 100% under their husbands control……

john_drummer
    Free Member

Cash back credit cards should be used for everything else and payed off in full every month.

I beg to differ. cash is king for supermarket shopping in this house. and before you say "it's not insured if you buy it with cash" I rarely buy anything expensive enough to be worth insuring. especially food.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Crikey by name…..

Edric64
    Free Member

ahwomble – Member

Skint people who are desperate for food maybe ?

chewkw
    Free Member

Cash is king … 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Tescos. BEWARE of using credit cards’ is closed to new replies.