Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tenacious tape or Gortex Patches?
  • voodoochris
    Free Member

Hi,

Anyone got experience of using both and have a verdict on which one is better? Need to repair the sleeve of my Gortex jacket and the back of my Event shorts.

VC

mtbfix

I fixed some big tears in a light waterproof with duck tape or something of the sort. Did the trick in a manner of speaking.

matt_outandabout

Not on both – we have tenacious tape and it is great stuff, works well and sticks well. Do give it a good time to go off properly. Repairing a pair of dry trousers then paddling swimming a few minutes later does not work…

voodoochris
    Free Member

MTBFIX: I’m after something of a more permanent than duck tape.

Matt: How long does it last? Have you needed to replace it ever? Are the patches coming up at the corners or peeling at all?

Thanks

VC

Lummox

I used stick on puncture patches and they lasted a actually longer than the life of the material they were stuck on.

spectraken
    Free Member

I shredded my Marmot shell going over the bars. Used Tenatious tape inside and out and now, rounded the corners of each patch. No problems with them lifting up and it’s gone through the washing machine a few times too.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

>I used stick on puncture patches and they lasted a actually longer than the life of the material they were stuck on.

This is what I would use also, do you put the patches on the inside or the outside?

turboferret

I used a pukka Goretex patch on the sleeve of my Gore Fusion jacket at the weekend. Pretty much invisible and stuck really well, although it’s early days yet. No experience of Tenatious, but I can say that duct tape isn’t a great long-term solution from previous experiences!

Cheers, Rich

failedengineer

I used a couple of Gore patches on my gore phantom about 18 months ago. Been washed countless times and both still perfect. About £6 from memory.

Lummox

Stuck the puncture patches on the inside on the smaller holes and the biggies got one in and out.

Jacket was by Altura, but I’m sure it’d work on any smooth synthetic type waterproof.

Tenacious tape didn’t hold up on the same jacket.

BadlyWiredDog

You can combine Tenacious Tape with Seamgrip – urethane adhesive stuff from the same brand, McNett – for a permanent repair – this. Pretty effective ime.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tenacious tape or Gortex Patches?’ is closed to new replies.