• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tell me about pet birds…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Anyone here have pet birds. Could they tell me about them? Wife is thinking a couple of Lovebirds but just be interested in hearing peoples experiences of different birds. Thanks in advance.

peteimpreza

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Not lovebirds, they make a god awful racket all the elfin time!!

GF had on when we first met, drove me around the bloody bend.

Two are ten times worse than one.

chewkw
    Free Member

You can always have a pair of chicken or duck as pet birds.

Trimix
    Free Member

You will end up looking at them and feel bad that they are not flying free.

Do not imprison animals – try sitting in a cage yourself for a few hours, never mind the rest of your life.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ernie’s your man for all things feathered.

prod him when you next see him on a thread.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It’s (sort of) like keeping a leopard in a pillowcase.

Hadge
    Free Member

A friend of mine has a Harris Hawk, a Goshawk and a Lanner Falcon. Now they are proper birds!

carlosg
    Free Member

no to lovebirds +1

We’ve had a pair and they are really noisy , ours decided not to love each other and to become canibals instead , they went to a local aviary minus a toe or two each.

We have a Blue Headed Conure called Jake

He’s 23 this year and mrs carlos has owned him since he was about 4 months old , has a great cheeky character but can be noisy (great guard dog).

If I could only choose 1 caged bird then it would have to be a Cockatiel , they’re fantastic little birds some can talk but generally mimick noises instead , they aren’t too noisy and don’t make a lot of mess.

Try to get one from a breeder not a pet shop and 1 is better than 2 as 2 keep each other occupied and ignore you.

make sure the cage you buy is big enough ,probably at least twice the size you think you need at first

sweepy
    Free Member

All kinds of wrong in my book.

brakes
    Free Member

I always fancied a rook

NikNak7890
    Free Member

My wife has an African Grey Parrot. It is incredibily noisy, very demanding (will yell and yell as soon as you leave the room) and unbelievably messy!

Certainly not on my list of beloved pets.

yunki
    Free Member

very demanding and very often quite aggressively so.. also very jealous..

I lived with a girl who kept a cockatiel.. it flew around the house and would be quite unpleasant and noisy if it was shut in it’s cage for too long.. it was only a small fella but it could quite easily draw blood if it was irked.. it poo’d everywhere..

I can also safely say that cockatiel poo tastes like zopiclone sleeping tablets after the little fecker surreptitiously left a wee message for me in a coronation chicken sandwich that I was trying to enjoy..

I was at a graffiti convention recently and there was a geezer there with a pet crow.. it seemed amiable enough

psling
    Free Member

As a child we had a minah bird which was fascinating for us youngsters; really good talker. My sister took on some kind of parrot when she bought a pet shop some years ago and subsequently sold the thing for over £1000 😯 Never appealed to me to have a caged bird though.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Birds should live in the woods – end of

donsimon
    Free Member

Birds should live in the woods – end of

Even those whose natural habital is the mountains? 😕

iDave
    Free Member

I have a Raven, black as night, lives in the highest room of the tallest tower. Answers to the name Vlad.

sweepy
    Free Member

We had one like that- ours was called clive

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie’s your man for all things feathered.

Not really……….only pigeons/doves and members of the Corvidae family.

None of which I would recommend as pets really.

Taff
    Free Member

No to lovebirds too. I have a female budgie called Bruce. She was meant to be a he as they’re easier to get to talk. She squawks a lot but mainly because the cats sleep on top of her cage.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about pet birds…’ is closed to new replies.