Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tell me about lawn mowers
  • spacemonkey

… for an undulating 300sqm garden.

Flymo blew up end of last summer and have been borrowing a Hayter since. Think it's time to buy something with preferred options being Bosch 320 or 34 Rotak, or maybe small petrol jobby.

Would prefer to spend <£100 and happy to go second hand, etc.

What say you?

TVM SM

wwaswas

I've got a Rotak – it does a cracking job.

Petrol's a pain unless you need to do somewhere with no mains (when it obviously does have advantages!) or a very large lawn.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Small petrol rotary every time. Anything with a Briggs and Stratton or Honda motor will be perfect. Lawn will be mown and Pimms poured before you'd have time to roll up the cable on a lecci one.

spacemonkey

I've got a Rotak – it does a cracking job.

I've heard mixed comments on the Rotak – is your lawn flat and smooth or rough and bumpy?

wwaswas

bit of both really.

if you're looking for a bowling green finish then it's probably not for you. If you just want to keep the grass shortish it'll be fine.

spacemonkey

Sounds similar to ours, hence wanting something that isn't going to kick up the occassional divot like the Hayter did.

wwaswas

the height adjustment is pretty easy to do and I've never had problems.

ski
    Free Member

2nd Briggs and Stratton or Honda motor, you might struggle to find one for <£100, Saying that, I missed out on a second hand B&S going for £50 in my local paper recently!

mudshark
    Free Member

I got my Dad's Honda when he moved to a smaller place. Electric would be a pain but they're a lot cheaper.

spacemonkey

Can't really justify going over £100 even for a decent petrol motor, and don't want to take a gamble on an old one for say £50 and then have to pay 2-3 times that in repairs soon after.

Will probably go with the Rotak methinks.

Cheers

MRanger156
    Free Member

Go petrol and 3rd the makes above. Dad has a Hayter with a Briggs and Stratton engine that has been going strong for years.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Another reason for getting a petrol one, it'll make your shed smell all lovely and petroly and cut-grassish.

Mmmmm…

boxelder

Check the oil. I ran our new B&S dry the second time I used it. The bloke at the tip gave it a good home (after several attempts at revival from me and dad-in-law).
    We've got an outdoor socket now, so may go Flymo.

andywarner
    Free Member

i picked up an old honda like the ones the council use for £40. This is it's third season (with me) and it always start first time. must be 15 years old.

large418
    Free Member

The Briggs and Stratton in my Hayter didn't last long (without any oil in it). But I can recommend Hayter petrol mowers (on my 2nd now)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about lawn mowers’ is closed to new replies.