Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tell me about Tubs ??
  • Ifrider
    Free Member

About to buy a new (secondhand) CX bike that has tubs fitted… My plan is to use this as a commuter with road tyres for the summer and fat crossers for winter. I believe these can be a pain, are they more puncture resistant, can they be fixed if they do puncture etc etc… Are they actually that easy to change ??. Any help and advice much appreciated ta 🙂

m0rk
    Free Member

Less likely to pinch flat

Otherwise for commuting they’re be a PITA over clinchers every time.

The fact there are people that make a living from just doing tub repairs suggests how annoying it would be

http://www.tubular-repairs.com/

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yep just as above a right pain on an everyday bike

mikey74
    Free Member

Are you constantly followed around by a support car with spare wheels? If not, then clinchers it is :mrgreen:

TiRed

I commute on them in the summer months on my fixed road bike. I use Tufo tubs filled with 1/4 of a bottle of their sealant, and carry the remainder. I have yet to puncture, but figured it couldn’t be that different from tubeless that everyone is so excited by.

The very cheap tubs are a waste of money as they have little or no puncture protection. The very expensive ones ditto as they should never really be off the track/closed circuit.

The Tufos weren’t cheap, they aren’t any lighter than the lightest race tyres and tubes (ultremo and Conti) but they do roll better.

aracer
    Free Member

The Tufos weren’t cheap, they aren’t any lighter than the lightest race tyres and tubes (ultremo and Conti) but they do and they don’t roll better.

FTFY

crispycross
    Free Member

We’re talking ‘cross tubs here right? Good tubs (i.e., Dugast, FMB, Challenge, not Tufo or Vittoria) are the bees knees for racing. I thought it was all twaddle until I tried ’em myself. You cannot beat them for grip and resistance to pinch-flatting. For CX they should be glued down so well that it takes 20 minutes of concentrated swearing to get them off. For road use, you could use tape. Easier to set up and remove the tub but useless for CX. Clinchers get my vote for everyday use, every time.

clunker

Tufo tubular flat fluid. Never fails on my CX. For everyday use however I would be using clinchers.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

you want clinchers by the sounds of it. what rims and tubs are currently fitted? Im always looking for more CX tub stuff, i only have 6 sets at the moment and 2 cx bikes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Tubs ??’ is closed to new replies.