Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Tell me about kitchens and worktops
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Back from Howden’s they quotedme 1804 for a Greenwich kitchen, in beach, with hob and cooker. It’s a fairly large u shaped kitchen, and just a bit cheaper (unsurprisingly) than IKEA’s.

I’m not 100% happy with some bits, they appear to have changed some sizes of units making them smaller for the corner, but that will be sorted out tomorrow when I go back to speak them tomorrow.

So….

Anybody have a gloss laminate worktop? Not happy with Howden’s price on their worktops and there are fancier gloss ones, but a bit worried about the glossyness remaining.

Anybody have experience with gloss worktops?

What should I be paying for oven and hob? they want 212.10 which doesn’t seem that bad, but only 1 year warranty.

Is that reasonable or not?

tthew

Yes, gloss laminate gets dulled/scratched by anything abrasive. Been there, done that. It does look good granted, but not go for matt unless you want to shell out the 😯 how much ?? for granite.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

depends on which oven and hob how much. Mine were 3 times that – but its a nice double oven and a smeg hob

steve_b77
    Free Member

They’re very useful to prevent your food from falling into your cupboards/drawers when preparing it 😆

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

do NOT under any circumstances get gloss, especially black. they scratch to buggery and look tired remarkably quickly. There was a craze about 5 years ago where every kitchen I fitted for about a year had gloss worktops (customer request, despite trying to talk them out of it), I don’t think they’ll be many still in.

Howdens cabinets are 575mm+20mm for doors, their worktops are 616mm wide do not buy from elsewhere unless they are at least the same width as the overhangs look naff. The worktop from Howdens might not be the cheapest but it’s a lot better quality than from B&Q and the like.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

£212 for an oven and hob is OK but it will be very basic for that, as mentioned above £4-600 is common place for single ovens these days and up to £800 for an induction hob. All warranties will be a year if you spend £10 or £1000, selling enhanced warranty for appliances is big business these days, I wouldn’t bother personally.

Ikea have some very strange unit sizes so it doesn’t suprise me that Howdens have had to alter some sizes to make a similar design fit, nearly every kitchen manu has a slightly different way of doing things.

damo2576
    Free Member

Dont get a wood work top, goes all mouldy by the sink

jimithenomad
    Free Member

dont get gloss worktop as stated by plenty of the other posts, you will be fighting a losing battle trying to keep it looking gloss in the heavy useage areas. In my own experience it went milky/cloudy and dull far too quickly on a very expesine kitchen only for me to have it replaced with corian which i was lucky enough to get free from a job where the client did not like it and it was going in the skip.more money than sense !!!

Dimmadan
    Free Member

DO NOT GET GLOSS OR YOU WILL END UP KILLING YOURSELF!

I got gloss, used the kitchen for a month and the scratches that appeared were a joke. We always use chopping boards and the top was littered with marks. Ended up ripping them out, going to B&Q with a screw in my pocket and rubbed it over their non gloss worktops and found they didn;t scratch. They have been in for a year with no marks on.

Xylene
    Free Member

THe design was based on what I had measured up by my brother, but for some reason they have altered the 1000 corner units to 800’s, not sure why they would have done that, but they have.

Thanks for the info on the worktops, will stick with the dark matt I have chosen. Went for the cheapest option of a beech finish, due to carcass having a beech inside as well.

Brother thinks there is some more haggling room there or at least some upgrade potential. They claim it’s the October special sale, which it does actually appear to be, and needs to be ordered by 30th.

Not my money to spend though, but have carte blanche to do as I feel, near enough, as long as I don’t get carried away. Functional and lasting was the description of what was wanted (plus soft close)

Tracey

Just had ours done, went for granite in the end as I want it to last 20 years like the last one, cooker cost £600 and the fridge, freezer and dish washer were £400 each

Xylene
    Free Member

Got a decent freestanding fridge freezer so keeping that.

Washing machine as well is decent, so will just wedge that under for now.

Dishwasher will be bought and fitted either there and then or later, depending on mates funds.

Looking at oven and hobs, it will do the job, we never use the oven anyway, missus uses the hob a lot more than the oven.

Quite tempted by one of those induction hobs, but not sure she would like cooking on it.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

A 1000mm unit actually requires 1131mm of room to work properly, and 800mm corner unit needs 1031mm, maybe thats’s the answer?

Induction hobs are really good to work on, very controlable, nothing like ceramic or tradtional electric but you need special pans for them, if yours are not magnetic they won’t work. Usually stamped on the bottom if they’re ok to use, otherwise test with a magnet.

Oh, and haggle hard. Howdens are desperate to sell kitchens at the mo.

druidh
    Free Member

damo2576 – Member
    Dont get a wood work top, goes all mouldy by the sink

Toss

Xylene
    Free Member

That sounds probable.

Any idea as to what to expect off the 1804?

I was thinking closer to 1400, but that is a fair old discount.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

No idea I’m afraid, worth chucking a number at them and see what they say. don’t think they’ll have that much of a margin to give away but if you don’t ask you don’t get.

GrahamS

Dont get a shite quality wood work top, goes all mouldy by the sink if you have a stupid design where the wood by the sink gets wet constantly and is not properly treated

Fixed that for you 😉

Oak worktops here. Not a mark on them despite us being untidy kitchen slobs.
    Water, red wine, curry. Not a problem.

Xylene
    Free Member

Do you have to oil the oak worktops a lot?

druidh
    Free Member

No

(but thanks for the kick up the arse as I haven’t done mine in over a year).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My beech worktop has got a little mildew next to the sink after nearly ten years. As its solid wood it will be easy to deal with. I much prefer wood to laminate.

Lanesra
    Free Member

Serious answer, I can get you (at least) 25% off that quote, if you order from the Uxbridge branch

Or another option (having ordered 18 howdens kitchens in the last three-months) I wouldn’t bother and go to Magnets (open a Trade account on the day, order and pay) By the time they refuse your trade account it doesn’t matter and you’ve paid – You get a Kitchen much better than Howeden’s efforts and save lots

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

do NOT under any circumstances get gloss, especially black. they scratch to buggery and look tired remarkably quickly. There was a craze about 5 years ago where every kitchen I fitted for about a year had gloss worktops (customer request, despite trying to talk them out of it), I don’t think they’ll be many still in.

We have had ours in since 2003 and it looks fine despite having major extension work done (think stupid workmen/tools/using worktops interface). And it’s a Howdens one too.

olie
    Free Member

URGH1

Do I really want to get into this?

Don’t buy an Ikea kitchen, quality is OK but designed with Euro services in mind. i.e a nightmare to fit in anything other than a new house with plumbing coming up from the floor. The solid wood doors they do are very good, unit good quality but a pain ti fit and the worktops are shit quality laminate but good quality solid wood. What you save relative to similar quality stuff you’ll spend on fitters.

Howdens and B&Q come out of the same factory worktop wise, probably units too. Nothing wrong with either especially if price is the major factor. I’ve fitted both to my houses and they’ve stood up well to tenanted use, probably wouldn’t put one in my own house mind.

Should you go with either make sure you get current stock cos around Feb/March this year both companies had some Q/C issues. Mainly poorly laminated product both on units and tops.

Don’t be scared off gloss worktops, our kitchen has been in for 10 years now and has no marks on the tops at all. By choosing a quality and timeless design you can make the kitchen be an investment that lasts years. Buy a cheap fashionable kitchen it will look shit in a couple of years.

If you can afford it granite is good but probably not worth the money, buy it if you like it.

Solid wood worktops do require a bit of love but by their nature can and will last forever.

Hope this helps

Xylene
    Free Member

Lansera

I’m up in Newcastle, so a bit far for a delivery from Uxbridge.

damo2576
    Free Member

Fixed that for you

Oak worktops here. Not a mark on them despite us being untidy kitchen slobs.
    Water, red wine, curry. Not a problem.

You’re probably right, the kitchen I was referring to was one we had a a rental house we had to stay in for a little bit – was probably cheap. It did burn also when you put a hot pan on it, not sure if thise would happen on more quality wood? My wifes a chef so our kitchens get a pretty industrial workout.

We have a Leicht kitchen now with Granite which I would wholeheartedly recommend.

GrahamS

We put Osmo Top Oil on our oak worktops. Roughly every six months. It just brushes on with a paintbrush so it is about an hours job.

It’s nice stuff (mix of linseed and wax). Once treated water should form droplets on the wood rather than soak in.

It may well still burn if you put a hot pan on it tho – never tried that!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh the ever debate about kitchens! It’s taken about 2 years to sort ours out and finally it’s being installed on 15th Nov. we started at Ikea (well Homebase before that but their prices REALLY take the pi$$) so looked at Ikea. Started getting kitchen fitters in for quotes who all said they are a nightmare and all of the fitters dealt with Howdens. We are getting Howdens kitchen but our work tops from elsewhere. We spent weeks in the ever dilemma of what work tops and we have decided on oak. i was told you have to oil them maybe twice a year and it’s just about not being too manky, ie leaving a huge amount of sitting water behind the sink as obviously anything in that situation would give you that black gunk! Looking forward to getting new kitchen now although still yet to choose paint colour!! Good luck it’s such a dull hideous experience, I’m sure it’ll look great when it’s done (better than the rotting flesh colour we have now).

EDIT: And kitchen fitters all said to stay away from gloss they are a nightmare!

Xylene
    Free Member

Can anybody do me a Magnet quote to wave under Howden’s nose?

They are being all arsey about dropping that 1804 price.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Howdens and B&Q come out of the same factory worktop wise, probably units too.

Er, No, they don’t. Quality difference is massive on the worktops and the units are completely difference in both construction and finish.

For Oak worktops I use http://www.woodworktops.com great quality and good prices. Mine is 3 years old now, has a undermount sink and has only been oiled once. If you do it well in the 1st place it lasts a lot longer than some same but once a year would be a good guide.

I don’t like Magnet kitchens much myself, fitted plenty but the Howdens ones for me are easier to work with, thus provide a better finished job. That could be because I was an MFI premier fitter and they used the same kitchens as Howdens still supply?

Let them be arsey, your the one with the money. When does the sale offer end at Howdens? wait until the last few hours then go in again, they’ll normally have rung you by that time chasing orders to see if you still want it, if they haven’t you’ve not lost anything.

You’ve not said how many units that price is for or how much worktop etc. £1800 isn’t that much for an average sized full kitchen inc. oven and hob, does it include sinks/taps etc? so don’t be expecting massive reductions.

postierich
    Free Member

Granite all the way!

DSC00118 by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Xylene
    Free Member

1 x 1000 3 drawer base
    1 600 h/l base
    2 x800 corner base
    3 1000 f/h wall
    1 600 hob wall
    1 6000 fre and frz aptwr
    5 bunose cornice/pel
    3 2750m plinth
    1 ss conv oven and hob int
    1 strainer waste and plumb kit for
    15 metal door handle
    6 soft cose hinge pack
    2 beech custom fit pane
    1 1.5 sink
    1 chrome mono bock tap
    3 3mbackstone work surface
    1 workstop edging blackstone

That is on the order list. Need to check again with them to see what the plans are like.

petrieboy

Just finished fitting an ikea kitchen. No service space but for me that just meant cutting the sink base unit to allow washer and dishwasher and waste. No need on the other units. They are deeper than “standard” but I mounted them against the blockwork and only had the Walls above plastered so wasn’t an issue using 600mm worktops. There own worktops are rubbish and only come in short lengths. They are cheap tho.
    I got bushboard high gloss worktops (ruby quartz) which look great. Went into it eyes wise open but I’m treating it as a fashion item so if it doesn’t last it’ll get replaced with solid wood or maybe an expensive composite later.
    For me ikea had the right balance of price, quality and features. Very easy to fit and the service space issue is easy to work around.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about kitchens and worktops’ is closed to new replies.