Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • "Tennis" Elbow
  • cheviots
    Free Member

I don’t play Tennis but apparently I am suffering with tennis elbow, 25+ years as an electrician using hand tools & power tools probably to blame.
    Doc has suggested anti-inflammatory tablets/cream and physio prior to steroid injection.
    So anybody got any tips for pain relief or cure! Heard that steroid injections can be a bit sore for a few days after.
    Dose of MTFU?

scotroutes

I faffed around with various remedies for a year or so, including a support. I eventually opted for the (incredibly painful) steroid injection and a couple of days later it was fixed. That was about 10 years ago. If it were to happen again, I’d opt to go straight for the injection. 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Percussive massage and then a wrist exerciser or one of those gyroballs is effective, especially if you can find any sore points in the muscles of the forearm.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Velcro strap is meant to keep the muscle close to the bone and reduce the tendency to break away and cause more pain. I find this helps when riding but I’ve been suffering since November so my advice has limited credibility!

burko73

Ive got sore elbows as well. Think it’s golfers elbow which is slightly different. Prob from using chainsaw and axe to chop up 100t of logs every winter. I think using an impact driver seems to flare it up as well.

This is a blokey self diagnosis though. It’s better now we’re using a logsplitter but it hasn’t gone away totally and stiff elbows are a nuisance rather than outright pain.

Tennis and golfers are slightly different IIRC. I remember seeing elbow sock things to help golfers elbow. Anyone used them successfully? (Hijack apologies….)

chickenman

Options are either the steroids or complete rest (even driving cars and opening doors will aggravate it). As you use your arm for your work it won’t get better without the jab; bully your GP into doing it!
    Velcro strap is a great help too though.

vonplatz
    Free Member

I’ve got painful elbows after practicing bunny hops for the last three evenings. I’ll have to give it a rest i think!

sic_nick

Accupuncture?

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve had lots of bother with my elbows over the years. After lots of research, it would seem that most medical professionals think that physio is the only answer. Any other kind of treatment just helps the symptoms rather than cure it.

You will hear a different treatment from anyone who has had it and got rid of it…apparently that’s just because it was the last thing they had done before it finally cleared up.

martinhutch

Roughly speaking, tennis is the outside of the elbow, golfers is the inside. As a climber, this is an occupational hazard – currently got a flare up on the right elbow, had a nasty dose on the left a couple of years ago.

This is kinda useful in terms of the difference between tendonitis/osis, plus stretches and strengthening exercises, although not gospel.

http://www.drjuliansaunders.com/resources/feature_articles/dodgy_elbows/

In my case, physio was the answer. Deep massage, taping followed by exercise and stretching. If it’s a new injury, Perhaps icing it a couple of times a day, anti-inflammatory cream.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I got Mouse Elbow (really), tried lots of different remedies, anti-inflammatories, straps, Powerballs, Penguin, Trackerball.
    The only thing that worked for me was to share the load of my right arm by consciously using my left hand/arm more, which included retraining my brain to use a mouse lefthanded.
    The only time that I get bothered now is if I do a lot of hammering, which I can’t do left handed.

timb34
    Free Member

For me, a few weeks of the antagonistic exercises in the article that Martin linked to worked well to get rid of a nasty bout of Golfers elbow (without completly stopping climbing).

Subsequently, occasional sets of exercises help keep it away when I remember to do them. But I’ve found that it comes back if I neglect to do sets of complementary exercises for the upper body – I suspect that if I just go climbing all the time (pulling down) and never balance the shoulders by doing sets of press-ups I start to get muscle imbalance or tightness in the shoulders that pulls on the elbows and makes the tendons likely to be irritated. But I could be wrong.

straightandnarrow
    Free Member

I would recommend against getting cortisone shots for tennis elbow. They are only a short term solution and will do nothing to help you completely recover from your injury. Not to mention that can be dangerous and actually make your torn extensor tendon weaker. I could go on and on but it is summed up better in this article….

Cortisone Shots Can Be Dangerous For Tennis Elbow Treatment

Good luck!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I had a bout of this which I’m pretty sure was riding related…

The thing which really worked for me was buying a Theraband and doing the exercises in this video a few times a day over a couple of months:

I also laid off the bike for a bit and bought some bars with a bit more back sweep – On One Marys. Still get a few twinges if I overdo it (which I see as warning signs now) but nothing near as bad as it was… and no more dropping plates!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘"Tennis" Elbow’ is closed to new replies.