Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Tell me about… Megadeath
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Despite being a lifelong metal fan, they have completely passed me by. However, on watching Download on Sky Arts recently I thought they sounded really very good on the two tracks they played so – what album(s) are the best to start with?

philconsequence
    Free Member

Megadeath…. in this heat?!

alfabus
    Free Member
    MrSalmon
    Free Member

So Far, So Good… So What! is their best stuff IMO.

kimbers

if you watch some kind of monster dave gis-stain is all baby crying coz metallica kicked him out!

i think countdownto extinction was their peak?

nbt

Megadeth. Only one “a”.

Peace sells… but who’s buying is great. So far, so good, so what is also great. Dave Mustaine’s one of those “characters”, his autobiography is a pretty good read

philconsequence
    Free Member

ohhhhh can we start a metallica vs megadeaaath thread?

Cougar

I appreciate that this is tantamount to the blasphemy that saying Metallica’s best work was the black album, but I always thought Megadeth were at their finest circa Countdown to Extinction / Youthanasia.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

There is also that clip on Cliff em All with Dave Mustaine playing guitar on ‘Whiplash’.

I would say in the age of Spotify, start at the beginning. But I personally prefer the earlier stuff.

CountZero

Wot, no umlauts? 😀

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Back in the day I was a big fan of Megadeth and Metallica but now I would say that only some of Metallica’s stuff has stood the test of time, other than for nostalgic reasons

robgarrioch

I’ve been known to tear-up over a certain lyric in ‘A Tout Le Monde’…

In my defence, it was one of those ‘driving south to meet the family for Christmas, 2 days after being inches from death by crushing, wondering how my partner and then-year-old son would have gone on without me’ moments.

I M’dTFU shortly afterwards.

Oh, the lyric is “If my heart… were still alive, I know it would surely break.”

Otherwise, there are few better riffs than ‘Set the World Afire’ 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So the consensus then is to just listen to it all on Spotify? I shall do that then.

\m/

julianwilson
    Free Member

My favourite album on balance is Rust In Peace.

Autobiography is rather funny at points. Turns out that when I saw them live as a starstruck teenager, Mustaine was without his usual heroin links and nervy about trying to score abroad, so was all over the shop on anything else he could get his hands on. Funny, I thought he played rather well!

I am still trying to work out whether his Acceptance Of Christ Into His Life (for this is the sort of language the book employs by the end!) is for real, or just a joke along the lines of “Mustaine? Jesus? wtf?”

carlosg
    Free Member

Peace sells… but who’s buying is great. So far, so good, so what is also great

+1, they started to go downhill a bit for me after these ,mrscarlos had a BIG crush on Dave Mustaine in the 90’s

MrsToast
    Free Member

I appreciate that this is tantamount to the blasphemy that saying Metallica’s best work was the black album, but I always thought Megadeth were at their finest circa Countdown to Extinction / Youthanasia.

Aye, I was listening to Youthanasia yesterday, bloody cracking album. My favourite Megadeth albums are:

1: Countdown to Extinction
    2: Youthanasia
    3: So Far, So Good… So What
    4: Rust In Peace
    5: Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying?
    6: Killing Is My Business… And Business Is Good!
    7: Cryptic Writings

Rather tragically I lost interest with Risk, and haven’t heard any of their albums since. Might have to give the newer stuff a punt.

Oh, and although I love Megadeth, I don’t think that they did anything that quite reached the heights of Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets. But then again, I don’t think Megadeth quite sunk to St Anger lows… 😆

Fun fact! I once had a debate with Dave Mustaine over the correct pronunciation of the letter ‘Z’! 😀

nbt

Oh, and although I love Megadeth, I don’t think that they did anything that quite reached the heights of Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets. But then again, I don’t think Megadeth quite sunk to St Anger lows…

QFT, Bro. Uummm, sis. heard a 30 second preview of a track from Lulu and haven’t bothered to listen to any more.

Might spend some time on Spotify though listening to Megadeth’s later albums

giant_scum
    Free Member

My only Megadeth connection is I once had lunch with the bass player and his heavily pregnant wife at a pizza place in Scottsdale Arizona. Had a rather interesting discussion with his wife about guns! Never knowingly listened to any of their music, so don’t know what the best album is.

restless
    Free Member

So Far, So Good… So What! is their best stuff IMO.

I agree 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

I could never get past his awful vocals, great music though.

angeldust
    Free Member

Countdown to Extinction is probably the best place to start. Great album and probably the most accessible, and their peak. Go back in time from there, rather than forward (Youthanasia was a big disappointment).

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 Pigface, vocals are terrible.

franki
    Free Member

I’ve never liked them much at all.
    I saw them a couple of times in the late 80s, but they were p!$$ poor and in both cases the support acts blew them away.
    Peace Sells had some good bits but I don’t really like anything they released later than that.
    Dave Mustaine is a pretentious ****t, who still can’t get over being booted out of Metallica, can’t sing live and thinks he’s a guitar virtuoso, having elevated Megadeth above all other bands with thrash metal at their root.
    Way overrated IMO.

lodious
    Free Member

Didn’t Dave Mustaine express some Pro IRA sentiments while playing a gig in Ireland….Northen Ireland 😯 ? I think he was surprised when it didn’t provoke the response he expected.

He also visited Auschwitz with a ‘Megadeth’ logo in the back of his jacket, which could be construed as the actions of a bellend.

mikey74
    Free Member

Personally, I think Rust in Piece and Peace Sells… are their best by far. However, DM has turned into a complete jerk in the last couple of years (due to his religious and conservative political views) and I refuse to give him any more of my money.

I am sure he couldn’t care less about my stance, but so what!!! (see what I did there?)

professor_fate
    Free Member

hold on tight now…
    plug your headphones in, turn vol to 11… enjoy!!

garage-dweller

Cryptic Writings was a bit tedious (although guitar parts easier for the domestic fiddler). Most of the stuff before was half decent or better. Nowhere near as good as Metallica (who have had their iffy moments too) imo but still worth having some in the collection. Better metal than both of them though – got a boxed set of 5 Suicidal Tendencies cd s from amazon the other week, which I am quite enjoying.

ratherbeintobago

Didn’t Dave Mustaine express some Pro IRA sentiments while playing a gig in Ireland….Northen Ireland ? I think he was surprised when it didn’t provoke the response he expected.

Yes.

Andy

nbt

ST Rocks. Suicidal for life! I’ll never forgive Metallica for poaching Rob Trujillo though

garage-dweller

Rob Trujillo + 6string bass good stuff. Asleep at the Wheel bassline possibly my favorite of all.

solarpowered
    Free Member

So far, so good, so what! -no comparison!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Megadeth are one of my favorite metal bands and have been for years. I’ve pretty much always preferred them to metallica, who I find pretty hit and miss. Megaedth are dull as shit to watch live, but they’re a great studio recording band.

Personally, I think they lost their way a bit with Countdown to Extinction and the stuff afterwards, which was IMO far more mainstream. I missed out the last 10 years really, on the basis of Youthansia, which I thought was terrible, but recently got hold of the System has Failed, which I enjoyed hugely and reminded me of their earlier stuff.

So, start at the begining. Peace sells and so far, so good, so what and Rust in Peace are the definitive albums for me.

But what do I know, I like Suicidal Tendencies, Cinderella and Pantera…

sparkyrhino

I was suprised they were good at download,hadn’t seen them live since the late 80’s. And dave mustaine always was a cockend smackhead

allyharp

Dave seems to have calmed his ego a bit in the last few years (playing on stage with Metallica, brining David Ellefson back into the band…) and I think the whole band is performing a lot better for it. Chris Broderick is a great addition, I can only hope the band sticks together in this lineup for some time to come.

kimbers

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about… Megadeath’ is closed to new replies.