Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tents – how much are they worth second hand
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I bought a Hilleberg Nallo 2 that for reasons I won't bore you with is unlikely to be used again. Has done a total of 3 nights and is in perfect nick, 2+ years old.

Have looked on ebay and Googled but can't find anything second hand to compare.

They are currently selling for about £450 but I bought mine IIRC for about £280. Any ideas how much I should try for?

Junkyard
    Free Member

50% of what you paid is fair but given new price now you may get much more for it. Usually 33% – 10% per year = Price
    Based on what you paid not what it is now!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

geoffj – thanks. Don't know how I missed that. Put Hilleberg into ebay search and nothing came up

Junkyard – why would age matter that much? Surely used 3 times is used 3 times. The actual tent itself hasn't changed in the time I've had it

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you asking me why things deteriorate with age? I can send a mirror[or pictures of me over time] if that helps 😆

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Fair point well made, but some things get better with time
    Wine
    Bike skillz
    Ahem, ability between the sheets

tiger_roach
    Free Member

So you don't want to Ebay it? No-one cares what it cost you just what it costs now and condition.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

tiger_roach. Reasonably happy to ebay it, although not put anything on there yet. Condition and cost now is exactly what I would have thought would be the key factors, as long as age does not cause deterioration or obscelesence

spacehopper

Cheeky offer time… 🙂

ill give you £150 for it… 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Time does have some influence on price for tents. Unfortunately, fabric 'ages' both with use (UV etc) and regardless of use. I've seen lots of tents where the PU flysheets go 'sticky' over time as the proofing breaks down with age, often when they've been stored.

I'm sure you're being truthful over the amount of use, though a lot of people claim 'unused' or 'minimal use' and when the item arrives, it's clearly been ragged. This is why s/h prices are often reduced due to age as you can't neccesarily believe what you are being told by the seller.

However with Hilleberg, you've got the RR of tents and if they really cost £450 (rather than being RRP £450 and being available for a lot less) then there should be no reason why you shouldn't get £250 for it assuming 3 nights use and unmarked/unblemished/undamaged.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

boblo – good points. It is genuinely used only 3 times and in perfect nick. Looks like the RRP is £525 but the online places selling it for £420 to £450, so I'll give it a go at £250

spacehopper – thanks but way too cheeky at that price!

Spongebob
    Free Member

Set a reserve of £250 and list at 99p or you will pay a lot more to eBay.

Also encourage the buyer to pay you cash to swerve the 3-4% Paypal fees.

Check the eBay terms as fees can be quite high.

Combined fees can be as high as 14%, but this reduces for more expensive items.

You would be better off if you can sell it on STW frankly!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks spongebob, and yes I will probably try it on here first

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tents – how much are they worth second hand’ is closed to new replies.