Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tell me about: Second hand laptops
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Need to upgrade as current one 3-yo does nto have a processor big enough to handle the video from my GoPro which was a birthday pressie. need 2MHz or more (i think)
    Can’t currently strech to the £600 mark for the uber machines os is 2nd hand an option? and where to buy from please..

kimbers

all i know is a friend found a lot of very dodgy stuff in the trash when she got hers!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m told batteries are the biggest concern SH – often fubared and pricey to replace.

vinnyeh

cynic-al + 1.

mrmo
    Free Member

my 2009 Apple macbook Pro is telling me the battery needs servicing, what this means is the capacity has fallen below a set level, i still get a few hours from it so not fussed. I have just changed the battery on the SO’s HP laptop similar age but capacity was down to about an hour.

A new battery is, if you buy OE around £100.

Just a thought, are you sure the laptop can’t cope? more ram may be enough and is far cheaper.

Cougar

Do you know you have a CPU issue or are you guessing?

Might be upgrade options on the existing lapdog, is all.

Jamie
    Free Member

How much can you spend?

Bez

Refurbs from a recognised company with a warranty should be ok. Always budget for a new battery.

I got a Thinkpad for £70 from SCH, it rocks.

BrickMan

My laptop is from 2005, but it was a power monster back then (whilst still being a true laptop, and not some desktop processor powered lapheater), over years I’ve fed it more ram, and recently bought it a newer CPU, was about 1.6ghz 256mb L2 single core 64bit, now 2.4gjz 2mb L2 single core 64bit with 4gb of fasted ram MB will support, happily running windows 7 ultimate, CS5 and LR3.2 all day long alongside a chrome browswer with a minimum of 10tabs open at any one time. Also has a dedicated 256mb onboard graphics card from factory (which makes a huge difference over more onboard efforts).

Only thing thats ever failed was motherboard! Thankfully it coincided with HP disposing of their legacy spares and I got the next mobo up for £15 delivered from a disposal company rather than the £180-200 they normally cost.
    I call that good value, and it does everything I (and most others lol) would ever want. laptop was prob £700 in 2005, and I’ve maybe spent £150 since (inc a new genuine battery last year), and its still not a bad machine, not current, but not bad.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about: Second hand laptops’ is closed to new replies.