Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tenerife biking
  • daleftw
    Free Member

Got the opportunity to spend 3/4 weeks over there in the summer house-sitting.

What’s it like for biking? Both road and trail riding.

I assume good?

Sandwich

Which end of the island? north is green and forested, the south is a bit dry and dusty. Have a look a Lavatrax for ideas in the South. There’s the obligatory road ride up Teide too, sea level to about 13,000 feet should be a short afternoon out!!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I went a few years back and took my trusty 456 but mainly toured the roads. It was great. I got my mate who worked out there to drop me up the top of the volcano and I pretty much rolled all the way down. Lots of Germans out there altitude training IIRC.

robhughes
    Free Member

If you can get to Puerto de la Cruz.Get the bus up to el portillo which is on the slopes of mt tedie.It,s the main bus station right in the middle.Just ask which one at the info booth.
    There,s one bus in the morning at 9.00 ish.It,s full of mtbr,severyday and loads of room underneath the bus for bikes.
    You,ll need a dh or very strong trail bike for up there.
    The forests are full of trails and it,s all down hill. 😉
    If you speak a bit of spanish the local lads are cool.
    Trails form el portillo will keep you entertained for days.
    Also the orotava valley is good.
    The place is teaming with places to ride bud…

daleftw
    Free Member

Forgot to mention, will be in Los Cristianos.

From a quick read about biking there, seems like the buses are pretty good for getting a bike on?

robhughes
    Free Member

Yer the busses are great.
    I do really recommend getting you butt up to el portillo though. 😀
    Can i come with.lol

daleftw
    Free Member

Unfortunately the spare room has been turned into a gym Rob. It’s a tough life… 😉

rocketman
    Free Member

There’s the obligatory road ride up Teide

Was there earlier this month and thought that would be an intense road ride.

Teide to the coast DH looks do-able though, the volcano’s not that steep 🙂

cheers_drive

I was there last month.
    Road looked pretty good if you are fit enough – none of it is flat with steep gradients everywhere.
    I did a days MTB with Lavatrax descending from Teide to the coast. The terrain was pretty varied with rock from loose forest fireroads, to rocky boulder, to skin ripping pumice.
    Lavatrax are based in Los Christanos so they would probably bet to get a feel for the trails before exploring.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Going there tomorrow and I´ve got a day booked with Lavatrax.
    Can´t wait 🙂
    I´ll let you know what the riding´s like next week…

boabym

There’s a bike shop near the post office if you need any spares mate.

Hanky

I’ve been and ridden with Lavatrax, brilliant day’s riding from cable car at base of Mt Teide (long way down ride), give Darran a call. If we go this year I’m doing it again.

marco
    Free Member

Lavatrax +1
    The ride down Mt Tiede is awesome. They had a german guide called Mike when i was there. Top bloke, and good guide too!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Don’t think of doing the masca gorge. When they say walking trail they mean it. 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tenerife biking’ is closed to new replies.