Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tentative first steps back…which bike advice needed
  • misterd
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve been away from riding for over 7 years due to some serious knee issues. Now, following my third operation, I’ve been told that I can start riding again! There are a lot of caveats – I’m not allowed off road. I can’t do anything ‘too hilly’ and I’m not allowed to jump…basically it’s flat toe-path kind of riding for at least the next 18 months minimum.

Now I was thinking of getting a quick ‘Halfords special’ or similar because I don’t want to throw money at something I’ll change in a couple of years so then thought about a used Inbred.

So, I guess my question is – with a limited budged (don’t really want to spend more than £300) what kind of thing would you look for?

TIA

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’d be looking at some kind of S/H Hardtail, a hybrid seems the obvious choice but it’s not going to be much use in 18 months if you want to get off-road proper.

Could you get a decent spec 26″ for your budget? Given how much they’ve devalued you’d not lose much on it if you upgrade later.

scud
    Free Member

I think you’d be best off building a cheap 29er, any Halfords special for that money will probably be heavy and enough to put you off. A cheap INbred frame or similar, rigid fork and a set of fast rolling tyres on the wheels and you have a lightish, easy to handle tow-path special

cookeaa

‘Halfords special’… don’t really want to spend more than £300…

Carerra subway?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just get an old used 26er rigid in good mechanical order. Fit some sale-price hybrid tyres if it doesn’t have them already. Cheaper to buy one with of course. Enjoy time on towpaths. When you feel better sell it for what you bought it for. which would be £35-£70.

Or keep it, because now you are bonded and cannot bear to see it go, even when your spanking new 650b+ or 29er arrives!

*edit – If buying an older MTB for towpath use etc then go a size up.

A green one:

A blue one, etc

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tentative first steps back…which bike advice needed’ is closed to new replies.