Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • tendinosis
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

I've got tendinosis in my achilles. Anyone suffered from it how long did it take you to recover? What treatment do you have?

I need cheering up…

surfer
    Free Member

It seems to be the day for injuries today!!!

Is it swollen or tender to touch?

Either way ice will help in the early stages, dont go mad stretching just rest. If you can take them use Ibruprofen or aspirin. IMO dont touch it and dont let anyone else touch it (physio) as it will be absolute murder, take longer to settle and probably do no good.
    Unless its chronic it will settle in a few days unless your shoes are rubbing on that area. The blood flow is not great in that area so injuries can linger.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"Is it swollen or tender to touch?"
    So glad you didnt ask ton that when he mentioned his little problem on here last week 😉

marp
    Free Member

how long has it been knocking around?
    Treatment is rest and ice initially, but you'll want to start eccentrically loading it fairly soon. Can also try bowstringing which can be really nice in reducing discomfort in the area.

Eccentric loading – stand on a step with your heels hanging off the edge. Push up onto tip toes using only your non painful leg, then slowly lower both of your heels until they are hanging off the step and you'll feel a nice stretch in your calves. Do about 10 reps (but let pain be your guide)When this becomes pain free progress to pushing up with good leg and coming down on the injured leg.

Bowstringing – bend your ankle up (dorsiflex) so that you can feel a stretch on the achilles. Place one thumb over the other on the medial (inside) edge of the achilles tendon itself, above the insertion onto the heel. Slowly and rhythmically with a constant pressure move the tendon towards the outside of the ankle (i.e. move it in the lateral direction).
    Do this for ~ 30 sec at frequency of 1 / sec.

Also will want to work on some soleus and gastroc stretches

Hope that helps, and hope it gets better soon

Macavity
    Free Member

http://www.feetforlife.org/download/3291/FFLM-A5-28pp-v6.pdf

Moving foot forward on pedal can help reduce load on tendon (prevention).

roper
    Free Member

I agree with surfer and marp ony to add, when it does start to get better (which could be from days to weeks) and you are ready to stretch the area, don't just stick to that area. Also work of the arch of your foot up your hamstrings and your lower back too.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I've had it about a month. I saw a physio within the first week. initially it was thought to be para tendonitis (localised swelling) which settled down quite quickly. But with the tenderness lasting longer than anticipated it was deemed to be tendinosis.

The tendons are still tender to palpate after a month of Ibuprofen and ice.

The physio has prescribed the eccentric exercises as you have suggested.

All this because I raised my saddle to much.

marp
    Free Member

It's so easy for a simple and little change to knock things off and cause annoying (and painful) injuries. Could be a combination of things all ganging up on you to make it more aggravated.

It typically takes 6-8 weeks to recover from these depending on age and severity, and also on whether you rest it sufficiently. Inflammatory problems like this need a good rest from strenuous activity to allow them to settle before returning to full blown exercise.

You might want to have a look at this,
    http://www.clinicalsportsmedicine.com/chapters/28d.htm

it's one of the bibles of sports medicine and worked a treat for me in outpatients.

Also, did you have your seat raised for a while? Did your physio mention if you had tight hams? (i take it you have as you're a biker), do you have a good cyclists walk – tight calves and walk slightly more on the front of the foot?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Is it chronic tendonitis or have you had a diagnosis of tendonosis.

The stuff I've read says that tendonsis is typified by a soft flaccid feeling to the tendon, and usually there is no pain.

Tendonitis is considered inlammatory in nature and will benefit from NSAIDs.

Tendonosis is considered to be more to do with collagen seperation within the tendon and will not benefit from the NSAID's, some consider that they may worsen the condition.

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

What marp said. Mine recently took 5 weeks to sort itself out.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Marp.

I do feel reassured now.

dyna-ti

I was wondering about this subject.I think i have it too.
    I saw an ad for some fancy spd shoes.in the description it said that the heel was redesigned to prevent the 'dreaded tendinitis'
    💡 Bingo 😆 i had wondered what could have caused itdidnt think it was directly related to my spuds though
    What i get is ,if i go for a long walk,or am standing up for a few hours everything is fine.If then i sit down for ten mins then stand up,I find that its very painful in both tendons,i then hobble about for a few mins till they stretch
    Its been this way for about 2 years.I though it might be permanent,just like my whiplash from another bike related issue[Landing on my head]
    Bloody bikes 😐 .theyre a danger to your health

NZCol

Maybe look into prolotherapy ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘tendinosis’ is closed to new replies.