Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tesco
  • tails
    Free Member

Interesting hearing the news about their US business not working and people claiming the Tesco Extra shops having no future. I really like the huge extra stores as you can buy anything from weetabix, thermos flasks, towels, sony tv’s.

I’m surprised they started a new brand in the US as opposed to buying a established brand like Walmart did with Asda, that seems like a huge mistake.

Where does the future lie on the high street if the predict we will all order food online. I would not chose to buy lunch from Tesco express over the local sandwich shop.

piemonster

I’m surprised they started a new brand in the US as opposed to buying a established brand like Walmart

😯

footflaps

Future possibly lies in a combination of online orders for bulky / large stuff and lots of last minute trips to small convenience stores – eg Tesco Expresses….

whimbrel
    Free Member

The way I read it it’s going to cost £1.2bn just to get out of the US market [They are also getting out of Japan]. Wouldn’t it be better if the retail genius that is the chairman earned his corn and identified the problems, put a strategy in place and turned the business around, or has he looked at this and said, ‘Nah, it’s too hard for me’.
    I could close a business and wouldn’t charge them much for the privilege.

It’s easy to close a loss making business – you don’t need to be a genius to do that.

samuri
    Free Member

The massive stores of all supermarkets are crap.

Lets say you nip out for a packet of condoms. That’s all you want, you want your jonnies and your missus is waiting in bed back home.

You get back and you’ve bought a lawn mower, three bottles of bleach and a TV sound system. And you’ve forgotten to get any rubbers!

I hate big supermarkets. They’re playgrounds for greedy people and oldies.

I’d like to see the return of the corner shop with the bored cougar stood behind the counter showing you her cleavage. I want angry, predatory shop keeps trying to steal money off me. I want penny selection trays, I want stolen beer cans in carrier bags. I want to fight drunk men at the counter, I want to buy two week old bread because that’s all they’ve got.

On the plus side I want a guy who knows me on the counter, I want produce that came from the old guy down the road on his allotment. I want a dead rabbit hanging in the fridge and I want obscure bottled beer in the beer rack. I want to support a guy I can talk to not some faceless, classless woman in the states. I want him to *rummage* under the counter for that thing I want, I want him to tell me he’ll have it next Thursday. GOD I LOVE that level of retail. ASDA/WALMART/TESCO killed a level of society that had existed for millenia. The shopkeep.

Tool up people, kill them all. Evil, Evil ,Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil bastards!

samuri
    Free Member

Night night.

nickjb
    Free Member

Our local big store (which funnily enough abbreviates to ‘tesco evil’ on the bank statement) is nearly always rammed. Can’t see that shutting for a while

Mikeypies
    Free Member

There was a supermarket called Brian Ford in Barnstaple which was ace but Tesco bought them boo.

The old style shops have gone for a good reason which was that we didnt want to use them as they had little choice and were expensive

scaredypants

I’ve got relatives in the US – fresh’n’easy was quite a “premium” store apparently (cf Walmart/Target etc), so a bit of a departure from their UK model

Gunz
    Free Member

I want produce that came from the old guy down the road on his allotment

Considering you say you nipped out for a packet of condoms Samurai I really think you should stick to Tescos in future.

sturmeyarcher

The US stores were pretty decent. Small to medium sized with way better fresh/healthy stuff than most US stores. Not exactly Waitrose standard but a cut above others and much nicer than all the Tescos here in Sheffield.

Where am I going to buy houmous at 10pm in San Jose now?

takisawa2

I’d rather shop at Tesco than Chavsda.

Never been into a Waitrose, but if it’s anything like the M&S food place in town they can keep it.

Good to see Tesco not getting it right for once. They have been allowed to get too big IMO.

tails
    Free Member

Considering you say you nipped out for a packet of condoms Samurai I really think you should stick to Tescos in future.

😆 😆 😆

Kevevs
    Free Member

YaaARR Samuri lol! also Lol at “chavsda” – the guys I have worked with there are Geology graduate, ex-copper, turbine/jet technician, ex Bank Manager, etc etc. Place is full of interesting bods.

vincienup
    Free Member

The (healthy) food I want and the rest of my shopping usually is cheaper at Asda (with no social bias noted) than Tesco.
    However in Sheffield, we have one huge out of town Asda that you pretty much need a car for or a new Tesco Extra that happens to be on my way home. I can easily cope with a heavy rucksack trip or two a week on the way home (although 15kg bags of dog food are a PITA on a bike…)

I reckon the difference in the higher Tesco prices is about the same ad it would be for me to do a ten mile trip in the car that hasn’t started all day as I didn’t need it.

I know there are lots of little Asdas and Tescos and they like to put signs up saying prices are the same as the big stores… But that doesn’t mean they sell the same range. And the options they have may be the more expensive ones…

There is a Waitrose in Sheffield and I can walk to it easily. The stuff is good, but while sensibly priced shopping can be done there are too many nice things that cost a lot more. They are *nice* though. Care required!
    For me, the location if the new big Tesco is the reason I go there at all. If if was out of town on a retail park i would ignore it completely.

I don’t really care about the non food items in the bigger stores, but I do prefer the wider range choice.
    If as suggested the big big stores may be on the way out this is a major step change in retail and may signal the end of easy choice. Not a bad thing in terms of food miles (carbon etc) but if you need to spend half a day shopping at lots of different places again then all of a sudden that’s less time for other stuff (like riding…)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Small( still sizable) tesco opened in my parents home town ….. It only sells the smaller boxes of stuff…. Great but who actually buys 500grams of washing powder…….

Tesco here is full of folk who think they are important and have to be on their mobile at all times barging through and screaming mums at kids- tesco really stresses me – as i hate busy places.

So i shop in aldi. Its actualy quite pleasent except for early afternoon when the oldies get up for a dodder about.

Asda here is always rammed – its the biggest supermarket in town. Going in there on a saturday is just torture.

martinhutch

I was shocked at how difficult it was to find even remotely healthy food in shops when we toured the central US a few years back. Decent sized towns, and all we could find were fast food outlets and stores with aisle upon aisle of crisps and pop.

I can see why Tesco thought they could make it work, it’s a shame that even in affluent areas, there wasn’t the necessary demand. Perhaps they should have pitched it a bit cheaper with a bit of healthy thrown in?

LHS
    Free Member

I can see why Tesco didn’t work in the US if they tried to take the UK model over there, the quality, standard and food just wouldn’t be able to compete with those offered by Whole Foods, Safeway etc. Tesco in comparison is pretty low quality goods, not quite as bad as Walmart / Asda but not far off.

Dibbs
    Free Member

There was a supermarket called Brian Ford in Barnstaple which was ace

Very good butchers department.

Pigface
    Free Member

I think they underestimated the competition in the States, supermarkets above the size of a 7/11 are everywhere.

If you want Houmous at 10 at night in San Jose I would think there would be about 10 alternatives, or just nip over to Santa Cruz 😆

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

…you can buy anything from weetabix, thermos flasks, towels, sony tv’s…

But not a decent loaf of bread 😥

maccruiskeen

Lets say you nip out for a packet of condoms. That’s all you want, you want your jonnies and your missus is waiting in bed back home.

You get back and you’ve bought a lawn mower, three bottles of bleach and a TV sound system. And you’ve forgotten to get any rubbers!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11fCIGcCa9c[/video]

crankbreaker

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hckbBlxlJDY[/video]

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tesco’ is closed to new replies.