Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Tell me about the Chilterns / Aston Hill
  • 40mpg

Heading up there weekend after next for a couple of days. Friends have got some routes planned, plus a visit to Aston Hill on the Friday.

I was just wondering what the trails are like in the area – and what bike to take – hardtail or full suss?

Ta!

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Chilterns in general: A huge mix of stuff, as it’s a big area. Endless bridleways and a lot of it is very good woodland singletrack. General rule – if it’s a bridleway through the woods not marked as any sort of wider track, it’s probably interesting.

I’d suggest getting this: http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/In-around-The-Chilterns-A5-size.html

br
    Free Member

We mostly rode HT, a susser is fine but you don’t need much travel.

And if its rained in the past few days, Aston Hill will be testing…

40mpg

Oh and what is the mud like? 😕

nashwaymule
    Free Member

I am lucky enough to live in the Chilterns loads and loads of trails no massive ups or downs just they come thick and fast. Easy to stitch together multiple days riding with out ever really re riding the same stuff. I have spent 7 years now learning it all so prepare to get lost. As a very rough guide
    East of the M40 is generally heavier on the roots and the mud the sort of mud that sticks to everything it also tends to get more horse traffic. west of the M40 some good free(ish) draining stuff plenty of flints.
    I find the best stuff is in a triangle from Watlington over to Henley and back to Wallingford some good cheeky routes from the M40 bank.
    Aston hill is a laugh one XC route the rest is more leaning towards the DH stuff if its wet it is very very slippery chalk and roots but it is small and your never far away from the car.

senorj

The trails in the area are very underrated IMO. Hardtail deffoe.
    Bonty Mud x will manage with the mud ok.
    I was at Epping on Monday – if Epping isn’t too bad the Chilterns are always better. So,I’m off to Ashridge & Wendover(Aston Hill) in the morning for the first time in ages! 😀
    Route BR up there taught me! 🙂
    For me,Aston Hill is nice to tag on to a ride , but not a must do.
    (XC trail bimbler here)

br
    Free Member

Afternoon J, getting back out now?

(XC trail bimbler here)

😯

There is loads of stuff, if its wet I’d stay above the Princes Ris/Wycombe valley. And a lot of cheeky trails, try Strava for routes.

Murray

Aston Hill XC was very ridable at the weekend. Surface to Air looked quite busy as I bumbled past.

Unfortunately, the forecast is for rain later in the week. As others have said, Aston Hill is a bit slippery when wet – I’d stick to bridle paths,

renton
    Free Member

Anyone know any good routes from Benson at all?

senorj

@br – hello.
    keeping my eye in. 😉

bradley
    Free Member

There’s a great route around Christmas Commons in that book! I know it off by heart, all 25 miles 😀

Keep meaning to head off and complete all 50~ routes in the book but I just cant find the time or I get invited to other places with friends…

nashwaymule
    Free Member

@Bradley

I know the route its a cracker!!
    Really cheeky Footpath descent from christmas common down to Watlington from the road opposite the righthand tower over two styles then 3 miles of tight twisty ST.

bradley
    Free Member

Not sure if we’re thinking of the same route…You show me yours I’ll show you mine? 😀

nickc

nashwaymule….shut up!! seriously, that’s not particularly well known (apart from now loads of peopleknow about it!!) First rule of cheeky, yeah?

There are N O decent rides anywhere in the chilterns, move along, nothing to see, it’s the North Downs You want….

bradley
    Free Member

That’s fine nickc, you’re not welcome anywhere else either so best stick to the Chilterns you so well know and love 😀

bradley
    Free Member

Btw sorry nickc but I now will be google mapping the righthand tower and cheeky footpath next time I hit CC just to spite you…

renton
    Free Member

Anyone know any good routes from the Benson area??

rob2
    Free Member

Renton – up grims ditch from mongewell (by the Wallingford bypass) then up through mongewell woods; down through Nuffield; across to nettlebed then back down bridleway towards the dump sorry recycling centre or you can do a massive loop over to Christmas common and watlington! I’ve got some gpx files. Sheck on here will have some too.

We run the cafe in Cholsey – if you are ever near, drop in and I can show you some routes. Two small children mean little biking for me!

renton
    Free Member

Cheers for that Rob2!! Im based down at RAF benson and Im sure there is a mtb club on camp just never had time to get out with them !!

Whats the cafe called? is it near the centre where the tesco is?

sheck

Trails are drying out nicely, although I haven’t ridden some of those that suffer in the winter. Renton, given its a bit drier, a nice trail to try and fit in on the way back from Nettlebed would be Digberry Lane (called Young Offenders by some on here)… It’s great fun and fast in the dry, but horrific in the slop. Probably needs a bit of traffic down it right now to carve a dry line through the hoof prints!

nickc

renton, I’m out from Watlington most weekends (not this coming though) happy to show you round.

rob2
    Free Member

Yep it’s the cafe by the tescos. Bike mags in there too for a bit of reading!

renton
    Free Member

nick c… thanks for the offer.. will take you up on that once ive built up a decent enough base fitness so I dont embarrass myself !!!

dsb181
    Free Member

Is the guide book worth getting?
    I’m from close to Banbury where there isn’t much to my knowledge apart from bridleways (unless anybody could tell me different?!).

It’s easy to jump onto the motorway to J6 (Lewknor) although I have yet to do it, could anybody point me in the direction of a 25-30 mile loop in the area or should the guide book point me in the right direction of routes in the area.

nickc

dsb181, what you need is a jalopy*.

I’ll sort one out for sometime in the next couple of weeks, ok?

*some of the better bits of the chilterns from Watlington all joined up (complete route is about 40, but we’ll cut it down)

dsb181
    Free Member

That would be awesome Nick, thank you. Looking forward to a change to round here!

bradley
    Free Member

Dsb181 I’ve got the book following reccommendations from others on here. I’m happy to go for some rides around using this book with you and anyone else?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about the Chilterns / Aston Hill’ is closed to new replies.