Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tell me about… Wycombe
  • Wheelsucker
    Free Member

Sorry, another one of these threads. Looking for some advice on High Wycombe area as a place to live, work and ride. A browse of Rightmove suggests rents ain’t the cheapest, so where would you live on 25-30k if working in H. Wycombe town centre? (No family to support but 4 bikes 😉 )

TooTall
    Free Member

Loads of really nice places around Wycombe, but not cheap because it is all nice. Miles of great riding that links up some wonderful pubs right across the area.

Look at transport links – HW is hell for road travel at rush hours. Handy Cross roundabout (over the M40) was one of the 2 worst traffic blackspots in the UK. I used to have to get through there before 0700 otherwise I’d be an hour late anywhere. Trains aren’t bad into HW – look along the train lines. Princes Risborough is nice but not cheap and not too far away.

Trimix
    Free Member

The further North you go the lower the prices (excluding citys like Oxford). The Chilterns is a great area for cycling, so anywhere close to it would be fine. You also have good rail / motorways running through the Chilterns, hence the high house prices.

South is very very crowded, very very congested. Go anywhere but South.

Of course there are shite places to live in and nearby, but thats the same anywhere. The riding is good all over the Chilterns though.

jeffl

Spent my first 25 odd years in Wycombe. Not the best place in the world nor the worst place.

Avoid Castlefield, and Micklefield, unless you want your bike stolen on a regular basis. Desborough area is full of students, which you may or may not like. The sands area, to the west of Wycombe, by the football ground is ok. Some of the ‘villages’ which I grew up in, like hazlemere, holmer green are ok if very twee and middle class.

Depends how far out you want to live really. If it was my money, which it was, I’d rent in Downley, which I did. Not too far out of town but not to close either. Also close to west wycombe and the chilterns for some good riding. Dunno if it is still let by the same guy, but ace landlord, let me know if you want his number. I may have it somewhere.

If you have any specific areas/questions give me a shout. Like most places you can have good areas that are only 5/10 minutes drive away from crap areas.

soobalias
    Free Member

you will not find any propertys advertised as being castlefield or micklefield, that said other areas are equally problematic…

which exact bit of ‘town centre’ may influence which side of town to look as will how you intend to commute.

for riding you want to be going northerly and westerly, chilterns, ridgeway etc.

i really struggle to refer to any of the ‘areas’ such as hazlemere or HG as villages as there is no discernable break in the grey extending from town…

if you have any specific questions, fire away, ive lived here for most of my life.

yossarian
    Free Member

High Wycombe has changed a LOT in the last ten years. It used to be a total shithole but is getting a great deal better

If I was in your shoes (I’m assuming no kids?) then I’d seriously consider somewhere like princes risborough, Chinnor or Watlington as good compromise between proximity to work and decent riding out of your back door. Granted the last two would require a bus or drive/longish bike ride to work but it’s about quality of life innit.

jeffl

@soobalias – The quotes were supposed to indicate irony. But try telling the denizens of HG and Hazlemere that they don’t live in a village 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

i had a never ending row with the missus about the status of widmer end
    she didnt appreciate me referring to it as a suberb of High Wycombe.

now i use the existence of street lighting to prove an area isnt a village (im really popular, can you tell)

oh and dont listen to yossarian either, i was out on the bike at the weekend and last weeks rain has returned the whole area to a shithole 😉

Squirrel

Worth bearing in mind that, awesome though the riding in the Chilterns may be, it is unavailable from October to March 😉

BillMC

Join the Hellfire Club

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have a kinky female friend living in HW. 6 foot-sih tall, goth, loves her sex (I know and don’t ask how as I’m not telling you). She has a BF but as he’s in Crewe and a moron (no connection there) I won’t mind if you give her so much she’ll dump the trash him.
    She likes bikes but prefers men. Piccy here.

Pauly

WTF?

RepacK
    Free Member

High Wycombe? Hum not a lot I can say in favour of the place..

A good bike shop though..

Cyclecare

& a nice brewery

Rebellion

so not so bad after all perhaps?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about… Wycombe’ is closed to new replies.