Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tenant advice, forgotten keys and a locksmith
    Free Member

Hi,

We rent a flat and I forgot to pick up my keys before going out, returning home I called the out of hours number to be told “we can’t get anyone to you tonight, call a locksmith” (their office is a short walk from our flat) so I did and a short while and £65 later, I was in my flat.

No locks were damaged or changed, and we live in a managed block with spare keys in the letting agents office.

My question is, where do we stand with asking the letting agency to reimburse? As I see it, they couldn’t be bothered to come and let us in, despite being ‘on call’ and spare keys being available.

I realise it’s my fault for forgetting to pick up my keys, but just wondered where we stand with what the OOH is for?

Many thanks, jt

midlifecrashes

Maybe it’s for wiping your arse and checking you take your PE kit and dinner money with you when you go out. 🙂

aP
    Free Member

I’d count myself lucky that the letting agent hadn’t charged me £200 for coming out to someone who goes out without checking that he’s picked his keys up.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Not what you want to hear but £65 sounds like a good deal

Id shut up

chewkw
    Free Member

Make a formal complain by demanding to be refunded if it is written in the contract. Hire a lawyer or solicitor if possible. Get all your neighbour to support your cause by asking them to sign a petition. Strike at the main entrance of the building.

flatfish
    Free Member

I realise it’s my fault for forgetting to pick up my keys

I think you know your answer already. 🙄

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Rewarding stupidity is anti darwinism, and for that reason, I’m out.

Flaperon

Can’t you just get the spare set of keys from the agency and leave them with a friend who won’t charge you? Or get a spare cut and leave it in a keybox somewhere?

cbike
    Free Member

They are a rental agency, no yer mother!

Out of hours number would be for Fires, extreme flooding etc.

They are only gonna call out a locksmith on your behalf anyway and then charge you a cut on top of his bill.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Have you spoken to Wiggle about it?

project
    Free Member

Join a union. Theyll support you!

Buy a keysafe from screwfix, and fix it somewhere unobtrusive and not seen, keep a spare key in there, a meter box is a good place to locate it.

I`ll come out and suply and fix one up for you, 65 pound, plus mileageage over 25 miles.

hels
    Free Member

Make sure when you are on the phone with them you get them to come around and change that lightbulb for you too.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Simply leave your keys in the front door keyhole at all times, that way you’ll never need to worry about this again

😀

project
    Free Member

Just remembered a customer left their keys in the house and went out, so because they had left the upstairs window open, they phoned the Fire Brigade, who came out on blue lights as she told them she had left the chip pan on.

On arrival she pointed out the open upstairs window, and said could you get in there.

So they kicked in the front door,as it was an emergency, they werent happy when they saw she didnt have a chip pan.She wasnt happy when she had to pay for the frame repair either.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tenant advice, forgotten keys and a locksmith’ is closed to new replies.