Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Tell me what car to buy oh wise Singletrackers
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I need a car but don’t know what. It needs to fit a bike in the boot (with the seats down) but will mostly just be me in it. It will mostly do windy A and B roads so I want something fun to drive, but still be comfy and cruisy on motorway journeys. Occasionally it needs to carry the kids so 2 seaters are out. Hatchback or smallish SUV/crossover are my preference. I like the 1 Series, Audi A1/A3 and Merc A Class and GLA, but probably too dear. I also like the look of the Mazda 3 and CX3/CX5, Nissan Juke (marmite, I know)…to be honest there’s a lot of cars out there and I’m not really sure what I want.

Still undecided about 2nd hand vs new (PCP) vs contract hire but the crux is whatever I do I’m likely to finance it somehow and want to be the right side of £300/month tops, but for that money I’d be wanting Beemer/Merc/Audi really.

I’m getting bored of it and need to be struck by a lightning bolt of inspiration. Inspire me.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

No lunchtime inspiration for me?

Edukator
    Free Member

Dacia Sandero TCE. (not a joke)

binners

bikebouy
    Free Member

Have you thought about one of these? This generation can be had for little money in older varieties, the later versions not too bad either. The new ones are still commanding high prices though..

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^what is it? (other than a Merc)

freddyg
    Free Member

Has no-one mentioned an Octavia VRs estate yet?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Golf. In whatever flavour you prefer.

br
    Free Member

If you’re asking, then something Japanese – ie boringly reliable.

unknown
    Free Member

In STW tradition I’ll recommend what I have – Volvo V40 in D4 r-design flavour. I looked at Audi A3 and the Golf GTD but preferred the Volvo to both of them. It’s quite quick, pretty frugal and does a nice cruise on the motorway.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

kubelwagen?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Well if you want it to be interesting to drive, scrap SUV’s and Audi/VW

Toyota GT86 ?

solamanda
    Free Member

How many miles do you expect to drive a year? Do you want fast or just normal?

jekkyl

VW Golf, absolutely everytime. It’s just a great car. GTI if you wanna be flash.

richmtb

what is it? (other than a Merc)

Thats not just a Merc, its the dullest one they make.

VW Golf, absolutely everytime. It’s just a great car. GTI if you wanna be flash.

Aye there is some truth in this

But if I was after a VAG i’d have one of these

rickmeister

Can you get that in a colour, or is primer the only option ?

northernmatt

Don’t even think about a Juke if you have kids, they are laughably small inside.

What about a Focus ST? Can be had for under your budget and would be fun on your A&B roads and cheap on the motorway if you went for diesel version.

Daffy

Mini Clubman (previous generation) are nice to drive, very economical and I can get my SS roadbike in the back without taking the wheels off. You can get any bike in the back with just the front off.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Funnily enough that was another one on my short long list Rich.

How many miles do you expect to drive a year?

Do you want fast or just normal?

Depends who’s measuring 🙂 Having been lucky enough to own and drive an Elise and a Boxster, I can safely say I don’t need faster than that, but I’d certainly prefer something below 9s 0-60mph. How it feels to drive rather than out and out speed it arguably more important.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ That Merc is a BClass. They do all sorts of varieties, Petrol 1.8 & 2ltrs, through all range of Diesels from 1.8 to 2ltrs, manuals and autos. Autos mainly out there, don’t discount petrol manuals though.
    Keep a look out for AMG variants too.

I’ve owned a couple, the version above and the new one (which I have now) been great for chucking the bike(s) in incl wheels fitted.

Just a thought.

solamanda
    Free Member

In that case look at an old shape honda civic petrol. You can get an exceptional example for under £5k, lots of space in the boot and they’re actually quite involving to drive with good handling and high revving engine. 0-60 is under 9 seconds. My wife has one, they’re much better value than VAG brands.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Don’t even think about a Juke if you have kids, they are laughably small inside.

I’ve sat in one. I thought the boot looked quite practical for a small car and, whilst I couldn’t physically sit upright in the back, it will typically only need to carry kids to school and back and won’t get used for family journeys (we have an MPV for that).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

solamanda do you mean the old shape or the old old shape? I had a 56 plate Civic CDTi and loved the practicality but the unpredictable turbo lag was something I never grew accustomed to.

pinkwafer

Fiesta ST or 208gti?

kayak23

Berlingo. Natch.

solamanda
    Free Member

I mean the same shape but petrol 2006+, so no lag. I’d avoid the diesel versions with your low mileage and they are alot more expensive second hand.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

lol it’s funny this. My head is swimming with different ideas for cars. I don’t know why asking on here would improve that situation 😆

FWIW the car I want is a BMW 1 Series 118 or 120d, automatic and with xDrive, but even second hand models are a bit steep.

solamanda
    Free Member

In that case look at the 3 series. I was looking at cars like 123d’s until I realised I could get a 335d for almost the same money!

Harry_the_Spider

I struggle with long sentences. In true STW style I will recommend the car that I own.

You need an Smax.

Edit – Quality auto correct for what I originally put 😀

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You need an Smax.

No I don’t. The other car is a Sharan.

Harry_the_Spider

Sell the sharran and buy something smaller then… Oh… Hang on.

JackHammer

In STW tradition I’ll recommend what I have – Volvo V40 in D4 r-design flavour. I looked at Audi A3 and the Golf GTD but preferred the Volvo to both of them. It’s quite quick, pretty frugal and does a nice cruise on the motorway.

I really want one of those v40’s. What size engine did you go for?

Are there any negatives about the design/layout etc. especially from a bike hauling perspective? Are there mounts for roof bars etc?

Currently running a 54 plate focus 1.6vct (petrol), and I know the basic design of the v40 is focus based.

unknown
    Free Member

The D4 is a 2.0 diesel I think, 0-62 in 7.4 seconds and I get an average indicated mpg of about 55, that’s with a fair chunk of stop start driving in town.

It’s not huge in the back but easy big enough for bikes with the seats down. I’m not sure if it has mounts but the xc models come with roof bars.

For me, it’s close to the perfect car, nice to be in, not too big/small, drives pretty well but not at the expense of comfort, quite quick but still economical. I sat in a golf and didn’t even bother driving it, just felt like a depressing place to be. I had a 118d BMW for a while too, it was nice enough but I prefer the Volvo.

jekkyl

do the seats drop and can you get a bike in the back of a beemer 1 series? or are you relying on a tow bar carrier which means you can’t leave the car unattended with a bike on the back?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Seat Leon FR Diesel? Plenty of power, shed loads of torque. VW running gear.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The 1 Series has a pretty good load space to be honest. It’s definitely an important consideration.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

How about an X1. We have the 1.8d Xdrive and it is a brilliant car. (ours was new) but you can get a second hand one at a reasonable cost. The only thing I don’t like are the run flat tyres.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Been looking at them too, but they’re quite an expensive way of owning a Beemer.

freeagent
    Free Member

I had a BMW 118D as my last company car.
    Great to drive, good fuel economy (50mpg even with me driving it like a tw*t)
    I could get two MTBs in the back with the seats down and the front wheels off.
    However the rear legroom is shocking, especially if you need the front seats right back – as I did at 5’10”

Loved it though – more fun but less practical than my current Passat Estate.

Kryton57

The 1 Series has a pretty good load space to be honest. It’s definitely an important consideration.

I bought one in October with exactly the same brief as the OP. They (the 2011-shape) are bigger than they look, and if you ignore the distance from behind you to the rear window the cockpit is quite like being in a five series.

I bought the 120d MSport – 0-60 7 secs, averaging 55mpg have done up to 66mpg.

However the rear legroom is shocking, especially if you need the front seats right back

I’m taller than the poster here and it must be position becuase although not great, I leave adequate legroom. I say adequate, because it isn’t good hence its a car for “me” whilst we also have bigger family car to cart the kids around in. Just don’t expect 5 adults in the car without the 3 in the back moaning, although of course they will fit.

This is the same as mine:

Lovely drive to, if you “get” BMW.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Tell me what car to buy oh wise Singletrackers’ is closed to new replies.