Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Tesco moving sweets and chocolate away from tills – at last
  • brooess
    Free Member

Linky

At last – a small step in the right direction… the other supermarkets will have to follow suit unless they want to be branded uncaring…

scaredypants

Yeah, credit where it’s due

… to Lidl, I’m told

Drac

Yup credit to Lidl they removed them and replaced them with caramelised fruits and patisseries, as that’s much better. How about people having some self control and now buying them.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

the other supermarkets will have to follow suit unless they want to be branded uncaring…

Erm, didn’t bigger Tescos remove all the sweets etc. about 20 years ago?

Drac

Erm, didn’t bigger Tescos remove all the sweets etc. about 20 years ago?

Must have put them back then as they’re still there.

Yak

Dammit – another chance for inappropriate shouting at my kids ruined….

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

branded uncaring…

Surely it’s Tesco that’s uncaring making the fat fookers walk to the back of the shop. How is it a step in the right direction, they’re further away 😛

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

the other supermarkets will have to follow suit unless they want to be branded uncaring

Why is it uncaring?

Besides, surely its more about personal responsibility, and nto being a fatty and picking up the chocolate bar.

peterfile
    Free Member

Why is it uncaring?

Besides, surely its more about personal responsibility, and nto being a fatty and picking up the chocolate bar.

I think they’re referring to the wants of their children, not their own lack of will power 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Sainsburys haven’t had them at the tills for a long time, nothing new.

Mind you it’s hardly difficult to tell your children “no” when they ask demand sweets, and it won’t make a difference to adults (speaking from experience!).

chambord
    Free Member

What’s wrong with picking up a double decker when you’re stood at the till?

Yak

My daughter asking for sweets sounds like Kate Bush mixed with a fog horn played thought the Spinal Tap amp turned up to 11. I have to overcome this with even more volume. It is better for all if the sweets are somewhere else 😉

PrinceJohn

How about people having some self control and now buying them.

+10000000000000000000000000000 (got bored of pressing 00000)

brakes
    Free Member

this will change my life immeasurably

Drac

Really? They were there this am.

somouk
    Free Member

The Tesco I use has never had sweets by the tills, they’re in a separate area along with the donuts, sandwiches and drinks etc.

Asda and Morrisons however have stacks of the things near every till. Would prefer to see some fruit added in there to balance things out.

Yak

tbh – the sort of stuff I’d like near the tills is the stuff you need, but might forget when doing a food shop – so batteries, lightbulbs, wrapping paper, cellotape, birthday cards etc.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

The queuing system in my local sainsburys is lined by low level sweet shelving. fortunately they still have cream eggs so I don’t forget.

this namby pambying over blaming food companies for making people fat, or not enabling them to control their children is bullshit anyway. if you’re fat, you’ve eaten too much and not exercised enough. if you can’t say no to your kids, then grow some balls and bring them up properly.

the blame game is all it is – not taking responsibility for yourselves.

vinnyeh

So, it’s Express and Metro stores that will be changed. Supermarkets done years back.
    Will be interesting to see how they do this – does away from the till mean away from the till or away from that big long queuing area.

konabunny
    Free Member

fortunately they still have cream eggs so I don’t forget.

Sounds like you fail to take responsibility for remembering to buy your sweeties.

Tracey

Just tell them they are there for advertising and not for sale. Worked with our two.

DezB
    Free Member

Just tell them they are there for advertising and not for sale. Worked with our two.

Yeah, sometimes I wish I had a thick kid 😉

hooli

Somehow I dont think this will solve the obesity problem in the UK.

robdob
    Free Member

if you can’t say no to your kids, then grow some balls and bring them up properly.

+1.

It’s a small child, you are a large adult and you have the money to pay for stuff. It’s not as if they have a gun to your head.

hora
    Free Member

How about people having some self control and now buying them.

Plus you’ve got bigger problems brewing for the future if you can’t tell your currently young child he/she can’t have candy on demand.

benji
    Free Member

Fitting smaller doors would, if they can’t get in, they can’t buy it, so the more unhealthy the food they are providing, the smaller the door, so KFC would be the size of a cat flap, and a green grocers would be ths size of an up and over garage door.

😆

dooosuk
    Free Member

So, it’s Express and Metro stores that will be changed….Will be interesting to see how they do this ….

My local Express/Metro stores always have big bags of sweets on offer e.g. Malteasers, Minstrels etc. for £1 bang infront of the entrance so they’re the first thing you see.

hora
    Free Member

I hate seeing young teenagers overweight. Really puts me on a downer- you look at the parents and the children are literally mini-me copies. If an adult has no self-control how can they teach a impressionable child the same?

MrOvershoot

Drac – Moderator

Yup credit to Lidl they removed them and replaced them with caramelised fruits and patisseries, as that’s much better. How about people having some self control and now buying them.

Our local Lidl & Aldi have only had dried fruit & seeds on the checkouts for the last 6 months, so I can stock up on seeds for my home baking easily 😀

hora
    Free Member

They sell some seriously nice foreign chocolate though. When mrshora bought it I used to kick off/go mental as I was the one who ate..the lot.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Glad I am not the only one who doesn’t think its unreasonable to say to a kid that they cant have a chocolate bar, just because its there on a shelf

hooli

benji – Member
    Fitting smaller doors would, if they can’t get in, they can’t buy it, so the more unhealthy the food they are providing, the smaller the door, so KFC would be the size of a cat flap, and a green grocers would be ths size of an up and over garage do

Or scales in the sweet isle. So you would like to buy a family sized bag of M&M’s. please stand on this, nope, sorry I cant sell you that because you are too fat. My colleague in the veg isle will be able to provide you with some parsnips and cabbage though 😆

kayak23

Every time I go into a bike shop, I come away with handfuls of tyre levers, Cliff bars and puncture repair kits.

The temptation at the till is too much for me. 🙂

D0NK

Dunno if it’ll solve the obesity problem (deeply cynical) may be less of a PITA to shop with kids in tow now tho, sweet aisle yeah we’ll just bypass that one so kids aren’t whining for sweets, can’t bypass the checkouts tho. Trying to unload/load shopping while kids are after the bazillion sweets surrounding the tills is not a fun experience.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Why not just make the space between the tills narrower, then would be more tills, so shorter queues. Leave some of them at full size for the chubbies. Then, either put the sweeties in the narrow lanes, because people using those lanes don’t have a life threatening obesity problem, or fill the chubby lanes with sweeties because if hey don’t care why should anyone else?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Waitrose have a section just to the right of all the tills, it’s floor to ceiling stacked with nibbles/chocolate/sweets/crisps.. Only thing is you have to walk over there to get them and consiquently loose you place in the queue, which is a bind.
    You don’t see fat people in Waitrose therefore I can’t comment on if that extra 20mtrs walk to get them is working or not.

butcher

Everything in Tesco is strategically placed to achieve a goal. Yes, you can say no, but they put a lot of time and effort into influencing your decision. There is a very real corporate responsibility here.

Drac

You don’t see fat people in Waitrose therefore I can’t comment on if that extra 20mtrs walk to get them is working or not.

Well based on that anecdote it is working.

Yak

^ first bit of sense and realism on this thread today.

(not Drac – Butcher’s..)

except it’s more marketing masquerading as corporate responsibility.

konabunny
    Free Member

If you strip out the self-righteousness from this thread, it’s just a bit of a pain in the ring to go with kids through checkouts with sweets in them. It’s not always difficult to say no but it’s just another inconvenience if u have kids of that age. All the supermarket is doing is making spending money more convenient for a certain group of punters.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Tesco moving sweets and chocolate away from tills – at last’ is closed to new replies.