Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Ten under the Ben – 2 weeks to go!
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Not seen a thread on this so thought I’d start one!

So its 2 weeks to go until my first ever race (as a team of 3). Actually really looking forward to it, as long as its stops raining long enough so that the course isn’t a mudbath. Expectations are low…one of our team has been injured so has done zero training whatsoever(either that or has been to lazy to bother), but the aim is not to come last, and more importantly enjoy ourselves.

So who else is going, are you doing it in a team, and do you expect to be as shit as us or actually taking it quite seriously???

🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

Bump…

someone must be going!!!

munrobiker
    Free Member

I am. We’re direct competition in the Trio’s.

Fortunately I have got fat and am not in race shape, not even dreaming of the podium that still eludes me at 10UTB.

tpbiker
    Free Member

all i’m dreaming of is not coming stone cold last, which I reckon might be a distinct possibility 🙁

Its definitely going to be interesting, I have no idea what to expect from either the course or the competition.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I’m in the pairs. Training stopped in April and today was the first time out on the mtb in May. Not going to be anything but painful!!

Think I’ll set a realistic aim not to come last too.

Hopefully not going to be as wet as last year, that was pretty damn miserable.

endorphinix
    Free Member

Hi there,

I’m racing too in mixed pairs. Keen to know if you get space
    for a race base somewhere near the course. I’ve bought camping
    passes but from the sound of things from years gone by its off course
    by some way. Was hoping to put up some kind of gazebo beside the car.

Any body got advice for the living rather than riding side of the event?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im in mixed trios this year.

Be good to enjoy the atmosphere for a change 🙂 ( presuming its not pissing down )

tpbiker
    Free Member

Yeah, we’re bringing a gazebo as well to put up at the carpark. I asked the same question a while back and a few other lads on here had apparently done it previously.

Forecast for the week aint looking so bad so hopefully it won’t be to muddy…and more importantly hopefully it won’t be lashing down all day.

Anyone done any training for this? I’ve gone from ridiculously unfit to just rather slow…..are you all lycra clad race wippets? (Munro excempt)…

I am looking forward to a well earned sesh afeterwards in fortwilliam however!

weeble
    Free Member

Ridden solo for the past two years in less than ideal conditions, last year was especially bad. Cannot do this year and the forecast is fantastic! Enjoy

DickBarton

Up for ‘support’ for a solo, male pair, mixed pair and a male trio.

Should be a good laugh.

tandemwarriors

Just back from my first ‘training ride’ in months! Big competition for last place 🙂

Rob

footflaps

First time I did 10UTB, a couple of years back, there was snow on the ground – was very cold hanging around between laps! My advice is take a portable BBQ just in case, we used it to keep warm!

fasthaggis

Even taking the horrible weather away,the course last year was just a bit too bland for me.
    ( and I have done all but the first 10UTB)

The GT7 is getting my money,really looking forward to it

munrobiker
    Free Member

Once I was a whippet. Now I’m a bit of a chubber, so no real training.

fasthaggis

Keen to know if you get space
    for a race base somewhere near the course

The cunning and keen set up a pit place(old tent/Gazebo), right beside the trail section that goes past the end of the car park.(far better for swapping dibbers or re-fuelling )
    These people turn up on the Friday afternoon, and (using all the best stones) try to keep the pit shelter fixed down (forget pegs).They then turn up on the morning ,park anywhere they can ,then ferry all the food and bike stuff across to pit shelter. 😀

The old Mart used to be luxury

althepal

I suspect I will be competing with tandem warrior for last place.. Still – he might have some cake to tempt me.
    Re a night out in Ft Bill- I ended up in some sort of (well, not a nightclub) late night disco a few years ago.. Jeezo is all I can say!

Northwind

Re gazebos- one with walls would be good but then you might want something to weigh it down, it can be a windy/wet/dusty/snowy place that nevis range car park. And yes, very nice to have- we ended up with random waifs and strays moving into ours. But don’t be a prick about it, some folks seemed to want to take up half the car park.

endorphinix
    Free Member

So just how noisy is the camp site?? Will it be a 10hr race on sleep deprivation, does anyone sleep at their race base in the car park?

tpbiker
    Free Member

i’ve got a static caravan…think it was the last available one in the whole of forwilliam 🙂

How technical is the course? I’m assuming if its a bit bland its not going be be full of sidewall shredding rocks and steep technical descents?

And as for small town late night discos…sounds ideal. I’m assuming the locals will welcome the introduction of outsiders contributing a bit of diversity into the gene pool 🙂

althepal

I wouldn’t say we were exactly welcomed! Growled at more like..

cupra
    Free Member

Ridden solo for the past two years in less than ideal conditions, last year was especially bad. Cannot do this year and the forecast is fantastic! Enjoy

This.

endorphinix
    Free Member

Any other tips from those with experience for surviving this event?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Looking at forecast- lots of water

Last time i soloed in the heat that is forecast i went through 20litres and still peed only once and very dark brown

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

As Trail rat said! Although at the same time don’t over hydrate, easy to do, will make you feel as horrible as dehydration. Water to pour over yourself is a good way of cooling down too. I am going to put an extra water bottle cage on for the weekend, so I can have one bottle for drinking, one for cooling me off. Sleeves will probably be chopped off if it’s hot.

But then I hate the heat! I will probably be the only one praying for rain!

Other advice, eat regularly and mix food types up otherwise you will be sick of sweet stuff.
    Either start fast-ish or just accept being a bit held up at the start, you will no doubt have some good, clearly laps later on. Maybe fit fast rolling tyres if it is dry and you have used them before, if not just swap the rear or not at all, better to be confident on the tyres you have. Take some spares with you, being in a team you should be fine to pool your supplies. And take some mild painkillers with you, nothing too strong as your body might have problems digesting them but good to have some on hand just encase…and sun cream! Sounds obvious but at 10 at Kirroughtree last year I was like a one man pharmacy dolling out sun screen!

Enjoy, maybe see you as I go round and round, hopefully, quite scared about it being hot!

tpbiker
    Free Member

I find it hard to believe that only last week I ordered a spare base layer and a second pair of waterproof shorts and seal skinz sock…especially for this event

Now the prediction is burning heat, dehydration and sunburn

WTF is going on with our weather!??

WackoAK
    Free Member

Lots of competition for last place, that’s what I like to hear 🙂

endorphinix
    Free Member

Was just about to go and order a Gazebo online and remembered those old bits of poly water pipe behind the shed, knocked up a 1 man muck hut (riding in mixed pairs) to shelter from the rain… sorry blazing sunshine in! Amazing how many things you can do with a big green tarp?

Any other interesting base camps out there?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Look at that weather!

I’m dead excited for this. Going to be doing some big wheelies round the car park tonight…

mangoridebike

I rode a few sections of the course last night, some of which form part of my local loop.

It is dry and dusty in the parts that use the standard trails, but the bits that veer off into the off-piste areas are quite soft still.

Tyre wise I reckon a fast rolling tyre on the rear and something with a bit of grip up front would work very well. My biggest concern was washing out my front wheel in the corners being unaccustomed to riding in such dry conditions.

coming home from a ride in Lochaber with a dusty bike is a pretty rare event 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Ten under the Ben – 2 weeks to go!’ is closed to new replies.