Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tennis elbow and mountain biking
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

After experiencing pain in my elbows (one initially, now both) finally went to the docs and he says I’ve got tennis elbow in both elbows. Now day to day, not an issue. On the bike on the decent or runs at wharncliffe etc – hurts like a bugger after the first 2-3 blasts, can kind of deal with it by stopping – lots. but then every now and then almost causes a near death as I have to realease the grips – not ideal . Docs advice is stop the activity that caused the problem for 3-6 months. As it’s clearly caused from biking, that’s not really an option. so any tips for helping it getter better / stop it getting worse whilst still being able to ride?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Watches with interest (laying 3500 slates has kicked mine off!)

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I’m thinking along the lines of thicker / thinner grips, omega 3 / glucosamine, new shiny float 36’s *possibley a thinly veiled excuse for new kit* – will any of these things help?

andyl
    Free Member

Bigger grips, some thin but grippy gloves and relax your grip as much as possible (thin grippy gloves to maintain feel and grip). Also get one of those straps that presses on the muscle just below your elbow.

You could even try wrapping some bar tape around your grips for now to see if it helps. I use ODI Rogues, not found a bigger, grippier grip yet.

I also change hand position a lot including holding onto my brake lever reservoir on climbs to give my hand a break. I used to use bar ends on the inside of my grips, looks odd but works well and just got some new ones to fit to all my bikes for use on climbs.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

@andyl what are these straps for the elbow you mention? Currently use thin gloves (fox ranger) and big grips comfy grips (ESI super chunky) but prefer the feel of thinner ones – is bigger better when it comes to tennis elbow? I am known exponent of the the death grip of holding on too tight so will work on that

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Have a look for a previous thread on here for tennis elbow, but to be brief, I went for a trial at the docs to have my own blood but mainly white blood cells injected into the area and the area stabbed a lot to promote the body to send blood to the area… Sound like crap but apparently it’s what they do with footballers???
    Sent me away with weird stretches that I half arsed did but within 2 weeks it was gone and never come back

dumbbot
    Free Member

Hi, the issue of tennis/golfers elbow is basically an over use and muscle imbalance issue. You are overuseing the flexors/extensors in the forearms and you need to address this by strengthening the opposing muscle group.
    As a climber ive had a number of wrist and elbow problems and along with some good sport theraphy advice ive used a couple of little toys that have successfully treated golfers elbow and wrist problems, a theraband flexbar and a Powerball.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

just got over <nearly. Mine was caused by computer mouse. Taken 6 months and still not a 100% but nearly there. Not sure anything but stopping works from my experience a few weeks no computer mouse!

martinhutch

Dodgy Elbows

In your case I’d suspect it is overgripping that is triggering it.

goog
    Free Member

I had it for 3/4 +yeary left elbow, riding and work related. Prescription drugs helped but just mask the pain to a point, Physiotherapy and acupuncture didn’t help at. Cortisone shot into the elbow was the last resort which I went for because of an Alps trip (1st trip) …. brilliant stuff! …. however, when it stops working it sets you back to how you were before + you need double the dose for the shot and it’s damaging to tendons and muscles in the area of the injections 🙁

all is not lost tho…

I’ve fully recovered now just by doing some exercises. It takes time but nout to difficult to fit in when watching the telly n stuff

Linky to the site and the exercises I did. clicky

goog
    Free Member
    centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

You’ve got eliminate the cause for a long term solution. I’ve never experienced tennis elbow from mtb’ing but when I played squash a lot a change in racket handle size or shape caused it a few times, the tennis elbow went pretty quickly if I remedied the grip change.
    It could be similar on a bike ? Or maybe also too much “death gripping” or maybe riding position putting too much weight on your arms ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Had it last year, took me ages to work out what the problem was.

Think I just backed off the MTB and did more road riding for a bit. Gone now anyway, thankfully.

nikk
    Free Member

Yeh it sucks. I triggered it once kayaking and once swimming. You basically need to back off the amount and severity of that activity for about 6 months. Going ‘over the line’ just once will bring it back. I found rotation exercise helped.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’ve torn my rotor cuff thingy Bob in my shoulder.

I tape my shoulder up before every ride.

Annoying and takes a few minutes but still got to my half century yesterday evening.

Sort out the cause and go from there.

Change ride position. Stretch after every ride. Get a girlfriend.

sleigh62
    Free Member

I got it … from taking the dog out twice a day and throwing his ball via one of those launcher things. He’s now 4 and it’s never really gone … but it is the same movement over and over again (RSI). I found that thick girth grips, got mine from superstar helped when biking plus a strap from the chemist designed specifically for the job … about £15.

There are times when it’s worse that others … that white bold cell injection treatment sounds very interesting … NHS or private … sounds expensive?

I think for me the biking wasn’t really the cause … it’s the dog, bless him

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tennis elbow and mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.