• This topic has 73 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Tell me about the On One 456 and maybe show yours.
  • slowmedown
    Free Member

I REALLY like my 456, it climbs very well, is very comfortable, I rode up Pic du Canigou in the Autumn, a 3 1/2 hr climb, I was still comfortable at the top.
    Downhill, if you are a bit of a slow wobbler then its probably much the same as many other hardtails, but go for it and its a bit special. I broke my DH bike during the summer, and so used the 456 instead, I was more than just a bit surprised that it survived, and by how capable it is.

pid
    Free Member

I love mine too – had it for nearly 3 years. U-turn Revelations – I wind them for longer climbs. It’s so capable I’ve definitely got better at riding by having it.

(Excuse gurning picture)

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Mine with crossmax’s, pike airs, e 13 drs and vice stem weighs about 30lb.
    Forks are stuck at 140mm (non u-turn), little bit vague on steep slow climbs, but with weight forward its ok. Quick enough for me on way back down.
    Would be nice if it was lighter, but not £1000 nice, so no Ti for me.

Am i kidding myself that if i get a 29er scandal i’ll become a climbing god? Have a feeling its probably just me being a fat biffer.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Brant, stem is 10mm lower these days as he saddle is now lower. Was lazy when the photos were taken. It is better DH with the stem a bit lower.

I also agree, the bars feel low because the top tube is short IMO, aids climbs though, I think?

mooman, I think a 4″ fork will be fine. I like my Summer Season best with my 130mm revelations as do a few others here.

Pikes were fun though in an unstoppable ride anything sort of way.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Nice to find this thread I logged on ‘cos it’s my 456’s 3rd birthday today and I was going to start a thread singing her praises(sp? that don’t look right) In 17 years riding I’ve been through a few bikes, a while back personal circs (divorce) and finances made me re-think the constant spending and frustration of having the latest susser off the (off)road due to this or that expensive mechanical. So I thought I’d try a hardtail again ’til things got better and gambled on a 456 frame-at the time a bit of an unknown- BEST BIKE i’ve ever had, no question.

Haven’t read all the above but to the OP your Fox’s will probably work, but, every 456 deserves (coil) pikes.

If your dithering buy one, you will not regret it.
    Thanks Brant. I repeat, best bike I’ve ever had (theres been a few!)

Here is mine with a 4″ fork on. Feels very stable on the rocky stuff even with the relatively short fork and climbs really well. Probably descents more confidently than my Santa Cruz Superlight.

Bars are at an “experimental” height in the pic, hence loads of spacers. Seat is at normal XC / climbing height. (I am dead on 6ft and it’s an 18″ frame)

MrOvershoot

My two

Mof
    Free Member

Well…I’m convinced. Spent a while weighing things up and checking out other options, seen the odd duff review but deffinately in the minority. I think this frame is going to fit in well with my currnt situation / desires.

Thanks for the input. Off to order one. (how long will it be Brant?)

devs
    Free Member

DSC00448

It’s got Pikes on it now. It rocks.

Woody
    Free Member

Here was mine – great in short blasts and did climb just fine with Nixons at 145mm. Ultimately I had too admit it was at least a size too small

billyboulders
    Free Member

Ultimately I had too admit it was at least a size too small

Something seriously wrong with the number of gears it had too 😉

Got my hands on a summer-season frame today, (cheers Brant / Hora)

Cant wait to get it built up 🙂 I have high expectations thanks to coolhandluke.

snowslave

snowslave

Hmmm, not much success posting a pic there…

snowslave

got it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Got my hands on a summer-season frame today, (cheers Brant / Hora)

Cant wait to get it built up [:)] I have high expectations thanks to coolhandluke.

Oh god, I hope you like it then….

brant
    Free Member

Gentlemen – thanks for the nice words. It’s great to see that you’re having fun out there on them.
    I’m working on a few things for a next generation model including which might see the light of day in six months or so. Includes:-
    Better tyre and chainring clearance.
    Possibly 1.5in headtube.
    Bigger seattube for gravity-dropper-alike compatability.

Vortexracing

Brant, are they 27.2 seatposts at the moment?

RS4KEV

Just make sure you get the right size. Unlike me, hence…

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=180321522008

brant
    Free Member

Brant, are they 27.2 seatposts at the moment?

Yes

snowslave

Brant, could you develop some rather trendy teeny plant pot holders that we can fix to those holes in the seat stays? Nothing elaborate. Thinking something like those test tubes with flowers in them on the dashboard in vw beetles

Finkill

Better tyre and chainring clearance.
    Possibly 1.5in headtube.
    Bigger seattube for gravity-dropper-alike compatability.

Sounds like it would be my perfect bike with those adjustments, although i think i will be ordering a summer season next week. Along with a 27.2 gravity dropper (which will cost more than the frame!) cant wait.

robdob
    Free Member

Better chainring clearance in the future?
    So do the ones you sell now still get so much chain suck the chain eats through the chainstay until it snaps? Just like my brothers did and mine was starting to?

Interesting.

brant
    Free Member

Chainsuck isn’t a frame thing Rob. It’s a drivetrain thing. Sorry you and your brother are suffering.

For those that suffer from it, the Red batch of 456’s and first batch of Summer Seasons are closer than some other bikes.

The New Blue 456’s and new Summer Seasons have an indent (I hate them).

Clearly allowing something to continue, where a hardened steel thing digs into a softer steel thing chewing bits off will cause terminal problems.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Apologising, more than one-word answers…What’s going on with Brant? Of late he seems to be…hmmm, how to describe it…’nicer’?!? Its slightly unnerving 😉

brant
    Free Member

Just wait. You aint seen nothing 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Brant. When you up the size of the seat tube can you make it 30.9 so my SSC dropper will fit in. I would buy one then.

Thanks.

carbon337
    Free Member

So then – has it ever been asked on here?

Which ones best for general UK XC and trail riding?

456, Soul, Prince Albert?

Consider cost, weight, quality, gemoetry, style.

Im a bit of a looks freak so not lovin the new 456 blue – however its cheaper than the others so would compromise on colour for its price. Souls arent cheap but better tubing – PA’s look the biz and are in between on the prices but not sure on weight and gemoetry.

Between the 3 of them lies my perfect bike.

Decisions decisions!

What would you choose and why?

inigomontoya
    Free Member

My 456 Summer Season 18″ now available as frame plus headset for 125 posted 🙂

perks

here’s mine, in “burger van” colours….awsome bike – always been really happy on it…

knottie8
    Free Member

mine today…..

I have been riding my SS inbred alot lately and forgotten how great the 456 is.

hora
    Free Member

Morning. I’m going to swap out my forks tonight and see how the summer season fairs with 150 anniversary Z1’s (150) on instead of the Pikes (lowers are circa10mm longer ontop of the +10travel diff).

Brant, would it be possible to run off some ‘summer season’ stickers to replace the http://www.on-one.co.uk one on the toptube? …….or are the stickers set under the lacquer?

brant
    Free Member

As 456’s are still stickered up as “inbred”, I can’t see us rushing to do “Summer Season” decals.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm (awakens the tinkerer within me) 8)

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about the On One 456 and maybe show yours.’ is closed to new replies.