Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Tell us about riding with contact lenses…
  • wl
    Free Member

…as title really. Is it a nightmare or a good solution for someone who needs glasses? Does it work best with clear non-prescription specs to keep the dirt out? Ta.

druidh
    Free Member

It didn’t work for me. With or without specs, I found my eyes watered and I’d flush out a lens. I opted for prescription Oakleys. Most opticians will do free trials – go for that first, coz it might work for you.

LeeW

No problems, just get a decent pair of riding glasses.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I much prefer wearing contacts to riding with specs. Specs can move around on your face, and get all filthy with mud etc which can damage your lenses.
    A normal set of sunnies or clear lenses to keep the mud out and contacts i find a much better combination – plus you can carry different lenses for changing conditions.

flap_jack
    Free Member

didn’t work for me at all, but I have a bad astigmatism which needs weighted lenses, and they moved about causing depth perception problems. No probs with dirt etc behind clear specs.

iDave
    Free Member

never had a problem with contacts and shades

Kuco

I ride with contacts and wish I did it years ago.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Use to ride with contacts (the one day disposables). Not too bad, but they do tend to dry out a bit. Bit of a pain if they pop out on the trail too. Got the laser thing done a couple of years ago and it’s been brilliant.

mrmo
    Free Member

i use contacts sometimes, but the issue i have is my eyes are crap. due to the strength of the prescription, -6, any lens movement such as when i blink risks me being unable to see.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Rigid gas permeable contacts + Oakley Halfjackets work well for me.

wl
    Free Member

Thanks for these tips. Thing is I tried riding with my regular prescription specs for the first time today, and it was cr*p. Got mud all over them and it made me feel pissed for some reason (my mate says this is because I don’t wear the specs normally during the day, and my eyes will take time to adjust every time I wear them). I could go down the Oakley prescription route, but don’t want to shell out a load if they’ll just be the same as wearing my regular specs. Hence interest in contacts.

motivforz
    Free Member

Can’t stand riding with prescription normal glasses. Went to contacts years ago, and tried riding with glasses once between lenses and got peed off with them moving around and view distortion etc. Don’t have a problem at all with contacts, nearly always wear glasses whilst riding to save dirt/eyes watering with wind, but haven’t had a problem with eyes drying up, which I’ve heard can happen.

daver27
    Free Member

I use 1 day contacts solely for riding, glasses everywhere else. I never have a problem with my eyes watering too much, quite the opposite. I wear clear non prescription cycling glasses (endura ones) and its been a revelation for me. I take along a little pipet of saline in case they get too dry.
    Prescription glasses give you a field of vision in front of you, but your periferal vision (probably not spelt right!) is out of focus, i found that made wearing prescription glasses impossible for me as it made me dizzy when riding!

Just make sure you clean your hands before taking them out after a ride!

julians
    Free Member

I have to wear contact lenses (my vision cant be corrected with glasses), and I dont have a problem biking with them.

On the front wheel I have to use a crud catcher type mudguard and one of those pieces of fabric that goes in the between the crown and the cross brace on the suspension fork otherwise the grit gets thrown into my eyes, but with both of these in place there is no problem. I find there is no need to wear clear glasses if I have these in place, but without these its a nightmare.

simon_g

Fine for me with daily disposables, but yes you do need some sort of eye protection all year round (and it’s a good idea even for the perfectly sighted!). Cheap option is some safety specs (I like bolle siliums) if you don’t have lens-swapping sunglasses.

I keep a spare pair of disposables in my camelbak and another set in the car, just in case, although I can’t remember the last time I’ve needed them. Have worn them for about 16 years now and only lost or damaged one a handful of times.

Contacts needn’t be expensive, I buy 3 months worth of daily disposables for about £50 a time, and they last 9+ months because I only wear them when I’m riding or swimming.

wl
    Free Member

Daver – that sounds like my experience today – felt very woozy on the bike and rode like a total novice. Do you happen to know if that’s what happens with Oakley-style sports specs as well as everyday specs? The case for contacts looks strong.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Daily disposables with Oakley Half Jackets for me. Got clear and Iridium Black lenses for the Oakleys, so never ride without them. Once got some dirt behind a lens when I forgot them, don’t ever want that to happen again!

MartynS

astigmatism here.. I have daily disposables for riding in, and monthlies the rest of the time and no problems with them moving

I didn’t used to bother with glasses either until I jammed my eye into a bush.

Optitions will sort you out with trial packs of lenses. Give it a go.

overthehill
    Free Member

I rode with disposable contacts for years, before getting laser surgery.
    As druidh, I found problems with wind-rush causing tears, but solved this by experimenting with different designs of shades. Found some yellow-lensed adidas ones that worked year-round, tint-wise and also improved depth perception which was a bonus.

I wouldn’t bother with the expense of prescription oakleys until you’ve tried various contact lens options and combinations

pop-larkin
    Free Member

After saturdays ride Im going back to contacts when its wet- I just find i steam up on technical/slower section with glasses and its a mare

carlosg
    Free Member

been using contacts and Oakley half jkt xlj transition shades during the day and Madison d’arcs with clear lens at dusk/night . I keep thinking about the laser treatment but everytime we save some money something breaks or needs buying.

nick3216
    Free Member

Wasn’t the best with hard lenses. In fact it was a nightmare. Moved to soft lenses ten years ago and I’venever looked back (ahem, sorry).

I always ride with shades (lear lenses at night) to help keep out muck. Only problem is if I forget to blink during a really long technical section and they start to move around until I get them lubricated.

Shades might sound like an oxymoron if you’ve got contact lenses but the time I out a branch through my cheek faceplanting a tree reminded me that glasses are for protecting against more than just grit.

samuri
    Free Member

When I wear contacts I have soft dailies and usually wear riding glasses too. In fact, that’s usually the reason I wear contacts, when it’s sunny and I want to wear dark glasses. The rest of the time I just wear an old pair of normal glasses.

40mpg

No problem with daily disposables for as long as I can remember (15 yrs plus). I just use Lidl sports glasses with 4 sets of lenses to keep wind/crap out, but can happily ride without them if they steam up or if its drizzly / mud spray. Just blink it away like without lenses!

Only issue I have is with all night rides, bivvys and 24hr races where the dailys get very uncomfortable, requiring changing them at some point. Also I can’t sleep in them at all, so even a quick nap means changing them. For this reason I’m saving the pennies for laser treatment.

fandango
    Free Member

Always ride in my (monthly) disposable contacts. If I’m anywhere but pootling to the shops I also use eye protection. Usually just some cheap clear lens glasses… nothing flash. Maybe have a go with a trial pair. A decent optician should allow you a trial.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Hi WL

Like others posted I have a stigmatism and couldn’t get on with the hard weighted contacts I tried some time ago so I have ridden with my glasses on for some time – with clip on shades in the summer.

However at speed the wind blew around the sides & made my eyes water & I didn’t feel I looked the business!

After much research I invested in a set of Rudy Project Rydon glasses with photochromatic impact(X)resistant lenses with an RX insert inside them with my vari-focal lenses.

These were expensive (£200+ with lenses)but are brilliant and really look the business & work at speed. I use them in all conditions for cycling and have used them for windsurfing too. They are black & I have just bought a cheap white Rydon frame on ebay so I can swap the lenses & inserts over for a change.

Other makes do RX inserts too to take your normal lenses…

Regards – John

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve been riding nearly 20 years now and it’s been contacts and riding specs all the way and never had a problem once, either with grit, wind or one falling out. That’s hacks round the woods and 12 hour road rides, all day Spanish and Alps epics, SDW, the lot.
    I do take a spare pair of lenses tucked away in my first aid kit but they’ve never been used.

daver27
    Free Member

Hi,

In reply, I haven’t used prescription riding glasses with an RX insert, i can assume they would be better as the frames would block the periferal field a bit more. I found you just get this focused area in front of you riding in normal specs that moves out of relation to your perfierral, with contacts you don’t. Also, in reply to the others that have astigmatism, so have I and wear weighted lenses and i have never lost one, sure they go a little blurry from time to time, but a few blinks cures it, or a quick stop to put in some saline.

Can’t recommend them enough for riding if you are a glasses wearer, just make sure you ALWAYS wear eye protection (which needn’t be expensive, my Endura specs are only £15) and carry spare lenses in car and pack and don’t forget to take your glasses either!

I also find it helps to put the lenses in at least an hour before riding as they settle down better, especially if you don’t wear them very often as it takes longer for your eyes to adjust.

If you only use contacts for riding as mentioned above, its very cheap as well! the only thing you may have an issue with is finding some that suit your needs, i find the biomedics ones suit my eyes best of all, and they appear to be the cheapest! it can take time to find the correct ones for you, but its definitely worth the hassle.

Daver

martymac

astigmatism here too, i use monthly disposables and clear cycling glasses, works great.
    i have used normal glasses but they arent so good, mate of mine has rudy project ones with the rx insert, work well but a bit heavy.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

I wear fortnightly lenses. Never had a problem that wasn’t shared by perfectly sighted people (eg the grit being thrown up into our faces when riding down the back straight of relentless). Haven’t tried clear specs over the top but probably wouldn’t bother unless doing stuff that would require a full face and I’m which case I’d wear my goggles. Ive been wearing contacts for 5 years. You get used to them but they take a while so persevere!

PS also have astigmatism!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I originally started getting disposable 1 day things for mountain bike riding.

Been using them occasionally for years for riding, summer holidays (so I can wear nice shades), when its lashing down and I am working outside, swimming etc.

Only popped on out once after rubbing my eye a bit too much. had to ride with one eye for the rest of the way which made distance judgement a bit hard.

Been to the Alps the last four years running and worn lenses every day then with no probs other than my eyes get annoyed after 8 – 9 hours in them.

Now using daily disposable comfort plus lenses. Although a bit dearer than my usual ones they are really loads more comfortable and I find this useful as I am only an occasional lens wearer.

I have to say that getting grit in your eye is a right pain. Use a crud catcher or wear safety glasses as they are usually free from work…

DaveRambo

I’ve been wearing soft lenses for years and always wear glasses of some description with yellow or clear lenses if it’s dark.
    Tried several types and most seem to wrok OK for me, I find that close fitting ones are the best to stop mud getting under the lens but it rarely happens on those glasses that aren’t so close

I always take a spare pair of lenses with me but to date have never needed them

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The only way you’ll know is to get a few trial pairs from the optician. If you’d asked me a few years ago I would have raved about riding with contact lenses, but my astigmatism is getting worse in my left eye and I can’t find a lens that will stay in place and correct my vision satisfactorily. Fortunately my prescription is not too strong so I tend to ride without glasses or lenses now; watch out for me bouncing off every obstacle! 😆

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Tell us about riding with contact lenses…’ is closed to new replies.