• This topic has 42 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • tell me about, your buffalo….?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

ive been on there webpage and they look good but they dont really say whats inside or what they look like? you dont wear anything under them right? why are they so different to wearing a base layer etc? if the inner layer wicks sweat awy, doesnt it feel wet next to your skin?

jam-bo

i had one years ago.

never really got cold enough to wear it without cooking.

nickc

Very very warm. I wouldn't recommend them, although I know folk who swear by them. Layering is better most of the time for cycling IMO

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I often see them on the ride to work

odannyboy
    Free Member

i did think they seem like they would be too hot…being a soft southerner and all that…

alexonabike

Very hot.

-5 with a 15mph NE wind gusting to 35mph. I was in a buffalo with nothing underneath, next to skin, as I walked gently up Helvelyn. I was dripping in sweat in about 5 mins with all the vents fully open. not comfortable.

and i am a softy southerner.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stuartie, I've been chased by the Puddledub Buffalos in the past

TooTall
    Free Member

Montane. Superior in every way. Better fabrics, better construction, cheaper to buy. I've worn both in some terrible weather and I'll keep spending money on the Montane version (not that I really need to – 12 years on and going strong for my old one).
    I always wear a base layer (decency and less laundry). The jacket versions vent well enough for real midwinter night riding but too warm for most anything else.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Stuartie, I've been chased by the Puddledub Buffalos in the past

I think they're just being curious – quite intimidating though when they bear down on you.

gavinski
    Free Member

were great in their time, but other companies have finally realised it was a good idea and done it better themselves – basically a buffalo is just a really thick softshell, and with a less durable outer.

I have 2 – the standard one and a lightweight one – the standdard one is too hot for cycling unless you are doing that mad snow race (Iditarod??) or something.

They are particularly useful for standing about in the cold – marshalling an event, winter photography, or in my case waiting on really slow duke of edinburgh groups.

Smee
    Free Member

With the vents open they are fine for cycling in. I will be wearing one this evening on my inners night ride.

odannyboy
    Free Member

"quite intimidating though when they bear down on you" 😯

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I still use my windshirt that I've had since about 1992! It's not even spitproof but it's absoulutely windproof. Good for spring & autumn or cooler days in summer.

mt
    Free Member

Used for years, think it's good but have always used a thin base layer. Rightn now would be ideal for one.

euanr
    Free Member

Ditto TooTall. Montane Extreme: better fit (for me anyway), much better venting via the chestpocket AND the side vents, better hood, better finish.

Swear by it for Scottish winter Munros but only biked in it once when it was absolutely baltic. Lighter weight micropile types are brillianter for biking.

karnali
    Free Member

useful for a very foul weaterh commute, ie very cold windy and sleety, brilliant to wear under a dry cag for winer white water kayaking, too hot to wear biking apart rom extremes, although had mine 15 years and it is still looking in good condtion, montane is better and cheaper, i'll prob bet one of theose in another 15 years time when the buffalo has worn out

flatfish
    Free Member

wore my buffalo not a hour ago whilst walking the dog, toast i tell thee.
    agree with a thin base layer as it'll start smelling if next to skin all the time and it has to be around freezing to be the right temperature for me and my buff, any warmer and i'm sweating like a peadophile on a school bus.

carlphillips
    Free Member

have two montanes, much superior to the buffalo's
    i wouldnt cycle in them tho waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hot

ampthill

I wore mine last weekend in the snow and it was spot on

They are pritty good in the wet as well

way more breathable than a soft shell

but the pockets om mine are rubbish hard to acces and the stitching keeps going

they work by wicking water away from yout body

smartay

Big Face shirt here had it years, dont use for the bike though. I've tried using ti next to the skin but I found that when I warmed up I started to itch, thin tea shirt great.
    Only problem one of the side zips jammed

clubber
    Free Member

Here's me in mine – proper retro style in 96ish. Conditions like that were about the only time it was any use as it was just way too warm.

Lenny
    Free Member

Wore my buffalo the other night toasty and hot in minus 5. Good for wet and cold rides where your gonna get drenched anyway. Anything over 5 degrees without wind and rain you'll be pretty hot if there are hill involved. Also I find they only work when you are on the move so you can get pretty chilly if you break from riding. Mine's ten years old now so has extra venting after ripping it on branches. An added bonus is that they wash and dry in no time.

FOG

Yep I have had on for 15-20yrs and it has never worn out , mainly because I only wear it about 4 days every year when it is brass monkeys.

mick_r

Windshirt is good for biking all year round. Never tried the pile stuff as always heard it was too hot as per everybody else.

Newer ones are slightly improved (zips, cut etc).

matt_outandabout

Mine were great – but as above too warm 99% of the time if you are active. But GREAT for instructing in. Again, most of our staff now have Montanes, but they are slower to dry than Buffalo's due to all the extra re-enforcing and sewing etc.

B@rney
    Free Member

I've still got mine 1995 – 1996. Blue with the original logo, moved out 'n' left it, my brother used it for a few years, got it back off him and its still mint! Its probably by far the best jacket I've ever owned!!!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Too warm.

rustielookinchain
    Free Member

Used mine today riding in a blizzard above Ladybower – perfect for those conditions, but much less and they are a bit on the warm side – the vents work ok, but they're a bit fiddly with a pack on. I tend to use it for long steady rides on the winter, I've found the worse the weather and the longer you're out in it, the better they work

andyderbyshire
    Free Member

Buffalo and Montane clothing has been sold at Hitch'n'Hike, Bamford, Derbyshire for many years. We were the first shop to stock Buffalo clothing in about 1984 (Sleeping bags came first, then the clothing). Hamish Hamilton, the designer and owner, used to test his gear around here which is how the shop owners got to know him and why we stocked the clothing from day one. Hamish also designed the original Vango force ten range of tents.

I've used my Buffalo type clothing (Buffalo, Trax, Knoydart) for winter backpacking, snow and ice climbing, multipitch rock climbing on mountains, mountain walking, mountainbiking in cold weather, canoeing, swimming in rivers, abseiling through waterfalls, boating, sea fishing…

…when it's cold, my opinion is that there is nothing to beat this type of clothing. I have a Buffalo big face shirt and trousers, Knoydart light salopettes, Trax zip front jacket and a Buffalo sleeping bag and liner.

Buffalo type pertex and pile shirts are best worn against the skin. We have been testing the Montane clothing for some time and now think that it's as good as Buffalo used to be.

Buffalo shot themselves in the foot a couple of years ago by not being able to supply items we ordered. After a whole year of waiting, we cancelled the order. I understand this was a common problem, so you may now find it difficult to find a dealer. Hitch'n'Hike have a few items left, but I don't think we'll ever do business with Buffalo again.

Differences between Buffalo "Double P"(Pertex and Pile)shirts and Montane shirts are as follows:

1.As mentioned by matt_outandabout above, Montane are slower to dry because of the arm reinforcing.
    2.Buffalo has a wider range of sizes, in smaller increments, so if you are inbetween say, a Montane medium and a large, then a Buffalo may fit better.
    3.Buffalo shirts compact better for storage – about half of the bulk of a Montane (but the same warmth).
    4.You may find the actual cut of Montane shirts feels better.
    5.The Montane shirts come with a free hood in the same material and are about 20% cheaper to start with, and the hood is better than the Buffalo hood.
    6.The Montane shirts have a hidden crotch strap which is absolutely perfect for biking. Only one style of the Buffalo shirts we stocked has this (yes, it's the one I bought!).
    7.The montane shirts have a glove attachment point for winter climbing (I just use a short cord with a slip knot loop around my wrist).

To summarise, if you are going out in the cold, get some pile and pertex clothing, but try it on to make sure it fits closely. This really is the best type of clothing for poor conditions and I wouldn't want to be without mine! I've tried just about every type of clothing over the last 30 years. Also, get a hood and take it on winter rides. If you get caught out you won't believe how good it is, even used without the shirt.

Good riding, and if you see a guy riding a silver and black proflex with yellow graphics in the Dark or White Peak (me) do say hello.

Andy

andyderbyshire
    Free Member

Just realised I haven't answered your questions, so here goes…

ive been on there webpage and they look good but they dont really say whats inside.

Fibre pile on the inside, pertex on the outside. Fibre pile is what we had before fleece, and it's great! It's slightly thicker, like fur, warm and very cosy. It's really good stuff.

or what they look like?

A bit none-fashion, just functional. (I'll post a pic if I can find how)

you dont wear anything under them right?

Best not too. You can wear a very thin wicking base layer if you want to, but that will restrict the side ventilation! If you get cold, put something on top such as a zip front Buffalo or a fleece. Mine works great with a Paramo Velez smock over for cold conditions.

why are they so different to wearing a base layer etc?

They are a single layer system which works fantastically well when it's cold and you can adjust the temperature without getting off the bike by opening or closing the full-length side vents.

if the inner layer wicks sweat awy, doesnt it feel wet next to your skin?

No. It feels dry as the fibre pile wicks the sweat very fast to the pertex, which spreads it out and causes it to evaporate very very rapidly.

Hope that helps! Any more questions, just ask.
    Regards, Andy

epicyclo

I've worn mine in the 'Puffer twice. Wasn't cold enough the other 2 times. You really appreciate after about 18 hours 🙂

It's what I wear if I'm heading out into the hills on my own in snow conditions for the day because it is so versatile.

The big side zips let you dump heat really quickly, but snug it up and it's warm.

One of those backpacker towels is useful because if you stop and are a bit sweaty you can undo the side zips and quickly get rid of most of the sweat without undressing.

andyderbyshire
    Free Member

Brilliant idea epicyclo! I'll try it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sheds light rain and breathes very well – better than modern softshells, because the face fabric is pertex – uber light, mega windproof and hydrophlic; and the poly fleece is a very open weave.

Too hot for UK generally and I hate the drafts when you open the vents. I only wear it winter hill bagging when it's arctic – usually with a wicking base as I find the open-weave fleece a bit irritating on the skin.

I dislike the collar design too, get a raw mark on my neck. They look awful – but so do I! Reckon Montane have the better stuff nowadays.

BTW the mitts are amazing – light and small but very warm.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Oh and the fitting, zips and build quality was quite poor IMO. I got mine re-zipped at a local tailors when the originals failed. To summarise: A truly brilliant concept for cold weather functional clothing, rather poorly executed and marketed.

AlasdairMc

I wore my inherited Special 6 last night to belay, and it's incredibly toasty warm. I'm looking forward to some proper winter walking to test it out fully

Suggsey
    Free Member

Have two special 6 Buffalo's one for home one for work. tried it on the bike once in -4C snow/windy conditions with no baselayer and found it to be too hot for biking. They are my tops of choice for walking however but as others have said ordering can be problematic unless you can get them from stock in a shop.
    I have one of the no Paramo Velez Adventure Light smocks and its very breathable and waterproof but at around freezing with winchill found that I could feel the cold getting through to my shoulders. The standard Velez will cope with sub zero with a baselayer.
    My winter riding jacket of choice is a Rab Generator Smock, warm when soaking wet, breaths really well (was steaming like a sweaty elk at Cannock on Monday morning) and is very easy to look after and despite the flimsy feel will deal with the odd crash.Good for -8C plus associated downhill windchill no problems.

oxnop
    Free Member

I love mine, had it for 5 yrs and still looks great – despite being warn nearly every day 6 mts of year for dog walking duties.

Just bought a berghaus pertex/primaloft jacket to replace the buffalo for cold belay duties – easily as warm but stuffs down to the size of a tennis ball. Which is a big plus point over the buffalo.

timber

as quite a warm person, not much use for active stuff to me, but then I bought it for when I have to stand around on hills counting stuff

onewheeltoofew
    Free Member

I'm not sure if the others are talking about the full on mountain shirt but I've got the activelite shit and it's great. It's a bit warm in summer but its great when you need a jacket for the rain or cold. I use it for messing about type rides when I'm not racing up the hills and might be standing around chatting now and again. Ok it looks a bit like bag but a least it doesn't look too 'cycling specific' which makes most of us look like t**ts anyway. It's the most functional jacket I've ever owned.

paule
    Free Member

I've got a leading edge jacket, based on the same concept. They were a small company based in Hayfield, who made standard sizes and made to measure. My made to measure one has lighter pile than a buffalo, back pockets and extra reflective tape on the arms and back. Think it cost me about £60 in about 1995 and it's still going strong today.
    Can be a bit hot when riding, particularly with a camelback, but is excellent for really cold days (wore it on Sunday night in -3, and was OK having a pint in the beer garden, also wore it over a wicking teeshirt to run in last night in -4 and was a tad warm.

In other words, get one for most things, just maybe not for energetic riding unless it's sub-zero temperatures or constant drizzle (where I find it more comfy than a waterproof)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘tell me about, your buffalo….?’ is closed to new replies.