• This topic has 18 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gazc.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tell me about your old camper: mpg, reliability, age, miles, value
  • sideshow
    Free Member

Currently in the process of campervan shopping. Realistically most things in our price range are about 15 years old, though even these seem a lot more expensive than my Talbot was when I sold that in 2010! So I could do with some data points, if anyone fancies answering the following…

what’s your van?
    how old?
    how many miles?
    what mpg do you get (state petrol/diesel/lpg)?
    how much maintenance needed per year (£)
    what do you reckon it’s worth?

tiggs121
    Free Member

We have one of these.
    Duetto Autosleeper

16 years old

75k miles

30 – 35 mpg Deisel

Costs around £200 per year to maintain

Insurance is also around £200

Worth 12-14k

Stoner
    Free Member

’03 Reg T4.

135,000 miles.

Cracked head last summer, new one fitted by local French garage for about €1,200 IIRC.

£250 pa for VED. About £220 for insurance.

Needed some new rear springs for it’s MOT this year. Otherwise it’s a pretty reliable old box. Originally converted 10+yrs ago by a fellow forumite from whom I bought it 9 yrs ago with 50k on the clock for £17k IIRC. We’ve probably slept over 200 nights in it since then, and it was our second vehicle for a while. I occasionally use it for moving big stuff around once the seats have been removed, which is v useful. Although now I try and keep it under it’s winter cover to keep it tidy when not in use until spring. The kids love it, and grew up in it.

It’s getting long in the tooth now, but we’ve decided to drive it into the ground rather than up grade it.

It’s probably worth somewhere between £8k and £10k.

I get 40mpg autoroute cruising, slightly less ragging it around the mountains.

IHN

T5 Amdro Angel
    Daily driver, £250 insurance, £500 average servicing per year (possibly not that much)
    Mid to high thirties mpg
    54 plate
    Insured for 14k, God knows if that’s accurate

paladin

Bongo
    20 years old
    80k miles
    2.5 TD 4×4 , approx 24mpg
    First year we had it, it needed a few hundred £ of welding, new radiator, leisure battery. I’ve also fitted a dash cam, reversing cam, new stereo, new belts, new fridge, coolant level alarm.
    So last year was expensive, this year I’m hoping to onlypay out for diesel, oil & gas

ianfitz
    Free Member

We’ve a self converted camper 03 plate T4 218k. Short wheelbase, pop top, full width rock an roll day bed with 3 belts. Worth £5,000, does high 30’s most of the time.

Up to 500 a year for servicing i’d guess

sideshow
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Anyone got some numbers for a petrol one?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I’ll bite !

Priceless !

Van about £6000 full Reimo conversion and very reliable 1.7 diesel unit

konabunny
    Free Member

Duetto Autosleeper

16 years old…Worth 12-14k
    😯

white101

T25 Westfalia Joker, 1988 1.6 td 199k kms (LHD import from Germany) not sure what it does on diesel tbh never really thought about it, insurance is £360 includes uk and Europe recovery, bought for £8k prob worth about the same or a little bit more. Its in fantastic condition and has an amazing interior. So far I’ve bought a new starter motor £160, engine servicing and parts c£500 couple of mot’s and subsequent ball joint and new brakes another £350.

I did 2 weeks in Europe last year drove as far south as Zurich without a single issue.

Looking forward to hitting Holland and Belgium again in June this year.

Davesport

Hymer B644. Bought new, now 10 years old. 30 odd thousand on the clock. Does about 24 MPG when fully loaded, kayaks on the roof reduce this a wee bit. No major expense so far apart from the shower tray that developed a crack. Annual maintenance costs about a ton by the time all the filters and fluids are replaced. I do everything myself. I’ve been through one set of tyres and the set I’m on now have got about a year left. Also replaced the front discs and pads. Cheap to tax at about £160.

Best money I ever spent and I wish I’d bought it sooner and when the children were younger. Now used for mountain biking and hill walking forays.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ecYTe1]001[/url] by Davesport62, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ecYSUG]056[/url] by Davesport62, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ecTeuB]040[/url] by Davesport62, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ecYSmA]Panorama 2[/url] by Davesport62, on Flickr

RoterStern
    Free Member

We bought one of these at the end of last year. Sleeps six which is the number of our family and I am legally allowed to drive at 130kph on the German Autobahns which was the main reason we decided to sell the caravan and get one of these. Ours is still under guarantee for the next three years so not sure about servicing and parts etc. Hoping to use it a lot for races this year, too.

Andy

MWB Mercedes Sprinter – professional conversion from new. Y reg so 15? Years old. Only 60k miles from new so hardly run in and drivers fantastically 8) Mid 30s MPG if driven with care. No idea of value, say £8-9k? Need something smaller and its starting to rust a bit so will be for sale in next 2-3 months 😉 .

lesgrandepotato

Type 2 vw bay window. 37 years old. 2litre type 4 on twin 40 weber idfs. Circa 20 mpg.

Not many miles last year, no maintaince rust free and mechanically sound. Value hard to tell 8-10k +

This year many more miles with lesbijoupotato onboard.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Hoping to use it a lot for races this year, too.

What you race camper vans? 😉

spooky_b329

Iveco Daily (converted by me)
    11 years old. (Owned it 7 years)
    95,000 miles. (35,000 are mine)
    Diesel, 25-30mpg depending on how you drive it.
    Maintenance – not much, perhaps £150 a year average, plus oil/filters. In 7 years its had 1 clutch, 1 battery, a £100 fuel pump, 2 radiators. Plus consumables; tyres/cam belt/pads and discs, roll bar bushes and cab mounts etc. Kept an eye on things and its never failed an MOT since I got it.
    Just tidying up some bits, probably advertise it shortly for £7-8,000.
    Four belted seats, fixed double bed, garage, small toilet room and a posh compressor fridge. Build includes spray foam insulation, double glazed Seitz windows and rooflights.

db

what’s your van? VW T4

how old? P reg (97)

how many miles? about 50k from new!

what mpg do you get (state petrol/diesel/lpg)? 2.4 Diesel with turbo conversion – no ideas on mpg, less than I would like but limited miles per year means I don’t care

how much maintenance needed per year (£) never do anything apart from MOT £50, tax £230 and c£275 for the insurance. (Saying that about time I did an oil change.)

what do you reckon it’s worth? No idea, maybe 5-7k Its a Holdsworth conversion from new with reimo roof. Low milage and good condition but maybe I’m kidding myself!

🙂

vdubber67
    Free Member

Nice to see some Type 25 / T3 drivers on here.

what’s your van? VW T3
    how old? 1982
    how many miles? About 5k since a rebuild
    what mpg do you get (state petrol/diesel/lpg)? Prob 20 to the bloody gallon
    how much maintenance needed per year (£) Erm, £300?
    what do you reckon it’s worth? erm 3k?

gazc
    Free Member

aye good to see some t25’s unfortunately having to sell mine due to having to move down to one vehicle (newly found single…) 🙁

VW T25 1986 – 30th this year! 🙂
    Subaru EJ2.0 converted with full RJES kit
    I took the old basic interior out and replaced it myself, all new units/SMEV cooker/sink/LED lighting/insulation/crash tested R&R bed etc
    mpg – ? 25-30 ish
    tax £200 ish insurance £275
    had it 6 years and its passed every MOT fine except for a bulb out once
    usual service & odd jobs £100-£200 a year
    value – well had it valued at £5-6k but lets see what happens. it has loads of ancillaries too (awnings/bike rack/spare wheels & tyres etc)

probably slept in it 300nights and its saved me and my ex a fortune in campsite/hotel/b&b costs for holidays, weddings etc as well as being an awesome base at festivals & the dyfi. never let us down except once when the head gasket went & the cost of getting that engine rebuilt triggered the subaru conversion. to be honest the subaru is head and shoulders above the old vw 1.9 that was in it, drives much more like a modern van and cheaper to run too

gonna be a sad day when he goes

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your old camper: mpg, reliability, age, miles, value’ is closed to new replies.