Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tell me about… VW Touran 2010-ish or newer
  • dawson

The mighty Verso (2005) is getting a bit long in the tooth, so thinking of a Touran as a replacement.

Probably diesel, seen lots of 1.6’s – would these be underpowered when car is fully loaded?

Was it the 1.6 or the 2.0 that had problems?

rickmeister

1.9 tdf I think has the stronger rep, less sensors, no dpf filter, long production history.

2.0 has more sensors, dpf in many cases, thought to be more problematic. As for the 1.6, sorry, can’t help.

Get on the touran forum probably the best bet.

geologist
    Free Member

I’ve got a 62 reg, 1.6. It’s very often loaded with 2 kids 4 bikes , and full to the brim of camping gear. It has never once felt underpowered. But it’s all relative, yes its underpowered compared to my old company 2.2 litre Merc, but then it’s a very practical family car, not a knob extension.
    I would have another one when this ones finished.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

CountZero

Nice car, I’ve only limited experience with the Touran, and it was a fairly new one, about a year or so old with a couple of hundred miles on the clock, picked up in Cornwall, and, due to accidents clogging up the M5 at Taunton I spent five hours in it driving around 250 miles.
    There are far worse places to have to spend five hours, believe me; it’s a very comfortable car, goes well enough, (can’t remember what motor, I think it was a diesel automatic), and I was really very impressed with it.
    I doubt you’d be disappointed with one.
    I have to say, I’m pre-disposed towards VAG cars, for some reason I find they ‘fit’ me particularly well, I’ve yet to find one that’s uncomfortable to drive for extended periods, and they just seem to handle well.
    Just checked back through my records and it was a 2013 car with 2200 miles on it, 1.6 SE TDi, and I honestly couldn’t find any fault with it, a very easy car to live with, I think.

curto80
    Free Member

I got 40% of a new one last year (15 plate) when they were phasing in the 2015 facelift version, which admittedly will be a better car with a nicer nterior if you can stretch to it.

Both the 1.6 (which I’ve got) and the 2 are affected by the emissions thing, with different fixes depending on which one. I haven’t had mine done yet.

It’s not a bad drive, the wife drives to work in it because she likes the higher driving position. Then we use it as the family/bike escape wagon at weekends. It’s a bit grumbly at low revs and not as refined or comfortable as my golf, but overall it’s a much better drive than it looks like it should be.

dawson

Thanks all, sounds like the 1.6 isn’t as bad as I imagined it might be

damomcg
    Free Member

I’ve got a 12 plate 1.6SE. It’s a great family wagon and seems to stand up to the abuse my three give to the plastics in the rear seat area. Only two complaints are the emissions issue and that the passenger side wing mirror repeater stopped working. Changed the LED module myself, didn’t fix it. Ended up at the stealership who eventually diagnosed that the driver’s door module was at fault. They wanted to charge me £250 for the part plus two hours labour, taking it to over £400! VW were not interested to help with the cost – a module like that should not fail nearly one year out of warranty. At present the dealership seem to have forgotten about the bill and I’m not phoning to chase them. Guess my point here is that the car is loaded with sensors / electronics which are no more reliable than any other European make.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2013 1.6 Diesel manual (just over 100bhp) and doesn’t feel underpowered. Less agile around corners that a traditional car but it’s to be expected with the additional height. The bluemotion I have also has smaller wheels which doesn’t help. I do a lot of A-road and motorway miles and I agree with the posts above, it’s a nice, comfortable place to sit. No nagging faults or anything after 3 years and 50,000 miles. Taking the rear seats completely out leaves a massive space for bikes and gear. Only negative I can think of is there’s no spare wheel.

benslow
    Free Member

I’ve the 2.0 TDI DSG Sport.

Love the car although I’d prob not go for the Sport next time – harder suspension, tyres, etc … Handles very well but noisier on the motorway.

It pulls massively well even when loaded up to the hilt with bikes on the top.

7 seats, 5 seats, 6 seats in cab mode all work well and its very comfy for long journeys (I’m 6’3).

Small size is also a bonus with the overall length the same as a Golf.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about… VW Touran 2010-ish or newer’ is closed to new replies.