Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tent Suggestions.
  • jam-bo

For an upcoming trip to iceland. Requirements are:

Sleep two.
    Very sturdy in high winds. Icelandic Highlands are notorious for gales.
    Ideally two entrances/porch/vestibules. One for entry and wet kit, other for dry kit and cooking etc.
    Less than 2.5kg.

What have you got? What would you recommend? What wouldn’t you recommend…

dknwhy

We took a Tarptent Stratospire 2 to Iceland. Didn’t have any high winds to contend with but meets all of your other requirements.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

vango typhoon 300. meets all your requriements and has never let me down in the worst of weather. not sure if they still make them though

jonathan
    Free Member

Very sturdy in high winds and less than 2.5kg is tricky – most geodesic 2-man “mountain” tents weigh a kg more than that. I’ve sat out alpine storms in hoop pole Macpac tents though – the Minaret may fit the bill for you (not a current model but still available it seems). They’re very quick to pitch too as inner and outer pitch as one.

BadlyWiredDog

Depends on budget. I’ve had several Minarets over the years, great little tunnel tent and sturdy, but only one entrance and needs to be pitched end on to the wind, fine unless the wind changes direction. Hilleberg Nallo similar and also a great tent, but pricy.

No personal experience, but if your budget stretches to it, something like a Wild Country Superlite Quasar 2 meets your spec, but costs an arm and a leg and is probably overkill tbh.

Crux used to make something similar, but no longer lists it as far as I can see.

jonathan
    Free Member

A quasar of some flavour was going to be another suggestion, wasn’t sure you’d get light enough though

BadlyWiredDog

There’s also the Force Ten Vortex Lite 200, which is claimed to weigh 2.68kg – I’d check that though, manufacturers sometimes quote unrealistic ‘minimum weights’ without a stuff-sac, guys etc and with the bare minimum of poles. Again not cheap, but that’s par for the course with lightweight geodesics.

kayak23

Doesn’t meet your weight but I’ve just hit buy on a Vango Pulsar.
    Ticks your other boxes.

stevious

Depending on your price range I suspect you might end up compromising on either weight or number of entrances. For sturdiness in wind I’d be looking at a semi-geodesic design either with 2 entrances like a quasar (heavy) or with one entrance like a voyager (lighter).

I’ve cycle-toured with my heavy Hilleberg Nallo (like a quasar) in Norway and for me the extra weight was worth it for the extra space and entrances. it was a 3-week long trip and having 2 porches avoided lots of mess-related arguments with my wife 🙂

conkers
    Free Member

I’ve had a coleman cobra 2rs for the past 15 years and has done extremely well. A good quality medium to low budget tent. Maybe a little cramped for two people but honestly with that weight requirement you will struggle without paying mega bucks.

http://www.coleman.eu/UK/p-26293-aravis-2.aspx

The aravis looks like the modern equivalent.

wl
    Free Member

Terra Nova Voyager (not the Superlite version) is a bit of a classic and weighs somewhere around 2kg, sleeps two, and is generally well respected. Quick to put up, too. One porch only, but it’s big enough to cook in if the weather’s sh*t. Cotswold had them at £300 down from £400 very recently. I have the Superlite version and it’s good, though not massively sturdy (hence ‘superlite’).

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Mountain Hardwear Trango.

jonathan
    Free Member

I think we can all list solid tents that weigh nearly 4 1/2 kilos, but that’s not what the OP was looking for really.

NZCol

I have 2 Macpac minarets for various reasons – both excellent.

beano68
    Free Member

Scarp 2 … Bombproof and relatively cheap compared to the hilleberg.

can only be bought from the USA but they do come up for sale in the UK from time to time.

I have the Scarp 1 and its handled some pretty atrocious weather conditions

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Hmm – never realised the Trango was so heavy. No wonder I’m fit. 😀

matt_outandabout

Ex Macpac Minaret owner here (original model). Brilliant thing, that survived 8 years of me at Uni an doing ML (used about two nights a week on average), went up every lakes, welsh and scottish hill I could think of, beaches, forest, snow, sun and howling wind. It famously was the last tent standing on an ML assesment that flattened three Quasars – with a cracked pole, replaced under warranty by an incredulous Macpac….
    Sadly, it succumbed to UV degredation on a wild night during a Spey Descent, with a torn fly. 🙁

Get one.

AlexSimon

BTW – if you want a Hilleberg, I’ve always been offered the best prices at Alpenstock (in Stockport, but mail order too).

jam-bo

thanks for all the recommendations. Off to scratch heads and see what pennies we have.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tent Suggestions.’ is closed to new replies.