• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tesa wheel tape?
  • granny_ring

Is this stuff any good?
    I couldn’t get it to stick on my carbon rim and ended up using gorilla tape which did.

Jeeble

I had the same problem with this stuff on carbon rims and reverted to gorilla tape. Appears to be identical to stans tape but less sticky.

kayak23

Did you degrease your rim?
    Stuck fine on my ally rims.

Jeeble

I did, and yes, seems to be work fine on aluminium rims.

submarined
    Free Member

I had exactly the same issue with my ARCs. Monkey tape every time.

markshires
    Free Member

I had it the opposite way round couldn’t get the gorilla tape to stick(i think it was on my hope rims) so bought the Tessa tape And it’s been fine for the last few years and use it on all my wheels now.

granny_ring

Ok ta, yes spent ages getting the remnants of the old gorilla tape off the rim then cleaned with IA.
    Got to do a set of ali rims at some point so maybe I’ll try the Tesa on those, is it more plasticy than Stans?

dmck16
    Free Member

is it more plasticy than Stans?

I taped my wheels indoors, and had the Tesa roll sitting on the radiator. No issues on carbon rims.

dovebiker

Just done some rims today with Tesa tape – warmed the rims and tape with hairdryer, stretches easier too.

london_lad_liam
    Free Member

Anyone got any links to the

Tesa tape

Or

Gorilla tape

Please?

Need to do a wheel but stand is £££

plus-one

Key with tesa tape is to use green scourer on rim first ..

Meths or similar leaves residue and tesa wouldn’t stick

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’ve got 99% of a roll that ill sell for £8 inc shipping if anyone wants one

granny_ring

Good call about heating the tape up and the green scourer pad to give a key.
    Cheers.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I only ever degreased the rim with a basic all purpose cleaner and TESA 4289 application was perfect.

A far better/neater/cheaper solution than Gorilla which is an absolute PITA if you need to remove it IME.

jimmy

Has anyone removed gorilla tape, left the residue adhesive on to use with Stans tape? Does that work? I’ve had no end of bother with stans tape so am about to go gorilla.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tesa tape, keep it indoors, not a cold garage, bring clean wheel in the night before to get to room temp, jobs a good un.

Gorilla tape works well too, but I find its just as susceptible to bursting with a tyre lever as tesa or stans is when removing a tight tyre, but as said above, the residue is a pain in the arse.

dovebiker

I use Gorilla Clear Repair Tape on my carbon fatbike rims – doesn’t come unstuck and pulls-off cleanly. I use Tesa on regular alloy rims. Regular Gorilla / Duck or gaffer tape is a bad idea – it absorbs sealant / comes unstuck and leaves a sticky residue – tried it once, never again.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the Tesa tape (or stans) is pressure sensitive glue, not contact adhesive. So it doesn’t look like it’s stuck down until you put a tyre/tube on there and really press it down, then it becomes a PITA to get off again!

Also needs to be warm to get it to stick at all, bring the tape and wheels into the house and leave them by a radiator.

Daffy

Never had a problem and once it’s pulled tight, it really doesn’t matter as it’ll stick to itself just fine.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ + 1

Really heave on it to “stretch” it. Then follow it with a stiff finger in a cloth. I hate gorilla tape as it’s a git to remove after it’s been on a while.

jimmy

So it doesn’t look like it’s stuck down until you put a tyre/tube on there and really press it down,

I struggled getting a wheel to go tubeless so taped up and put a tube in. Ending up running it for a year like that but still it leaked. Gargh.

Daffy

^ use tape that’s wider than the rim bed by 2-5mm and it won’t leak. If you use thinner tape, there’s a chance that when seating the tyres, that the tape can displace and you then get leaking around the spoke holes.

Wider tape than the rim bed + pull tight + 2 wraps (road tubeless) has never failed. Even my road wheels lose less pressure per week tubeless than they did with tyres and tubes.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tesa wheel tape?’ is closed to new replies.