Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tell me about turbo trainers…
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

I will be stuck babysitting the kids on my own 3 evenings a week so was wondering about a turbo trainer.

Do I need to have a regimented training regime of intervals or other painful sessions on it, or is there anyone that whacks on the telly/reads a book etc whilst just putting in some miles?

Are there any worth buying for sub £100? I haven’t done any research yet, but remember you used to be able to get them for £60 upwards?

jota180
    Free Member

I will be stuck babysitting the kids on my own 3 evenings a week so was wondering about a turbo trainer

Not really needed, just read them a story and put them to bed, you shouldn’t have to wear them out with exercise.

😀

more seriously, I used the Rides DVDs to get some saddle time in when I was recovering from an op and couldn’t get out
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46153

also available online from the usual places

mattsccm
    Free Member

Boring as hell. 1 Ramones CD is enough for me and gets you going. Maybe some Andy Williams for a warm up.
    Failing that some cycle racing vids to watch and race along to.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

@jota180 – 🙂

I thought it may well be boring, but I’ll be stuck indoors in the evening, plus might not have time to commute on the bike during the day.

Haze

Intervals, it makes it at least a little more interesting knowing you’re getting some benefit from it.

And you’ll be finished quicker.

Getting the miles in is very dull.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I recorded 10 tdf stages and about 5 vaulta stages for use this year with the turbo. Going to try one of the sufferfest DVDs, probably the interval one.

Sitting for an hour on a turbo at a steady pace is not an easy thing, fair play to guys who can do 3 or 4 sessions a week.

I am hoping to be able to do my long ride at the weekend, 1 turbo session and probably out for a jog.

I will be doing well if I can do 2 turbo session a week.

Graham_Clark

I have one for sale here that’s in your budget and seemed pretty good the few times I used it… (and the price is negotiable)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Standard issue – sufferfest vids are the only way i can do turbo or exercise bike. Stationary biking does my nut in

djflexure

I find I need targets and entertainment to make it work, otherwise its tedious. My current system encourages me to ride. I use a fluid TT, in conjunction with TrainerRoad software and some Sufferfest vids. Workouts are all measured, so you have a clear aim. Its all intensity training at around threshold (if that makes any sense). My aim for the winter is to increase sustainable power by using the TT.
    In the past I have just used music etc. This is fine for a while but without targets you can loose motivation after a bit.

citizeninsane
    Free Member

Merlin are doing some Minoura trainers for just inder £100. Could use them with sufferfest. Been thinking about it myself, incase this winter is as bad as the last couple.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Intervals is the only way for me, its utter mind hell.

Budget for a fan too, you will need it.

stabilizers

+1 for Sufferfest
    I was pleasantly surprised when I first did one. Turns the whole thing into not being a chore. Pretty much a regular activity now through dark icy Aberdeenshire winters.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I have the TV – pick something to watch and cycle away. Joined in the world champs last we to help put the time in. DVDs for intervals and alwatys HRM. Cateye rear bike computer for cadence. Sorted.

theotherjonv

I bought one recently and have been doing some sessions on it. Like you, too little time for riding properly and I had a couple of events coming up in late summer I just hadn’t put enough work in for.

Four weeks of fairly structured sessions of 40-60 mins 2 or 3 times a week on top of my regular one / two if I’m lucky rides a week, and the benefits were actually pretty good. The events went as well, if not better than prior years when I’d trained up for the events just by riding more.

I used these off t’interweb.

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/fitness-basics-turbo-training-24170/

You also need a HRM to know if you’re pushing hard enough (i was surprised by how easy some zones feel, conversely some are horrific)

I got a Minoura VFS-G from Merlin, about £120 with their online discount. So far so good, although the flywheel did come loose (easy enough to undo the cover and tighten the nut)

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/training/trainers/minoura-trainers/minoura-vfs-g-remote-fluid-trainer.html

[edit – and banging tunes and a stopwatch. And a towel, and a fan. And don’t forget you need a trainer tyre too]

stufive
    Free Member

I use one in winter its a satori is very good but i HATE doing it its the most boring thing ever i find whatching telly the best distraction..i also find i get aches and pains where i wouldnt on the road because i think you have more chance to notice it when you dont have to concentrate on the next car trying to kill you..make sure you get a nice big fan bigger the better..i use a heart rate monitor and work in zones its the only way i can make sure i do some good..good luck 😉

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I used to have one, but sold it on, managed to stick with it for one winter, but no more after that. I did persist with it, getting 2-3 sessions a week in for one autumn/winter. Just found it too boring in the end.

I used this website to get training sessions http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/indoorCyclingWorkout.php?nav=search – I think you’re best off aiming to do sessions around the 40 minutes – 1 hour mark.

I had a Riva Tesla trainer, which I picked up for about £90 new (few years back now) – very happy with it.

I used to sweat loads when I used it, you could always put a fan right in front of you to help cool you down.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I will give check out the Minoura / Riva or something similarly cheap to give it a try and will look at it being a short session!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about turbo trainers…’ is closed to new replies.