Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tern folders
  • geoffj

I’m about on the weight limit for a Brompton once fully loaded, so I’m considering a Tern.
    Which models are the best for a fairly flat <5 mile city trundle?
    Any other brands that clydesdale’s should consider?

Edit: should have said I’ll need a 20″ wheel model for carting on the train.

T1000
    Free Member

Do you mean you need a 20″ or smaller?

Bromptons are v robust and repairable. Long term spares availability is excellent, which can’t be said for lots of brands.

I couldn’t get spare parts for the forks on a 3 year old Dahon

How about a mezzo or a birdy

geoffj

Do you mean you need a 20″ or smaller?

Sorry, yes

Gotama
    Free Member

Maybe worth a google on tern if strength is a concern. I’m 90kg and snapped my tern at the main pivot bolt, seems to be a relatively common problem from what I read at the time. Since then I’ve had a Brompton and its rock solid in comparison to the tern. Fold is a lot better too albeit I did prefer the 20 inch wheels on the tern for grotty London roads.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

check the train regs as some lines mention 18 as the max !

Check a Mezzo or a Birdy – neither have a central hinge which is a big advantage for strength and creaks.

geoffj

Thanks all – any more for any more?

sboardman

I’ve got a Tern Link Uno for my short flat commute. I’ve never heavily loaded it (me at 65kg aside) but its done the job and makes getting the train a lot less stressful than with the MTB. 20″ wheels are ace, totally bomb proof and its been very maintenance free. 1 set of brake pads and new chain is all I’ve ever done to it in 15 months.

Gotama
    Free Member

I’d also add that I had the base single speed with coaster brake. I’ve ridden singlespeed and fixed round London for years before moving out to give some context. I found the coaster a complete pain in the backside when stopping at lights and if you need to scoot though a narrow space next to a stationary car as well as other occasions. Sure it’s clean and zero faff but I would never get one again for London riding.

sboardman

Oh yeah, I don’t use the coaster brake at all. Its super good fun with clipless pedals too…

Front v brake is plenty powerful enough for flat riding on its own though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tern folders’ is closed to new replies.