Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Tell me about NLP?
  • spacemonkey

do any of these counsellor / life coach thinks work?

Yes and no.

Are there cowboys out there? Yes

Are there excellent coaches out there? Yes

Are people being ripped off? Yes

Are people making positive changes (small or large) in their lives? Yes

I know some shit coaches (and coach training organisations) and I know some brilliant ones. I also coached for 2-3 years.

geetee1972
    Free Member

+1 for Spacemonkey

spacemonkey

I should also add there’s another type of coach/practitioner: the one that’s nervous and/or doesn’t really know what they’re doing – and IS totally aware of this. Sometimes this is as a result of being poorly ‘trained.’ Other times it’s because they’re new to the game or coaching etc really isn’t for them.

Nevertheless, they seek a few clients (typically friends, old colleagues and people they don’t know but who are desperate for someone to ‘help’ them). And invariably they make a balls up. Is that good for the name of coaching/NLP? Sure as hell, no – regardless of that fact they had the best of intentions.

Philby

I know a number of people who are into NLP – a couple in a very big way, almost evangelical. However I think all of them are so completely wrapped up in themselves that their behaviour and attitudes towards others negates any perceived benefits to themselves. It does come across as a bit cult like, and not in a good way, although I am sure there are elements of it that may be useful if adopted in appropriate circumstances.

woodsman
    Free Member

I’ve read two books on NLP well, almost finished the second one! For me it just re-affirmed what I already knew deep down, but allowed me to bring that to the fore and reset a few buttons so to speak, regarding things I may have been hanging on to in the back of my mind. I found it fun and quite liberating. In fact I’ve just included an NLP book in my packing for an overnight stay after a funeral today.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about NLP?’ is closed to new replies.