Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tell me about Netflix and so on.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

We have DVDs by post from lovefilm, which I now is now part of Amazon. I think it’s about £8 a month.

Would we be better off with Netflix or the Amazon one? Particularly if we wanted to watch the TV shows like Breaking Bad and that sort of thing that we invariably miss on the normal telly, as well as films.

We don’t bother with sky anymore though, if that matters.

What’s the best option and what kit would I need to buy?

Drac

If you want to watch Breaking Bad then it’s Netflix.

spudly1979
    Free Member

We use our virgin TiVo box to get Netflix, but you can use any phone or tablet with a chrome cast or similar device and cast it to the tv. I would guess Apple TV and the lk e would also work.

Netflix itself is very good. We mainly use it for watching the tv shows, so house of cards at the momentum, with breaking bad waiting in the wings. It’s merely ok for films, you can usually find something to watch but the films seem way behind sky movies.

Can’t comment on Amazon films as not tried it though.

bigblackshed

Your Lovefilm account should give you access to Amazon Prime Instant Video. “The Amazon one”

Amazon now own Lovefilm, have done for about a year. Log in to Amazon or Lovefilm and it’s all the same.

Amazon is OK. Lots free but you will run out of things to watch, or at least worthwhile things. The big name latest releases are mostly pay extra for, or “to buy”. I don’t know about Netflix, but I imagine it will be similar. Some things will be available on one service and not the other, and vice versa.

We run Amazon through the Playstation 3, can do the same with Netflix. You could run it through a laptop and use your TV as a monitor if you have an upto date TV. Amazon do a stand alone box for about £70.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We have both at the moment but only because we have a month free with Netflix. Once that’s over I’ll probably just stick with Amazon. I like the DVD option for films as there’s more choice on DVD. You also have the stuff on Amazon prime and the option to rent things online. We had Netflix before but once we’d watched Breaking Bad we canceled it.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m sure anybody new can get a months free trial with Netflix which will give you an idea of whether you like it or not.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

We just signed up to Netflix last month, if you’re not bothered about the latest releases then it’s pretty good. Currently working my way through Sons of Anarchy and the missus quite likes Suits

It seems to get watched a hell of a lot more than Sky at the moment

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Don’t forget NowTV.

thegreatape
    Free Member

NowTV – thanks, that’s the one someone mentioned and I couldn’t remember, a tenner for the box or something.

can I do either of them with the same box connected to the TV?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I do netflix and nowtv through the xbox360. You can also apparently do them both through an Apple TV box.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We thought Netflix was a bit crap to be honest. If you want to watch loads of stuff that’s already been on TV, then yeah, fill yer boots
    Want a decent film made in the last 10 years? Very limited choice. We cancelled after a free month.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I fancy watching breaking bad and house of cards and so on, although I’m not going to,buy an Xbox or £80 Amazon box to do it. Maybe I’ll just stick with DVDs, although it’ll work on my iPad won’t it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Amazon has more up to date stuff, but you end up having to pay for the most recent series. Not necessarily a bad thing – it’s often £6 for 23 episodes of something which is pretty good value for money. Still nothing like the cost of Sky and far more.

We have both. Netflix is good for stuff like foreign blockbuster films that we never got in the cinema – some ace Korean stuff on there. Just don’t be put off by old or foreign stuff.

bigblackshed

Amazon works fine through an ipad. You can get a lead to connect your ipad to the TV which makes watching a lot more enjoyable.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah right, never knew you could connect an iPad to the TV. I suppose I should try a free trial of each.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Netflix and so on.’ is closed to new replies.