Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tell me about these here carbon 456 frames then !!
  • renton
    Free Member

Starting to hear more about these frames now and looking on the on one site they are looking like real value for money and im seriously considering getting one, few questions though….

Would you recommend one for a 18 stone fatty??

how do they ride compared to the stell inbred and 456 frames?

what forks would you recommend?

are they or have they changed the geometry against the steel 456 frame?

can i run normal steerer forks on it ?

lets have some pics up then too!!!

cheers

steve

renton
    Free Member

bump !!!

anyone?

robbo1234biking

I emailed on-one regarding a weight limit and they said there wasnt one so I dont think 18st would be a problem.

You can run normal steerers but will need a reducer headset instead.

Geometry is the same as a normal 456

I dont actually have one but am thinking about one like you. If I did get one I would stick with the Rev’s of my current 456

somouk
    Free Member

I’m also tempted by one as a winter bike. I normally only do road simple mileage in winter, no big hills or majorly bumpy stuff so I could swap all the parts off my bouncer on to a carbon for winter and back again for summer.

Would be ideal for a strip down to clean everything in the middle too 🙂

tony24
    Free Member

I cant see any reason for a weight limit they are crazy strong. They ride brilliantly !

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

My brother had one running 100mm forks and Singlespeed. Was very light and seemed strong too. Obviously they can take longer forks too and gears so can be pretty much any style bike you want.

renton
    Free Member

cheers, ive currently got a pair of fox float 130mm forks on my bike so would run them and swap the rest of the kit over from my full susser !!

cant get on the on one site from work so can anyone tell me seatpost diameter and bottom bracket spacing, front mech type etc.

also im sure i read on here that on one are changing the geometry on the next batch?? can anyone confirm this for me!!!

cheers

steve

tony24
    Free Member

The bb is typical 68/73 external bearing so hollowtech 2 or sram gxp for example.

Conventional type front mech i troed top swing but it messes up if you run a small double set up as the bulge at the bottom pf the seat tube is in the way.

The seat tube is a 31.6 with a 34.9 clamp.

The new geometry is down to the new angleset headset they have made which allows you to make the head angle more slack

mudshark
    Free Member

I emailed on-one regarding a weight limit and they said there wasnt one

Often manufacturers don’t have one which sort of surprises me as surely there’s some sort of weight beyond which things might start snapping – though maybe people that heavy are usually bed ridden or at least unable to sit on a saddle without it disappearing in their soft lumpyness.

wwaswas

[hijack] If you do get one and want to run a standard steerer I’ve got the appropriate Hope Headset in near new condition £40 posted. email in profile.

andyl46
    Free Member

I’m 16 stone, a good bit more with riding kit on, and on one said no problem when I asked them about my weight. I give it a bit of stick too.

Would I recommend one? Yes, and I have to many mates.

Never had an inbred or steel 456, so dunno. It does however ride like a hooligan at 6″, though not great in twisty flat stuff, when you drop the front to 4″ and it eats it alive. Great fun. for this reason…

… I recommend 110-150mm Talas or some adjustable revolutions. The bike has two very different characters at 4″ and at 6″ and both are worth having.

Geometry is the same I believe.

Yup, I run normal steerer forks through a superstar headset, though I’d go for tapered steerer if I had the choice. Not that I’ve ridden them, but they are pretty much universally acclaimed as stiffer.

Mine… a few tweaks from this:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/readers-rides/your-ride/q/514111508_andy-lyle46_carbon-tara

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about these here carbon 456 frames then !!’ is closed to new replies.