• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tell me about your bike/bus experiences
  • jmac
    Free Member

I'm doing a project at university at the moment to do with bus safety, and an area I'm interested in is how buses communicate with other road users.

As cyclists are road users (obviously), I think it is important to find out issues which affect them, whether good or bad. I don't cycle on the road myself but I'm sure there are commuters and roadies here on STW who may have tales to tell!

Any info is gratefully received.

crikey
    Free Member

It's all about eye contact…

You're at university and you are looking at how buses communicate?

It's a bus. Like a big car, but with more seats. An inanimate object. Buses don't 'communicate' with anything.

FFS..

jmac
    Free Member

I believe indicators, brake lights and hazard lights could all be described as methods of communication, but perhaps there could be other measures introduced to reduce accidents involving buses and other road users.

Sorry I wasted your time crikey.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find that the Edinburgh bus drivers (LRT) are on the whole very good – courteous and friendly towards bikes. I think this is because cycling in Edinburgh has reached a critical mass whereby it has become normal and bicycles are always about.

It ages since I have been cut up by a bus – it used to happen all the time. Now instead we get them leaving gaps for you and waving you thru junctions and generally driving well

I have actually been in communication with LRT over this – nothing has changed their end but IME the experience for cyclists in the city has

Doug
    Free Member

but perhaps there could be other measures introduced to reduce accidents involving buses and other road users.

Teaching other road users it's not healthy to try and beat the bus when they pull out of side roads or to be the third or even fourth car to try and overtake a bus pulling away from a stop when there's cars coming the other way AFTER it's already started moving. You can communicate all you want, there are a significant number of selfish road users that really don't care and see it as their right to get in front of you. They are usually to be found driving executive saloons, rep mobiles or commercial vehicles not requiring an extra licence to drive.

abductee
    Free Member

They are usually to be found driving executive saloons, rep mobiles or commercial vehicles not requiring an extra licence to drive.

I think you may have missed a few categories from your list including but not limited to ordinary cars, buses, shoes and cycles.

I would just leave it at

there are a significant number of selfish road users

sockpuppet

i was riding along, in a law abiding fashion. saw the lights change to red so i stopped. two seconds later a red double decker screeches past with the brakes full on, missing my bars by about a foot and coming to a halt 10 yards over the stop line in the other lane, stopping the other traffic going anywhere.

turns out he hadn't expected me to stop at the red light, and wasn't planning on it either.

some 'communication' followed*. i was a little alarmed*.

not sure this is quite what you were after, but i had to vent…

* i may be understating thing a little here

crikey
    Free Member

I was grumpy because I knew what you meant, but the way you chose to express it was poor. Don't get me started on the great dumbing down we seem to be experiencing, work on your communication skills…

What you are looking at is the way buses and more specifically bus drivers interact with other road users, and what experiences do cyclists have of this interaction…

Ask the right question, get the right answer.

project
    Free Member

Bus designers are now begining to fit smiley faces to their buses,look at the enviro models,as opposed to other body types.
    Also remember each bus can have up to 80 extra sets of eyes or 80 more back seat drivers.

jmac
    Free Member

Thanks for the posts.

In your experience, when approaching bus stops, do bus drivers interact with cyclists who are in the vicinity? For instance, when passing a cyclist then pulling into a bus stop soon afterwards, is there ever any communication between driver and cyclist about the upcoming manoeuver?

crikey
    Free Member

My experience in Manchester has been a bit either/or..

Usually, bus drivers will wait for me to clear bus stops then they will pull in, but I have had a couple of cases where the driver will overtake then immediately pull in, causing me to stop or forcing me into an overtaking manoeuvre.

An additional danger has come from the introduction of bendy buses. It appears that the drivers are less aware of the length of their vehicle, causing me problems. I treat bendy buses like artics; I stay well away.

I have fewer problems with buses than most commuters because I think i ride a bit quicker, and tend to be able to get away from them.

If it's clear that a driver has let me go, or is waiting for me to pass a bus stop before pulling in, I will wave an acknowledgement; I reckon what goes around comes around, and well behaved cyclists can make a difference.

djglover
    Free Member

It's not about the bus, its about the driver. Now go to the back of the class.

project
    Free Member

Problem with buses is they carry passengers, that may be terminaly thick or slow,they fail to get up or ring the bell soon enough for the driver to slow down behind the cyclist,thensafely pull into the stop,

So to put it simply bus overtakes cyclist,old granny on bus suddenly realises bus is near her stop,and rings the bell,bus driver has a duty to stop at that stop which usually has a raised kerb,for her,and guess what the cyclist he has just overtaken in now just behind him as he pulls in to stop,usually by good judgement and skill the bus and cyclist dont come into contact and the old biddie gets off the bus ok.
    As for bendi buses, the bus is over 40m foot long,and all the driver relies on is two mirrors.

ojom
    Free Member

not a bus but i had an odd experience this evening on the way home with a car driver who was apparently unaware what the sticks on his steering column were for. he came up around me on Leith street on the horn and waving his arms about inside the car. He stopped at the lights behind 1 other car and left no gap in the gutter so i waited behind him.

Lights go green and we move forward then he takes an immediate left onto Waterloo place and speeds off. I am at a loss to work out what i might have done to necessitate the application of horn and prescription of waving arms.

In contrast i am treated with manners and courtesy by all LRT drivers i come into contact with.

avdave2

All bus drivers in Brighton are colour blind or have special dispensation to jump red lights. On the whole though I've never had an issue with any of them trying to kill me.

Oh and were getting Bendy Buses apparently.

ojom
    Free Member

On that note i have noticed a massive uptake in red light running by edinburghs commuters. No idea why they do that cause it is proven (by my amazing scientific testing) that it is no faster to progress in traffic by doing so.

its also dangerous and makes people angry. if we are to be treated on the roads with respect then we need to be seen giving respect to the rules of the road.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about your bike/bus experiences’ is closed to new replies.