Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • tell me about…..double glazing
  • enduro-aid
    Free Member

so its time to sort out the windows and doors in the house which means having to intreact with double glazing sales people…

not looking forward to it at all, need 9 windows and 2 doors

what do i need to know? what should i watch out for?

I’m a bit of a simpleton on this topic

Cougar

Local independent > large retail chain.

I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than give money to the likes of Coldseal purely because of their annoying adverts. Between Reg off Corrie and that gareth hunt who looks like a budget, balding Wolf from Gladiators, my arse will heal shut before they see a dime off me. See also, webuyanycardotcom and GoCompare.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s two panes of glass with an air gap between them.

HTH

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Where abouts in the country are you? Might help people suggest good local companies. We’ve had very positive experiences with the company we use.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

i stay in south lanarkshire just south of glasgow

any information would be great

i prefer local compaines to big national as i feel that if im spending x thousands id rather keep it in the local area…small businesses and all that

mark_b
    Free Member

We had a salesman round last night.

Be prepared for stupidly high initial price, followed by ‘i’m not leaving till i’ve given you the best price i can get you’, followed by a massive discount.

Why not just quote me the sensible price first!!

Wharfedale – assuming you are a Wharfedale resident – which local company have you used ?

Inbred456
    Free Member

Look for a small independent builder / fitter that is in a tradesman scheme in your County, then get references etc from people that have used them. You will regret going to a national company if only from having to waste hours of your life negotiating the price down to the point where it becomes competitive if at all!

convert

When salesmen of these type arrive I meet them at the front door and explain to them the “house rules” to save everybody any wasted time.

1. You have just the one chance to give me a price.

2. No matter how much I like you and how well we are getting along, you will be asked to leave immediately if any offer or price is only available for the duration of the visit.

A distant relative used to work in the trade got us a few deals over the years. In the 2 businesses he worked in the real base price was 30% of the first price.

TheBrick
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    It’s two panes of glass with an air gap between them.

HTH

Poor quality has air anything decent will have argon or similar.

captain-slow
    Free Member

my mom played them at their own game, got two salesmen from different companies around at same time and told them to start bidding against each other whilst she went to make a nice pot of tea…

matt_outandabout

Go on a recomendation – speak to people at the bike club/pub/church/village shop/golf club etc etc and ask

donsimon
    Free Member

Just out of interest, can anyone give an approx price per m2 for double glazing?
    General figures.
    Thanks.

TooTall
    Free Member

Price varies depending on what you want ie cheaper with less opening parts and sniffer vents.

You want a FENSA registered firm. Local and small is best. When I last did it I got a national, a large local and a small local to bid. The first two were salesmen – the small local was the bloke who makes the units. He gave a fixed price that was good for 6 months (and cheapest) – the other two did’t.

donsimon
    Free Member

I know prices will vary, I was just looking to see if the variation is between 25-30 quid per m2, 80-120 quid per m2 or 200+ quid per m2. Just to see some real world prices. Ballpark figures as it were.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

We got 5 windows, a new porch and a large patio door fitted for less than £3500, just used a local company.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘tell me about…..double glazing’ is closed to new replies.