Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tell me about Skegness and Mablethorpe
  • sharkattack

Is anyone a visitor to the Mabletherpe beach races?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx6AHu5Z9R8[/video]

I keep seeing it mentioned in the Sideburn, flat tracking community. The next meeting is on the 27th and I was thinking of a day out with the camera as the weather forecast is good.

But, it’s a 3 hour plus drive one way. So is it worth making a weekend of it? Everything I read about the place is very negative. Safe for a bit of urban van camping or give it a miss? Worth taking a bike or just have a donkey ride? Check into Butlins?

It can’t be all that bad. Or can it?

Basil

Do not drive three hours for the beach race.

Perfectly safe for urban van camping. Okay place but not worth that trip unless racing or supporting racer.

neilpass
    Free Member

Went to Mablethorpe to do a job one evening in the summer, place was overrun by pikeys who had set up camp within the town centre, even without them it’s a grim place

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

We have stayed at the Haven a couple of times in our tin tent, good site, good facilities etc. Watched the beach racing, never seen it before, quite enjoyed it as an event there’s a real mixed bag of bikes and rider abilities! 2 blokes got carted off in ambulances when they ran out of talent 👿
    They really go for it and race to win every one of them!
    Mablethorpe isn’t too bad for a couple of days, cheap to eat out, cheap boozers, slot machines and arcades too! If doughnuts and candy floss is your thing you’ll love it! Lol
    Skegness stadium isn’t too far away either they host stock car, banger racing, monster trucks etc
    As for urban camping I wouldn’t know, there is however some fantastic coastline nearby that I believe is good for motorhomes (possibly Huttoft I think) where you can pull up right next to the beach.
    Is it worth the 3 hour drive? Why not? Give it a go what’s the worst that can happen? 😉

sadexpunk

this is our bit of coastline, so know it quite well. 3 hr trip?? i certainly wouldnt, theres far better places to go thatd be nearer to you. skeg and mabo themselves are the typical loud slot machine type places, full of tat shops and jeremy kyle types. as mentioned above, theres a few lovely stretches of quiet beach (yes, near huttoft being one of them, anderby creek) time it right and youve also got the seals coming in to give birth at donna nook, thats probably around oct/nov time from memory tho.

mabo itself, the beach is lovely, its just the resorts/people themselves that spoil the area. thats IMHO of course, obviously theres plenty of people that flock there, and of course, ‘people watching’ there can be a very er…. ‘interesting’ experience.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Will the Lonsdale wearing Jeremy Kyleists venture out this time of year? I would imagine the place would be reasonably quiet?
    I think the OP wants to go for the bike beach racing anyway not for a romantic highbrow experience 😀

701arvn
    Free Member

The beach racing is fun, but I’m not sure I would drive three hours.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Used to go raving at Fantasy Island at Skegness, even on drugs it was shit.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve never seen as many Tap Out t shirts in all my life as we saw at Butlins* in the summer. And I live in Sunderland!

*As much as I hate to say it, Butlins is actually a good laugh with the kids

joolsburger
    Free Member

paulosoxo
    Free Member

SkegVegas baby!

benji
    Free Member

Beach racing good, mabo and skeg are not the nicest part of what is otherwise a lovely county.

colournoise

I’m spending Christmas in Skeg Vegas…

…shan’t be leaving the house much.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m considering training up for a 300k audax to Skeg Vegas on my birthday weekend in April.

Best thing is, Skeggy is the halfway point so I won’t have to stay long.

scaredypants

it’s all about Chapel, over that way, innit

woody21
    Free Member

Ah – Chapelle Sant Leonard, the Jewel of the Lincolnshire Coast

FOG

Used to do those winter race series regularly, great fun. You haven’t lived if you have climbed into race gear in a bitterly cold wind on Boxing Day on Mablethorpe beach. Very simple format,just an oval marked out with cones and a four lap race. One year the tide came in early due to high winds which made racing interesting! A mate’s goggles misted up and he started riding into the sea which didn’t do his bike a lot of good.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

You must have had loads of drugs Ben, fantasy island is at Ingoldmells 😆
    To be fair though it is a bit shit

ji
    Free Member

Mabo is a pretty tired seaside town (really just a large village). If you are coming over I would stay nearer Louth, which is a lovely old market town, and just visit Mabo for the amazing beaches (even better if you go to north end rather than the main beachfront in town). Skeggy is what it is – a seaside resort with all that entails, so if that’s your sort ofthing go for it.

Personally I avoid either in the season, but am probably headed to the beach later today for a walk in the howling gale!

rickmeister

Skeggy is what it is – a seaside resort with all the entrails, so if that’s your sort ofthing go for it.

Fify

Used to there as a kid and came away thinking it’s not the end of the world, but you can see the end from there …

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Skegness and Mablethorpe’ is closed to new replies.