Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Tell me about Stainburn please
  • lowey

Thinking of going over this weekend. Whats it like in comparison to, say, Gisburn or Lee Quarry, how long are the trails ? where's the trail head etc etc….

Many thanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

V short but alot of features.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

One super technical short black loop

One fun climb and descent, red and again short

Car park is here

Edit: There are also some natural trails on the other side of the road, but I didn't ride these yet.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I think its for a certain type of rider. Gisburn and dalby can be ridden by most at a slow speed. I have to walk a lot of Stainburn mainly due to Xc race bike and my lack of skill.
    Its good for a look either way but i think you will love or hate it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it's a very small forest – there simply isn't the space for a 'normal' trail centre.

and so the trail-pixies have made it very difficult to ride, in a good way.

you will pick your way to the bottom of a lovely technical descent, only to spot a sign telling you that it should be a climb.

it's brilliant, but difficult, it's addictive (one of the most entertaining 'trail centres' i've ever ridden)

best ridden on a hardtail, imho…

simonralli2
    Free Member

Worthy of being called "double black" on the boulder trail, but also has a short xc loop too which is good for a few blasts, and the other side of the road has some great sections too if you can find them and there hasn't been forestry work wrecking them.

I can barely ride it but that is not a criticism, it is superbly designed. It can be stop start in a good way, in that some sections are worth having a look at before committing to. I have been upside down over the handlebars here but landed safely due to the forest being on a very steep slope. 😀

Chew
    Free Member

Start here Dave:
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=420976&y=450928&z=115&sv=420976,450928&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=672&ax=420976&ay=450928&lm=0

Only round the corner from me, but never go as i'm not a fan. Its short and tecchinical.

If you're going somewhere else, i'd say pop in for an hour and have a ride round, but its not worth a special trip, just to ride it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As said above, you'll either love it or hate it. Depends on whether you like play biking. Alot of people who 'get it' come away saying they have improved their skills. As awiles says, the forest is very small so it was pointless building a standard xc trail as it would be over in 15 mins, hence the reason why they built slow speed techy stuff to play on. However, for a bit of relief from the slow techy stuff, there is also the XC Descent Line (it's not a DH track), which starts at the top corner of the short red loop. There's also some skinny log rides to play on, again, on the red loop.

You can easily spend a good few hours playing around there, trying to ride everything clean, there's always something to come back to next time. I find it's better done with a group of like minded friends.

trail maps are here

lowey

Thanks guys. Sounds more like the kind of place to go with a few mates and mess around rather than on my own.

Mugboo

Seriously addictive place, you will go and vow never to go back or go back for ever…

I went for a look in my first year of riding and couldn't believe people could ride that kind of thing!

I didn't let that put me off and now only have one or two sections i've yet to clean (or in some cases even attempt). Plus i made the mistake of going to a dig day 5yrs ago and it turns out i'm now addicted to that too!!

I'd back B.A.nana up and say its best shared with a like minded mate if your gonna play on the Warren Boulder Trail for the first time, its too easy to talk yourself out of things on your own.

As for the bike, the original builders thoughts were technical XC, think whats now called a Hardcore Hardtail but i prefer my Hemlock as it makes up for my lack of skill!

If you like techy climbing then the return leg is a proper challenge too.

As for Norwood, Stainburns natural side then head across the road, through the gate and look out for Yellow squares on the trees on your left.

A loop has been created that runs around the place taking in some great singletrack and more techy conundrums… Its a place to ride around with eyes peeled cos theres a lot more there than you think and it'll be riding fast, dry and loose at the mo. 😆

Mugboo

Seriously addictive place, you will go and vow never to go back or go back for ever…

I went for a look in my first year of riding and couldn't believe people could ride that kind of thing!

I didn't let that put me off and now only have one or two sections i've yet to clean (or in some cases even attempt). Plus i made the mistake of going to a dig day 5yrs ago and it turns out i'm now addicted to that too!!

I'd back B.A.nana up and say its best shared with a like minded mate if your gonna play on the Warren Boulder Trail for the first time, its too easy to talk yourself out of things on your own.

As for the bike, the original builders thoughts were technical XC, think whats now called a Hardcore Hardtail but i prefer my Hemlock as it makes up for my lack of skill!

If you like techy climbing then the return leg is a proper challenge too.

As for Norwood, Stainburns natural side then head across the road, through the gate and look out for Yellow squares on the trees on your left.

A loop has been created that runs around the place taking in some great singletrack and more techy conundrums… Its a place to ride around with eyes peeled cos theres a lot more there than you think and it'll be riding fast, dry and loose at the mo. 😆

Edit. If you bring enough food, water & energy you could easily lose 4 or 5 hours and come back a better rider?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Stainburn please’ is closed to new replies.