Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Tents for bike touring
  • robdob
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommendations?

I am thinking of riding to London this Summer (260 miles, about 50-60 miles a day). I am considering buying a tent/sleeping bag to stay in as the B+B’s will be quite expensive once they stack up over 4-5 days, may as well buy the kit instead.

I’d like something that isn’t tiny, nothing ultralight/thin etc – I’m not a minimalist. Basically something of decent quality, has a bit of room to store stuff in (just me in a 2 man?), is reasonably light and durable and stands up well to the weather.

Thanks!

robdob
    Free Member

I quite like the look of this one – are Vango any good nowadays? http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-tempest-200-2-berth-tent-p139965

Like the idea of the porch at the front.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have a tempest. Its quite a nice tent and it handles a weather bomb admirably. But if you are tall you’ll not be sitting upright which would be tiresome.

Moses

Look at the Cotswold site, they have some on sale:

Zephyros 2 man

joshvegas
    Free Member

Also that link shows two different tents in the photos.

I have the first one which i think isn’t a tempest.

robdob
    Free Member

I’m 5’7″ so that should make things easier….
    I’d like some space in it though.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Wild Country make some tents just for Sport Direct, I have one but can’t remember which model, might be worth a look on their site.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its a vango mirage i have which is the tent they are showing in the first pic.

Someone will come along and say cheap tents are rubbish and not seam taped. It is and its withstood wind and rain that I genuinely thought would see it fail.

5.7 you’ll be grand plenty of space in the inner and the porch. The porch entirely folds into the wee triangular peak away too if the the weather is nice.

duntstick
    Free Member

Pick one of these up very cheaply. Will be ideal. At around 6ft, I used it to make my weary way from South of France to UK. I found it a tad short but for you there will be loadsa space.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FKUbqFv8pc[/video]

dknwhy

Decathlon do a good range of lightweight tents or some of the Vango ones aimed at backpackers.
    I think Alpkit are launching a new range at the end of the week so you may want to look at that.

I use a Lunar Solo tarptent from the states. It’s a cracking tent but a bit pricey and you need to get it shipped over. Plenty of room for one person though.
    I wouldn’t discount the lightweight side of things. If you save a kilo on a light tent – that’s the equivalent of a summer bag and an air mat.
    For my setup, I have the Lunar Solo, a NeoAir X Lite mat and a cheap Lifeventure summer sown bag (replacing it this year with am ultralight quilt). Tent and mat in the seatpost bag, sleeping bag and clothes in the handlebar dry bag. Tools, tubes in the frame bag and a bum bag/waist pack carrying electricals, cycle jacket, wallet etc:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/o6Ad7W]IMAG0312[/url] by DKNWHY, on Flickr

My tent is on the left:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/o6pGye]IMG_1192[/url] by DKNWHY, on Flickr

robdob
    Free Member

Any more?

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Not cheap but get a hilleberg. Me and my brother used one on our France/Spain bike tour and it’s exceptional. Light and small in pack size yet a good size when up with a porch for storage. We have had ours for probably a good 7 years now and it is just like new aside from a few replaced guy ropes. The quality is much better that cheaper stuff we had before but it has outlasted everything before to the point where it has paid for itself.

scotroutes

Tarptent Scarp 1. http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ccswjd]P1040204[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Double doors/porch so always somewhere sheltered for cooking and another porch for wet gear storage. And when it’s warm, open both for good ventilation.
    It’s about 1 1/2 man-width so loads of space inside too
    Proper double-skin tent for best ventilation and waterproofing.

plumber
    Free Member
    andyfb78
    Free Member

We have a hilleberg staika. Self standing means easy to erect on any site. Very easy to put up, very good quality. Expensive, but very pleased with it.

tomd
    Free Member

I had a Vando Helium and that was ace but died in the summer. I haven’t replaced it yet but I’ve basically narrowed it down to a Terra Nova Polar Micro 2.

I wanted something slightly bigger than the helium but that was <2kg and had short pole sections (i.e. would fit inside a frame traingle). This was the best I could find with going Hillberg sort of money.

Marko

Fill yer boots here:

More Tents than you can shake a stick at!

And that’s just the one person models . . .

Hth
    Marko

robdob
    Free Member

Marko – they are all a bit expensive on there. 🙁

Pickers

I’ve been using a Terra Nova Laser for a few years, good balance between packed size and inside space. I believe they do it now as a Wild Country model now, bit cheaper and heavier.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/o42ENq]
    P1030125[/url] by pickers48, on Flickr

oliverracing

I quite like the look of this one – are Vango any good nowadays? http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-tempest-200-2-berth-tent-p139965

Like the idea of the porch at the front.

Yep – great tent for the price and it’s what I used on my trip to slovenia!

houndlegs
    Free Member

How about a Wild Country Zephros 2 xl lite? I got one last year and its been great. Big for one person,light enough, and a half decent packed size.

Heres a couple of pics,with a mat to give rough idea of size.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oL7CLj]SAM_0566[/url] by philipdixon36, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ovENHm]SAM_0567[/url] by philipdixon36, on Flickr

EDIT. A quick google search doesnt show much available any more,only saw one place and that was £230 🙁 ,perhaps they stopped doing them for some reason.

Marko

they are all a bit expensive on there.

More to give you an idea of what’s available really. Weight is going to be the issue with any tent on a bike and as ever less is more (money).

Marko

drovercycles
    Free Member

Highly recommend Hilleberg – we (2 people) used a 3-person one for two years’ cycling in Africa and it’s still going strong. Lightweight for the size/durability/function/waterproofness too. They’re not cheap though, but well worth it if you can afford the price.

Terra Nova are a little cheaper and also make very good tents.

Plenty of cheap rubbish around too which will be fine for most purposes but will be relatively heavy and not last as long. Bit like bikes really.

matt_outandabout

Cheap, but good! Vango banshee. Waaaay better than the £62 in sales cost suggests.
    If you can find one, they also used to make an Apex model, that was cheap, small and you could sit upright in, but maybe not full on mountain tent.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Gelert Solo Lite if you can find one. About £40, decent little tent unless you plan on being up high in serious weather.

dazzlingboy

Terra Nova Superlite Voyager here – palatial for 1 – tight squeeze for 2. Weighs nowt but well tough – I’ve had it out in some proper mountain weather – none of yer campsites – and it stands up well.

Heavy or cold weather – Hilleberg Soulo. Heavier than the Voyager but absolutely bomber any time any weather any place..

dirtydog
    Free Member

Have a look at Coleman tents.

CraigW
    Free Member

North Face Tadpole. Its a 2 person tent, but I use it on my own for touring, plenty of space for me and all of my stuff. And its high enough to sit up inside. Has coped fine with plenty of wind and rain. Plus it can be set up freestanding (without any pegs) if necessary.

robdob
    Free Member

That North Face one is £200. I ain’t got that sort of cash. Less than £100 really.

I don’t have a sleeping bag and mat either so it’s gonna be a big outlay even at the cheap end. I do like the look of those sleeping blankets, I can’t stand those mummy bags and I’m not a fan of the square ones either, too restrictive.

I’m not going mega lightweight or off-road, using a proper touring bike.

robdob
    Free Member

That Terra Nova tent is £400!!!!! 😯

tomd
    Free Member

You can get it for 300 online. Sadly lightweight 3/4 season tents cost a bit. There are cheaper options but the weight goes up.

butcher

I have a Tempest too. Decent tent for the price, and squeezes nicely on to a pannier rack. Was thinking of replacing it with something smaller though, as I originally thought along the same lines as yourself, but in practice, for what I’ve used it for, it seems overkill. It is a good size though. Comfortable.

robdob
    Free Member

More to give you an idea of what’s available really. Weight is going to be the issue with any tent on a bike and as ever less is more (money).
    Marko

I know you can spend any money you want to on a tent. My original post asked if a £80 tent is any good. Recommending a £400 is kinda missing the point.

robdob
    Free Member

Butcher – thanks.

duntstick
    Free Member

I stand by my earlier comment 🙂 No need to get all super high tech. £65 tent take regular dumps to keep the weight in check.

You can spend too much time comparing specs, JFDI is my motto

climbingkev
    Free Member

TNF Solo 12. Weighs 1kg, single skin, surprisingly good in strong winds especially given I never use the guys. Obviously no room for cooking, it’s well vented, but you’ll need them open all the time or else it gets a little clammy. £85 from cotswold on offer iirc.

Basil

Terra Nova Laser Competetion.
    The one with two doors.
    More than five years use and no tears or damage. Recommended
    P.S I got a second from Terra Nova for £195.

DrP

Spend your money on caffeine and ‘phets, and smash the 260miles out in one go….?!

Sorted…

DrP

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gelert Solo and for £30 its amazing.
    Its in one of the pictures near the start. Around 1.3kg I think. Pegs can be changed to drop the weight further if needed. It’s not bulky and easily fits between the hoods on a road bike.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Have a look for a Coleman Bedrock 2, a few years old now,but if you can get one they’re great.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Tents for bike touring’ is closed to new replies.