Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tell me about Norway
  • disco_stu
    Free Member

I’ve got a long weekend planned in a few weeks and the other half suggested going to Norway – Bergen or Oslo possibly but anywhere else considered as well.
    I know its going to be pricey but how pricey is it?
    Any recommendations of things to do ( sadly no MTBing as my g/f isn’t into it)
    How likely is it we’ll see some Northern Lights ( assuming theres no clouds) Would going further north to Trondheim make it more likely?

Thanks for any help!

rkk01
    Free Member

Lovely place, although haven’t been for a long time.

Friendly people too.

BUT – food and drink are very expensive.

I’d be inclided to go to Bergen and the fjords rather than Oslo

MrNutt
    Free Member

if it were to be hinged at the bottom of the country and then folded down across the globe it’s top would reach the tip of Africa.

Stoner
    Free Member

Only been once but fell in love with the place.

If I could go back, Id go straight back to Utne and the Hardangerfjord

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=utne&hl=en&ll=60.364997,6.621323&spn=0.279771,0.891953&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=21.48829,57.084961&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=11

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It is very expensive – £25 for a take out pizza and coke the last time I was there and that was about 6 years ago.

About £7 a pint.

😮

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But Bergen is beautiful (as I am sure the rest of Norway is). We used to go up on the ferry and sail through the fjords. Been in winter and summer and it is equally beautiful.

IA

Ditto mastiles – it’s very expensive. Spent a long weekend in Oslo visiting a friend, it was great. Museums and galleries to see, nice parks, then a tram out to the hills for a walk in the forests one day.

Price wise, the rule of thumb seemed to be work out the UK price, double it. I think two large takeaway pizzas and a bottle of coke cost us about £50. Only went out drinking with some bankers..let them buy the drinks 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Dont think you will see any Northern Lights unless you go far North. Still unlikely at this time of year.

If you are in Oslo go out to the Fram museum just brilliant. As said above eye watering expensive but a great place.

DrJ

Look at going from Bergen on a “Norway in a nutshell” cruise. Or just taking the telepherique thing up from the town to the surrounding plateau.

Norway is a fabulously beautiful country, with high prices, diabolical food, and boring inhabitants.

My 2 øre 🙂

nedrapier

Not much difference between Trondheim and Bergen, so go to the city you like the look of the most:

September in Trondheim

September in Bergen

I spent 2 weeks driving/biking/hiking/camping round Southern Norway last year and absolutely loved it. We steered clear of the cities, though. I think you need a 2 or 3 days in a city to get to know it, and we were there for the landscape and the nature.

Planning a trip further north to the Lyngen Alps and Lofoten. Probably in summer, but I’d love to go ski touring up there, too.

TheFlyingOx

diabolical food

Hehe. My mum just went on a fjords cruise, but stopped off in Bergen. She went out for dinner and was treated to a “special dish”: boiled cauliflower. Apparently the ground is so hard and permafrosted that growing veg can be kinda tricky. Restaurant owner was apparently quite annoyed as everyone sat there with a “WTF?” look on their faces.

nedrapier

Norwegians have a well-developed sense of themselves, which other Scandinavians find amusing. A Danish friend once told me a no doubt ancient and familiar joke, about an international prize that is offered for writing an essay about elephants. The British entry is about hunting elephants (you see how antique the story is); the French entry is about how elephants make love; the Italian entry is about cooking elephant meat. The Norwegian entry is called ‘Norway, Beautiful Norway’.

http://www.bahighlife.com/News-And-Blogs/John-Simpson/Letter-from-Oslo.html

catsplums
    Free Member

I have been to Oslo and just outside 3 or 4 times for work and had the pleasure of being shown around by a friend there, pretty place and would love to explore more but for me the prices are prohibative, great place adn people though and very lucky to see it with work paying 🙂

darrell
    Free Member

hi from a little place called Hommersåk about 40km from Stavanger.

If you are only here for a weekend then I would go to Oslo. Its the only place you would recognise as an actual city.

But if you want scenary then pretty much anywhere is great – Bergen and Stavanger are very nice and have some excellent one day trips available.

Very unlikely to see any northern lights. wrong time of the year. Its too light and you really need to go up north to Trømso.

and the cost is a pain in the ar5e for visitors ut just be careful where you eat and drink and you’ll be fine.

mossimus
    Free Member

Spent a long weekend in Oslo last year, just to reiterate the above it is stupidly stupidly expensive. It makes Courchevel mountain restaraunt prices seem reasonable!

To give you an idea a meal for 2 in McDs was over £30.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A few years ago I did a 2 week dirtbag ryanair/rail/camping trip. Got as far North as Narvik before getting distracted.

Highlights:

The viking museum in Oslo, including long boats
    The rail journeys themselves
    Mountain railway and ferry boat combo day-trip (somewhere in the south, I forget)
    Getting reasonably up close to muskox (big scary sheep and grumpy ice-age survivors, beware)
    Lofoten islands
    River gorge scrambling/swimming/jumping
    Refreshingly directly spoken people – reminded me or Yorkshiremen

Lowlights:
    Expensive food and hotels (we had only 3 hotel nights in the end)
    Unintentionally eating whale, bought from a fish and chip shop
    Noisy campsite in Voss
    Coming home

Edit: it was the Flam railway and Sognefjord ferry with an arranged coach to complete the loop.

ebygomm
    Free Member

It is eye wateringly expensive but beautiful. I’ll definitely be back. We flew into Trondheim but stayed around Molde.

Trondheim is very nice but not sure you’d fill a long weekend, plenty to see in that area but not sure how feasible it is transport wise for just a weekend.

Photos from area around Trondheim

100mphplus
    Free Member

Did a 1 week cycling holiday in the Lofoten Islands 2 years ago, beautiful scenery, V friendly people but ridiculous prices!!

2 course meal + pint in a bar / restaurant £45 – £50 each 😯 Went into a supermarket to buy some ‘cheap’ stuff and even normal day to day shopping is expensive. Everything is about 2-3 times more expensive than UK.

If you don’t like fish or lamb then you may struggle to eat 😆

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Norway’ is closed to new replies.