Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tell me about skiing
  • steve-g
    Free Member

Hi

I am off on my first skiing holiday on the 19th of this month, I have booked everything except the lift passes and ski and boot hire which I think I need to do once I’m there.

I am hiring a coat, trousers and a helmet

What else am I going to need to get on my shopping trip this weekend? I reckon I have enough base layers that I use for running or cycling so all I can think of is decent socks and gloves.

What obvious things am I fogetting?

Steve

oddjob
    Free Member

Gloves, hat, socks, sunscreen and maybe a helmet

lunge

Thick ski socks as you’ll be using hire boots, some blister tape could be useful as well.
    A couple of pairs of gloves.
    A buff/snood/neck warmer.
    Head wear of some kind (helmet, head band, hat, whatever you choose).
    A hip flask.
    A lightweight fleece to wear under your jacket if it gets cold.

That is about it i think.

GrahamS

Sunnies/goggles?

Also don’t hire a jacket and trousers – just pick some up from Primark or TK Maxx (really).

beanum

Sunblock (you can buy that there)
    Goggles or shades (depending on weather)
    Neck warmer or balaclava (if forecast is really cold)

It’s normally cheaper to hire your skis in advance through your tour operator if possible, as you haven’t done so you could still switch to snowboarding.. 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

Book your skis/boots before you go, it’ll be almost half the price. You can always upgrade once you are there if you do need something else.

335.geek
    Free Member

I always take Ralgex and a handful of elasticated knee and ankle supoort bandages just in case. Always end up using some of the ralgex and the bandages always end up getting used by somebody, even if it’s nothing serious, knees and ankles can take a battering.

kiwijohn

It’s ace.

D0NK

I’ve hired stuff here and taken it with me, it means queuing up in a shop and trying stuff on here instead of wasting slopetime over there. Less support if something goes wrong but worth it IMO, as you tend to get checked out properly and take your time, make sure you got the right stuff etc. I found hiring stuff over there meant big queues and some over worked shop guy throwing some battered old kit at you thats roughly the right size YMMV tho. But after the bug has bitten buy your own gear 🙂

Some other good suggestions above, I’ll second tkmax for jacket and pants.

Oh and I dunno about skiing (i board) but take it easy first few days, learning is very tiring and when you get tired you make mistakes. Once it clicks tho it’s pretty effortless carving down a slope.

Let us know how you feel trying to get out of bed on the third day 🙂

thebunk

Hopefully you’ve booked lessons!

Renting boots isn’t that bad any more, but thick socks are nice, as are proper ski gloves and wrap around sunnies or goggles (whatever you wear for mountain biking, as long as you have dark lenses). Maybe not bother renting a helmet as it will probably cost you around 25 euros. If after the first few days you reckon you’ll want to do it again, buy one instead – they start at around 30-40 euros.

Oh yeah, and it’s ace – went skiing for the first time this year after a few bad seasons on a board, loved it!

teef
    Free Member

Get down the dry ski slope for a couple of lessons (private if you afford) and you’ll be streets ahead of all the other beginners and enjoy the holiday far more.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am hiring a coat, trousers

scotabroad

Dont wear thick socks with ski boots, far better with long thin ones, proper ski socks rather than long hillwalking type socks. IT does make a real difference for control, honest.

And make sure your bank account has plenty cash in it before you go, its amazing how much cash you rip through.

Enjoy it, once you hooked its and addictive sport 🙂

nickf
    Free Member

thin socks

yep

booking before you go

An internet search and boots are half the cost

TK Maxx

definitely

Skiing’s expensive, no doubt of that, but you’re better off spending money on lessons rather than a £300+ jacket. TK Maxx stuff ain’t always pretty, but it’s cheap and works well enough. Managed to get my daughter some perfectly decent ski-trousers for under £50, whereas the cheapest that Snow & Rock had were more than double that. Jackets can be had for £80 or so, and so long as you accept that you’re not going to have fabulously light and soft Spyder gear, you’re fine.

In my first few years I spent far too much money on completely the wrong kit. I’ve changed all of it since then, and in the last four years the only things I’ve bought for 6 weeks of skiing have been goggles (get decent ones – Smith or Oakley are noticeably better, but up to you what you want to spend) and a helmet. Again, cheap helmets and expensive ones probably protect your head just as well, but the nastier the helmet, the less you’ll enjoy the skiing.

Decent goggles are HUGELY pricey in-resort……I bought the items below and thought they were reasonable prices.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16119

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57341

giantonagiant

“Jackets can be had for £80 or so, and so long as you accept that you’re not going to have fabulously light and soft Spyder gear, you’re fine.”

I’ve even seen Spyder stuff in TK Maxx! As everyone has said, well worth a look.

+1 For Buff / balaclava

Obviously long base layers (top and bottom) can be handy if it’s mega cold too. I’m just back from U.S. and was wearing top and bottoms and balaclava most mornings till it warmed up.

Well worth sticking a helmet on.

Some great advice from the folks here, as ever, as they say… take it easy first 3 or 4 days.

Have fun.

tomstickland
    Free Member

See where your nearest Decathlon store is. They sell ski gear really cheaply.

Kit: socks, salopettes/trousers, decentish thermal top, sunglasses/goggles, helmet, gloves.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about skiing’ is closed to new replies.