Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tenerife+skiing family holiday or campervan/motorhome?
  • sparkyspice
    Free Member

So, the Missus and I are saving for some holidays and we have thrown ourselves a curve-ball. Go on a hot holiday AND a skiing holiday this winter or buy a Sprinter sized/type motorhome?
    We have two girls (6 & 4) who both ski (and swim for the winter sun), but if we bought a motor home for under £8k-ish we would have holidays wrapped up for a number of years.
    Any do’s or don’ts experience?
    Any advice on motor homes would also be appreciated! We were thinking of going for a Sprinter sized vehicle as its as small as we could go to sleep 2 adults + 2 kids without losing an integral bog and shower.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How often are you realistically going to use the motorhome? They can be hired and its nice to have one with the steering wheel on the right side for the country you are in. Expensive to take your own over the channel as well is it not?

8 k is will not be the greatest of motorhomes – hiring them you get really nice ones and you don’t have a depreciating lump siting outside your house 50 weeks a year

So – depends how often you will realistically use it IMO if its worth buying or hiring

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I think I’d use it a lot for kayaking/biking weekends away, as well as sneaky half term trips with the family…

nealglover
    Free Member

I would say buy a motorhome personally.

We do maybe 20-25 weekends away each year. Biking/Walking/Chilling all over the place.

Plus a two week+ trip in the Alps in Summer.

Don’t know what we would do without it.

jam-bo

They can be hired

Eyewateringly expensive last time I looked, ~1k a week in the lakes.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Neal, what have you got and what would you change?

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I got quoted £750 for a week,so after a coupe of years including diesel/tax/servicing I think we’d get our money back…

nealglover
    Free Member

Neal, what have you got and what would you change?

We have a 150PS T4 Multivan from Germany (just two of us) and we use a Khyam Awning attached.

For what we need, I wouldn’t change anything about it really.

But for a family I would certainly go for a coachbuilt motorhome rather than a Van. Or at the very least a Large van with full camper conversion.

Not cheap, but if you use it, it’s really worth it.

If you want to do it more than once a year, hiring is a complete non starter in my opinion, with the costs of hiring in school holidays, you might as well go on an a 5* all inclusive to Mexico as the overall cost will be similar.

ianv
    Free Member

Motor-home definitely. I bought a cheap one (bongo so not exactly a proper one) last year and it has been great. You get loads of independence, you don’t need to pay for camp sites and accommodation, you can break off journeys and crash out if you are tired etc etc. France in particular is very motor-home friendly. My son loves it and we spent 6 weeks travelling round the Alps last summer sleeping pretty much every night in it.

Insurance is not that bad and ferries are pretty reasonable. I pay £39 each way for the bongo and some people I met recently only paid £45 for a full on 6+ m one. An £8000 one wont depreciate that fast and you will save loads of money on you future holidays.

Deffo go for a conversion though as s*itting in the woods and washing once a week wont be too popular with the ladies 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tenerife+skiing family holiday or campervan/motorhome?’ is closed to new replies.